joemen - Programming issues

joemen

joemen - Programming issues

Post by joemen »

I have made mine worse, I tried to up load latest software and got this
>>>: avrdude
G4VDX_truSDX_ my number_Firmware.hex: 31,480 / 32,768 Bytes (96.07%)
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
>>>: avrdude -u -c arduino -p m328p -P COM8 -b 115200 -U flash:w:"C:\Users\Jane\Downloads\G4VDX_truSDX_my number_Firmware.hex":a

avrdude.exe: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.00s

avrdude.exe: Device signature = 0x1e950f (probably m328p)
avrdude.exe: NOTE: "flash" memory has been specified, an erase cycle will be performed
To disable this feature, specify the -D option.
avrdude.exe: erasing chip
avrdude.exe: reading input file "C:\Users\Jane\Downloads\G4VDX_truSDX_my number_Firmware.hex"
avrdude.exe: input file C:\Users\Jane\Downloads\G4VDX_truSDX_my number_Firmware.hex auto detected as Intel Hex
avrdude.exe: writing flash (31480 bytes):

Writing | avrdude.exe: ser_send(): write error: sorry no info avail
avrdude.exe: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
#avrdude.exe: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

AVRDUDE killed
Have killed the M32P ? , oLED not on and rig will not work on USB or 12 volt supply.
I followed instructions as in screen shots.
Joe G4VDX
Faraaz VK4JJ

Re: joemen - Programming issues

Post by Faraaz VK4JJ »

You mentioned you were worried about burning your atmega before - what was the fault state before you tried uploading the latest version?
Joe

Post by Joe »

RX was fine, all Menu functions worked.
No power on TX.
I know I should have stopped at that point untill it was solved.
As I cant now get the tr/uSDX to power on via USB or power socket, would it be possible by ISP? Arduino.
Ian MM0GYX did a great job for us UK chaps, I feel that I have screwed up his hard work.
Joe G4VDX
mm0gyx

Post by mm0gyx »

Joe wrote: 23 Feb 2022, 14:55 RX was fine, all Menu functions worked.
No power on TX.
I know I should have stopped at that point untill it was solved.
As I cant now get the tr/uSDX to power on via USB or power socket, would it be possible by ISP? Arduino.
Ian MM0GYX did a great job for us UK chaps, I feel that I have screwed up his hard work.
Hi Joe,

Sorry to see you are having snags, the tx trouble is one thing but I suppose you need to get the firmware back on the mcu. Is your uSDX recognised by the pc when you plug it in? It did once by the sound of it, as avrdude identified it apparently. Does the pc assign a com port?
Joe

Post by Joe »

Hi Ian,
Yes the PC gives it a Comport although I have always had trouble with this one finding the CH340 drivers, it behaved this time.
Its my own fault I'am HAM fisted.
Joe G4VDX
mm0gyx

Post by mm0gyx »

Joe wrote: 23 Feb 2022, 20:51 Hi Ian,
Yes the PC gives it a Comport although I have always had trouble with this one finding the CH340 drivers, it behaved this time.
Its my own fault I'am HAM fisted.
I’m no expert on the firmware side (or hardware, ha ha) but I think you might be able to check if bootloader is there still.

Plug mainboard to pc and get com port from device manager. Then open avrdude and fill in the parts related to Manuel’s instructions page 3b https://dl2man.de/3b-trusdx-firmware/

Click on button ‘detect’, what does it say in terminal screen? It usually says something like 1e950f

If not I guess you need to try loading bootloader again via icsp with an arduino uno. I used a pickit 2 which worked also.

Let us know how it goes Joe.

Ian MM0GYX
ve2rn

Post by ve2rn »

In my opinion the pc detects the 328p as your post say "avrdude.exe: Device signature = 0x1e950f (probably m328p)" i have experienced several failure to detect the pcu with avrdudess an in that case it detect it .For the solution try the booatloader but the error messages are pointing to a comm. problem, follow the path to the cpu or if it is possible try with another pc or usb port and cable. Good luck!
Sylvain Naud
VE2RN
joemen

Post by joemen »

