Bootloader install OK but cannot load Firmware

JohnK1JD

Bootloader install OK but cannot load Firmware

Post by JohnK1JD »

Hello,
I had to remove a bad ATMega 328P and reinstall another 328P. Removal of the old and installation of the new chip took some effort, so when complete I checked all 32 pins for clean solder connections using an illuminated magnifier. Satisfied with the chip install, the bootloader via the ISP programmer using an Arduino Uno followed. The bootloader install went perfectly with the serial number on the display.
Next was downloading the firmware. I made sure the serial number on the download request matched what was on the OLED display. Next step was uploading the firmware to the main board via the USB port using AVRDUDESS set up in accordance with the instructions. Having accomplished this step before, no issues were anticipated but alas I got this response:
avrdude.exe: ser_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude.exe: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude.exe: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x30
... etc for 10 tries.
Following this roadblock, I checked again the solder connections and didn't see any issues. Any ideas? Again, the bootloader install went perfectly.
Thanks,
John K1JD
JohnK1JD

Re: Bootloader install OK but cannot load Firmware

Post by JohnK1JD »

I just noticed that the firmware number changes if I unplug the USB cable to the main board and quickly plug it back in. This can't be good.
JohnK1JD

Post by JohnK1JD »

I bought 2 ATMega328P chips and installed one which has the USB firmware install issue. Both are identically labeled 2145P3G and above that number is 354A3P. These would appear outside the production batches with known issues. IF they are both defective there is no point installing the other.

Can anyone recommend a reliable source for this part?
JohnK1JD

Post by JohnK1JD »

If at first you don’t succeed…
Went through the entire bootloader/firmware process again from scratch. This time everything went OK, the main board is up and running.
John K1JD
madmike

Post by madmike »

hi John, my radio came w/o my call sign from an approved seller 2 weeks ago. this was my fault, since I didn't provide it during the order, and missed his email requesting same. So, here I am trying to install the firmware and inlude my call sign. My win10 machine doesn't recognie the radio hen usb is plugged in. Now what. I follwed all the steps, driver and all. Suggestions??? Thanks, Wa1Mad
madmike

Post by madmike »

Found a different link in the dl2man directions. That was my problem, wrong firmware. Thanks