US Buy 1 - WildMCQ-***FULL***

Faraaz VK4JJ

Re: US Buy

Post by Faraaz VK4JJ »

I wouldn't say PLA is particularly durable....maybe some of the PLA+ but for an outdoors, portable radio....PETG is probably a better choice. Or ABS, but then you get all the nasties with ABS and the discolouration with heat.

Glass transition point of PLA is 50-60C depending on additives so hot day/inside of car/heat losses from core inefficiencies might cause deformation.

I had a case printed for me in PLA that deformed quite badly over the toroids in an ATU100 on a (coolish for Australia) 25C day. Gave me a nice warning that core losses were ridiculous on my fake Chinese toroids!!
WildMcQ

Post by WildMcQ »

We are very close to the 50 board limit for JLB PCB at this point and I think the first round of this experiment will hopefully be getting going soon.
beckerpete@gmail.com

Post by beckerpete@gmail.com »

KI7ATZ
I was on the original list and an early subscriber when the person running it passed away.
That said I am still interested. Unfortunately I dissolved the Sub-S corp consulting company I have run for 50 years on 31Dec as there was nothing more I wanted to do with it…and it was becoming a liability in the absence of the home office tax deduction under the last administration.

So where to from here please.
W9MDO

Post by W9MDO »

I am interested in buying a kit - thank you
Chuck Kelly
W9MDO
N2OA

Post by N2OA »

I'm interested in a kit and could help with the 3D printing and sourcing any needed parts. I have a Prusa MK3S+ and work from home so I can keep an eye on it while it's printing. If I'm too late to get in this time I'd still be willing to do some printing.

Dave
N2OA
WildMcQ

Post by WildMcQ »

The biggest issue I am seeing is that we are a collective without a head currently. I am totally willing to help guide things buy we need interested parties to commit to actionable tasks if we want to move this forward. Right now I have listed the parts that JLBPCB are unable to source in the discord, though it is beyond my skillset to recommend parts to swap or even a lot of sourcing.

I have also begun to find US suppliers for things like the screens and encoders to begin the process of formulating a total quote. This has been a fast process but it is important to move quickly if we want to beat Lunar New Year on Feb 1st. Additionally with lots of group buys happening at the same time right now hard to get parts may be even harder to source, Id imagine.

I work from home as well and can monitor the discord but I think others work schedules or lives are currently taking up time as we are in the work week. Hopefully this weekend this will come alive more than just collecting data from interested parties and we can start getting radios out into our hands and the field!
va3rr

Post by va3rr »

I was on JLCPCB this morning and now the TCA9555PWR TSSOP is out-of-stock. Checked Digikey & Mouser (NA) and it was inobtanium
Slava Ukraini!
Steve_N1SR

Post by Steve_N1SR »

NXP PCA9539 looks like a possible workaround (see below differences) and Digikey has 740 in stock.

From NHK datasheet:
"The PCA9539; PCA9539R is identical to the PCA9555 except for the removal of the
internal I/O pull-up resistor which greatly reduces power consumption when the I/Os are
held LOW, replacement of A2 with RESET and a different address range"

Steve - N1SR
kj7atk

Post by kj7atk »

I am interested in getting one of these as well.
I have 2 Ender 3D printers and could help with building cases.
73 - Ken KJ7ATK
Southerner

Re: US Buy -- ***looking for leader***

Post by Southerner »

Rob, I am willing to help. What do you need?

Thank you.

Jim
n7iss wrote: 02 Jan 2022, 23:58 I am looking for a few people who want to be a part of getting some of these radios out there...
Rob.
WildMcQ

Post by WildMcQ »

Southerner wrote: 07 Jan 2022, 08:24 Rob, I am willing to help. What do you need?

Thank you.

Jim
n7iss wrote: 02 Jan 2022, 23:58 I am looking for a few people who want to be a part of getting some of these radios out there...
Rob.
I haven't heard anything from Rob since this post got started but we have since organized quite a bit with collecting info and attempting to find all the parts. The info is available on the discord I linked to previously but any help making sure our parts are in order would be greatly appreciated.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

WildMcQ wrote: 07 Jan 2022, 21:13 I haven't heard anything from Rob since this post got started but we have since organized quite a bit with collecting info and attempting to find all the parts. The info is available on the discord I linked to previously but any help making sure our parts are in order would be greatly appreciated.
I tried to go to the volunteer form listed earlier in this thread but Google forms said it was no longer available.

I do the kitting for one kit for another group so I can help.

Thank you.
Steve-NA4ST

Post by Steve-NA4ST »

I would like 1 kit, please. I did put my request into the Google form. And I was in the original group buy that Mitch was leading. So sorry to hear of his passing.

Thanks,
Steve Terry NA4ST
WildMcQ

Post by WildMcQ »

I have sent out an email blast to anyone that was able to fill out the form previously. If you have had issues with it I apologize the google-suite is not my favorite service to use but it is usually the easiest for the end user!

I have reached out to Manuel to check my parts-sourcing and for the most part have the ordering figured out. Im more than happy to help facilitate others with the group buy process or head up this one if Rob isn't interested. We are currently above a full purchase order from JLBPCB but we can use this process to get multiple groups through.

Currently it looks like parts are unavailable, as last night when I checked even the ATMega was out of stock along with several more resistors and capacitors than we were previously limited by. Either way the information gathered will be useful in making it much faster to act on an ordering opportunity given the parts availability is so volatile right now.