Not knowing much about Hexidecimal I was worried I my have put my serial number in wrong.
I had to check if a Capital "F" or lower case "f" mattered, apparantly not.
We have 18 parts yet Hex is 16 parts ?? . I left out the "#". :ugeek:
If I reload the bootloader will I get a new serial number ? but I would'nt see it if Oled doesn't light up. :?
I checked for Voltage on the USB and Power socket and its there.
I will try again too get the Oled on and try better cables as suggested.
Joe G4VDX
mm0gyx

Post by mm0gyx »

joemen wrote: 23 Feb 2022, 23:00 Not knowing much about Hexidecimal I was worried I my have put my serial number in wrong.
I had to check if a Capital "F" or lower case "f" mattered, apparantly not.
We have 18 parts yet Hex is 16 parts ?? . I left out the "#". :ugeek:
If I reload the bootloader will I get a new serial number ? but I would'nt see it if Oled doesn't light up. :?
I checked for Voltage on the USB and Power socket and its there.
I will try again too get the Oled on and try better cables as suggested.
Ah, I see what you mean. You are talking about the bootloader serial number I wrote on the sticker on the anti static bag, that is used to get firmware. Yes, ignore #, I used it to mean number. There’s 18 letter/numbers in your serial number, it is specifically related to that mcu. It will be the same if you were to start over and install bootloader again. About the hex, you are mixing up a couple of things I think, hex is base 16 like you said, that doesn’t mean there should be 16 characters in the serial number, it just means the highest each particular ‘numbers’ can get is ‘f’, I think.

Anyway, the main thing is, it sounds like you are okay with the serial number you used.

Did you try what I suggested yet? It would be good to know at this stage, after failed firmware upload if the bootloader is there or not. That is something you can do quite quickly.

Faraaz VK4JJ

Post by Faraaz VK4JJ »

I'd echo reloading the bootloader. Purchase a USBAsp through the usual channels (with a 6 pin ICSP adaptor) - it will be helpful.

The fact that your MCU is still being identified by AVRDudess is a positive sign.
Joe

Post by Joe »

Will try suggestions and let you know how it goes.
Thanks guy's.
Joe G4VDX
joemen

Post by joemen »

Ok, uploaded bootloader VIA Arduino uno using loose male/female hookup wires "breadboard" type.
Power for tr uSDX VIA WIRE from UNO 5 volts.
The next thing (firmware) got me confused the Beta for ISP says "TICK THE BOX".
The firmware is labelled "Boot.hex".

Detected 1e950f = ATmega328P
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
>>>: avrdude -u -c avrisp -p m328p -P COM1 -b 19200 -e -U flash:w:"C:\Users\Jane\Downloads\G4VDX_truSDX-beta_my number_Bootloader(1).hex":a

avrdude.exe: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.03s

avrdude.exe: Device signature = 0x1e950f (probably m328p)
avrdude.exe: erasing chip
avrdude.exe: reading input file "C:\Users\Jane\Downloads\G4VDX_truSDX-beta_my number_Bootloader(1).hex"
avrdude.exe: input file C:\Users\Jane\Downloads\G4VDX_truSDX-beta_my number_Bootloader(1).hex auto detected as Intel Hex
avrdude.exe: writing flash (32768 bytes):

Writing | ################################################## | 100% 34.26s

avrdude.exe: 32768 bytes of flash written
avrdude.exe: verifying flash memory against C:\Users\Jane\Downloads\G4VDX_truSDX-beta_my number_Bootloader(1).hex:
avrdude.exe: load data flash data from input file C:\Users\Jane\Downloads\G4VDX_truSDX-beta_my number_Bootloader(1).hex:
avrdude.exe: input file C:\Users\Jane\Downloads\G4VDX_truSDX-beta_my number_Bootloader(1).hex auto detected as Intel Hex
avrdude.exe: input file C:\Users\Jane\Downloads\G4VDX_truSDX-beta_my number_Bootloader(1).hex contains 32768 bytes
avrdude.exe: reading on-chip flash data:

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 19.15s

avrdude.exe: verifying ...
avrdude.exe: 32768 bytes of flash verified

avrdude.exe done. Thank you.
So success, my thanks to everyone for your help.
Maybe it can help others who screwup as I have. :D
Joe G4VDX
joemen

Post by joemen »

Now back to trying to find out were
the SMOKE came from and fix TX. Couldn't find a square wave on the 74oct00.
Joe G4VDX