Audio quality

madmike

Audio quality

Post by madmike »

Hi, I'm new to the group but not to small SDR transceivers. I had a micro bitx then more recently a tiny 3 band uSDX. It worked fairly well, but wanted something better. So ordered a (tr)uSDX from a recommended seller. The receive audio is very poor with a wired, powered speaker and/or through headphones. Compared to the tiny 3 band it's very poor. I'll continue to adjust it and fiddle with settings. I'm in the correct band mode and have bandwidth set wide. Any other ideas?? So far I have gotten good transmit reports. Thanks, Mike WA1MAD 73
Murphyv310

Re: Audio quality

Post by Murphyv310 »

Hi.
The audio quality from the internal speaker is as we know poor to say the least. I do though use headphones, a computer speaker and a home made amplified speaker using that rubbish chip the LM386 all with excellent results. On a recent field operation our club members commented on how good the audio was with the Home made speaker with it having a better tonal quality than an ICOM IC706! I suspect you must have some kind of problem, check settings and the reference frequency. My two trusdx radios perform very well with phones or ext speakers.
Regards, Trevor. MM0KJJ
relistan

Post by relistan »

I use a "cmoy" headphone amp that I built some years back with a pair of good headphones and it sounds quite decent. There is noticeable background noise (interference) that I have been working to reduce.
  • Running from battery seems to make a big difference there, with about an S1 reduction in noise. You may try that if noise is the issue
  • You might also try adjusting the filter width
  • *Also* be sure you are on the right sideband. The way the (tr)usdx renders incorrect sideband in audio is not like other rigs I've heard. Took me a minute to realize why the audio was so digitally distorted.
Hope it helps
EI9ITB / KB8SWH
madmike

Post by madmike »

Thanks re listen. I got a tiny battery powered speaker. Sounds amazingly well