EDIT: Ive reworded the price question on the form to be clear it is *per kit* Right now the shipped price per kit that I have been able to quote would be above $70, the range is to leave room for future options or unconsidered shipping costs. If anyone wants to help drive this price down in an actionable way I welcome it!

The form can be edited to reflect this and I would appreciate it if this information changes your response (as $60 a kit seems unattainable right now and I don't want to have friction later when it comes to collecting money).
K0AWG

Post by K0AWG »

Just found my way over to the board. I was in on the original group buy as well. I just filled out the Google form.

I can print PLA but could probably figure out PETG too I imagine.
Wb8yxf

Post by Wb8yxf »

WildMcQ -- I am on the original list, and filled out the form here, and was on the list put out a few days ago, though I did not receive blast email within the last couple of days.
Thanks, WB8YXF
N0UTJ

Post by N0UTJ »

I was in the group that Mitch started and agreed to purchase two.
But then as we all know, Mitch passed. My sympathy to his family.

Just wondering, is there a link to that order form for the US buy list ?

thanks
WildMcQ

Post by WildMcQ »

There has been a lot of interest in the US group buy form I linked previously in this thread. I am monitoring it though we are definitely over a single purchase order at this point. Please monitor your emails as I will send out a message about the first round soon.

Right now there are some individuals who are hesitant to do smd soldering. I cant say for certain what will be mounted but every time I have checked several of the parts Manuel lists in the website have needed to be sourced.

I am going to be learning how to do this myself so I am hesitant to offer help here. As a result I am leaning towards the first round being open to those who only want pure parts kits. I know once I am familiar with the process Id be happy to help another group through including potentially mounting hardware if need be.

Thanks to everyone who has shown interest and been quick to respond!
va3rr

Post by va3rr »

JLCPCB has restocked many parts over the weekend when I ordered this morning. SN74CBT3253PWR wasn't available unfortunately, and it's a TSSOP-16 package.

And JLCPCB has jacked the price up on the AtMega328P-AU. LCSC is currently asking $15 for qty 1, and they have 994 in stock!!!
Slava Ukraini!
WildMcQ

Post by WildMcQ »

If you have previously expressed interest in a PARTS ONLY (tr)uSDX kit in this thread please be on the look out for an email from me containing the following text and additonal details!

This first round will function as a test of the processes outlined on Manuel's website.

This first round will come with:

-Mainboard and RF Boards ordered from JLCPCB
*(with as many SMD parts mounted as possible)
-Missing SMD Parts Sourced from Mouser, Digikey or LCSC
-Ports and Pin Headers
-Screen
-Rotary Encoder
-Enamel Wire and Required Toroids
-3D printed PETG Housing

This kit would require FULL ASSEMBLY and PROGRAMMING

In order to move forward with the purchase interested parties should paypal $85 for a one kit and $70 for each additional to PM FOR INFO with a note of how many kits you want and your email address*. A cheat sheet for kits/price is included in the email body below. This round of sign ups will be first come first serve.

In addition please fill out the following form to provide a future mailing address and confirm your payment has been processed.

Once I have received enough funds to process a 25 unit order I will email all parties to announce that round 1 is closed, though rest assured we have every intention of conducting a second round which will hopefully be even more inclusive for those with interest in more fully built kits.

I have provided documentation of the parts intended to be purchased and the prices. Any discrepancy is to ensure that unexpected shipping costs or parts volatility are covered. Discussion on this topic or any others is open on the group buy discord which is open to all with a link provided below.

US Group Buy Discord

Thank you everyone for you interest in making this group buy happen, this is one of the last big steps before we can get these ktis in our hands!

Will McHugh

Price Cheat Sheet:
1 kit ---- $85
2 kits -- $150
3 kits -- $215
4 kits -- $280
5 kits -- $345

*Any discrepancy between the kit price and the estimated price is to ensure that purchases are able to be made when needed and if there are significant differences between estimated and actual costs funds can be redisbursed following the Group Buy.
WildMcQ

Post by WildMcQ »

And just like that it was full. Thanks to everyone who responded. We will do this again so if you didnt get a chance please know that I still have your email and will invite all of you to get in on round 2 as soon as we have learned how this works. If anyone wants to head up a second round I am happy to share all of my resources as well!
Faraaz VK4JJ

Re: US Buy 1 - WildMCQ-***FULL***

Post by Faraaz VK4JJ »

As the group buy organiser has stated this buy is now full -->

PLEASE DO NOT ADD EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST BELOW THIS POST - they will be deleted.
n7iss

Post by n7iss »

I have been trying to find a way to get the boards made completely with all parts. Currently I can not find a single source or even all the parts. In trying to decide if letting the end buyer try to finish the board it is clear that these SMD parts will require great skill. I just know massive headaches will come my way if I send out incomplete boards. I will wait until a source for complete boards becomes known. If anybody has found such a supplier that can manufacture a complete board set (all smd parts installed) please let me know and I will proceed.
Rob.
WildMcQ

Post by WildMcQ »

I saw some people posting that Elecrow was able to mount all parts for the Cananda buy, though their ordering process was much more technical than JLCPCB!
N6ALT

Post by N6ALT »

Hi,

I'm on this list but haven't heard anything yet, should I have paid somebody or just continue to wait. I'm not rushing you I'm just wanting to make sure I haven't missed something. Thanks,

Joel
N6ALT