Side tone frequency?

dl8bag

Side tone frequency?

Post by dl8bag »

Happily made my first contact in CW but I am not sure to which audio frquency should I tune my (tr)usdx in order to be on frequency for the other station? Assuming RIT is turned off.
Vy 73 de
Rolf, DL8BAG
DL2MAN

Re: Side tone frequency?

Post by DL2MAN »

Like with every other Rig:
Sidetone Pitch = RX Tone Pitch = Zero Beat (When RIT is off)
Siedetone Frequency is Fix at 600Hz

73 Manuel; DL2MAN
dl8bag

Post by dl8bag »

Hi Manuel,
Tnx for answering that fast. That is what I assumed. Than it is my fault that I was 200hz off frequency during my first QSO.
My ears are not very well calibrated for 600Hz :roll:
Vy 73 de
Rolf, DL8BAG
DK2CW

Post by DK2CW »

I'm not a CW expert but I have problems finding the correct frequency when receiving. The filter does not seem to be very narrow even if I change it from 500 Hz to 200 Hz. So for example if there is a signal on 7035 kHz I also hear a volume peak of the same signal 1 kHz lower at 7034 and that makes it difficult to tune to the right frequency. Are there any recommendations by CW pros or any recommended settings that can help me?

Thanks for you help!
Chris
dl8bag

Post by dl8bag »

It is difficult for me to identify the 600Hz as well and it becomes more difficult for me because the side tone does not seem to be a sine wave. I am using a 600Hz tone from my smartphone to compare the pitch.
Vy 73 de
Rolf, DL8BAG
G4IVV

Post by G4IVV »

DK2CW wrote: 19 Feb 2022, 16:49 The filter does not seem to be very narrow even if I change it from 500 Hz to 200 Hz.
Hello,

I have recently build my (tr)uSDX and have noticed this as well, the impression is that the CW filters don't have very steep sides. I'd be interested to know from the developers what is expected.

Also on my sample the zero-IF image suppression on CW isn't very good - I can often hear CW signals that are really on the other side of the carrier. I need to measure this but subjectively I'd be surprised if they are any more than 20dB down.

73, Jonathan
DK2CW

Post by DK2CW »

Another thing that I just noted is that I can copy USB signals also in LSB mode on the same frequency. They are fully readable and just a little less loud. I think that also indicates that the other sideband does not seem to supressed.
dl8bag

Post by dl8bag »

One should be able to adjust that with the i/q parameter but I have no idea what and how to measure something there. May be I can find something in the source Code or somewhere on groups.io
DL2MAN

Post by DL2MAN »

Thanks for the Information regarding bad sideband suppression.
Investigation On-Going.
At this point we could reproduce it with rigs/kits with alternative OpAmp LMH6622.
The Test RIgs with LT6231 OpAmp work as intended.

Maybe you can confirm that, wether you have LT6231 or LMH6622.
DK2CW

Post by DK2CW »

Hey Manuel,
thanks a lot for investigating that issue! I am happy that it is not a general problem but a problem with alternative components.

I ordered from the German Group Buy round 1.
The kit was supplied with a LMH6622 for manual soldering. So this could really be the issue.

Are your confident that this can be fixed using software or will I need to replace that part?

Regards
Chris
DL2MAN

Post by DL2MAN »

I don´t think it can be fixed by software.
It seems hardware related but it´s too early to give any good advice.
The only thing that seems to fix it immediately is: Exchange OpAmp for LT6231.
More to come.... But give us time to get to the bottom of the issue
DL2MAN

Post by DL2MAN »

HB9CEY

Post by HB9CEY »

Hi Manuel

How about a zerobeat indicator with feedback on the display, implemented in the firmware as eg. used with the KX3 by elecraft?
I myself are using the decoder as a kind of indicator, when it is properly decoding I assume that I'm zerobeat enough with the sending station. But during a contest this is a bit difficult to achieve, as during this weekend on 40m with a lot of traffic while I worked around 30 US stations with the truSDX and a simple dipole in a very short time. Big fun with this little box! Thanks to all involved with the design and also to Stephan, DC8LZ, and his group in the background for organizing the group buy!

73, Gerald - HB9CEY