Warning: Read this to prevent frying your microcontroller!

Faraaz VK4JJ

Warning: Read this to prevent frying your microcontroller!

Post by Faraaz VK4JJ »

There have been some reports from the first group buy organisers about destroyed ATMEL328P microcontrollers on the boards.

I have personally destroyed one myself, so learn from our mistakes to prevent yours dying an unpleasant death.

Be very, very careful when handling the ICSP header. It is a straight-shot to the very sensitive microcontroller. Do not allow any of the pins to short and double/triple check your connections. Specifically, ensure that the board is in the right orientation. Start with the mainboard with the (tr)uSDX name, the copyright information and the OLED warning - this is 'right side up'

Looking at the ICSP header, VCC must be plugged in in this configuration. Do not invert the board and plug the ICSP header in upside-down if you need to program!

We also strongly suggest never to power the board outside of its housing e.g. on the bench - it increases the chances of a short.

Also note, these chips have a global shortage, even from the main distributors. It is a real problem getting hold of replacements if you destroy them :)
va3rr

Re: Warning: Read this to prevent frying your microcontroller!

Post by va3rr »

I was planning to use my 6 pin USBasp_H6 to load the bootloader. The same one I used to update my QCX firmware.

I believe GND, MOSI and VCC are on one side of the 6 pin header. Is there a flaw in my plan? Hopefully not a fatal flaw - lol
Last edited by va3rr on 19 Jan 2022, 13:15, edited 4 times in total.
Slava Ukraini!
Faraaz VK4JJ

Post by Faraaz VK4JJ »

That should be OK - cross check your pinout with the ISP pinkojt available on the Assembly information page.

I used a 4 aud usbasp with 6pin adaptor - it was frankly a godsend when flashing fifty boards.
va3rr

Post by va3rr »

The USBasp_H6 works fine for the bootloader. Luckily, the protrusion on the 6pin connector goes up, otherwise it would not fit.

Slava Ukraini!