Questions about the rotary encoders

NEW BOY

Questions about the rotary encoders

Post by NEW BOY »

Hi everyone.
I recently completed a (tr)uSDX where I bought the components myself to solder, but I found that my rotary encoder frequency increases when counterclockwise and decreases when clockwise, is this normal? Did I buy the wrong encoder?
thank you
va3rr

Re: Questions about the rotary encoders

Post by va3rr »

It's a common problem. When you purchase your encoder, the description should mention "In der Vorwärtsdrehung führt die A Leitungsphase die B Leitungsphase; im umgekehrten Fall führt die B Leitungsphase die A Leitungsphase".

"In the forward rotation, the A line phase leads the B line phase; when reversed, the B line phase leads the A line phase"

I'm waiting for my 2nd encoder order to arrive this week, so you're in good (bad?) company...
Slava Ukraini!
NEW BOY

Post by NEW BOY »

va3rr wrote: 29 Mar 2022, 16:50 It's a common problem. When you purchase your encoder, the description should mention "In der Vorwärtsdrehung führt die A Leitungsphase die B Leitungsphase; im umgekehrten Fall führt die B Leitungsphase die A Leitungsphase".

"In the forward rotation, the A line phase leads the B line phase; when reversed, the B line phase leads the A line phase"

I'm waiting for my 2nd encoder order to arrive this week, so you're in good (bad?) company...
Thank you, va3rr. I use a rotary encoder from APLS, model EC11E183440C, it is very expensive but feels very good, and when I bought it from LCSC, the page did not say "In the forward rotation, the A line phase leads the B line" phase; when reversed, the B line phase leads the A line phase", so you mean I need to replace the encoder? But I like this encoder very much, is there any other solution?
73 NEW BOY
va3rr

Post by va3rr »

Just swap the A line with the B line. I would snip the pins, bend them up, and solder insulated wire. WA2T made a board modification, I seem to recall...
Slava Ukraini!
wa2t

Post by wa2t »

va3rr wrote: 29 Mar 2022, 17:58 Just swap the A line with the B line. I would snip the pins, bend them up, and solder insulated wire. WA2T made a board modification, I seem to recall...
Correct!
NEW BOY

Post by NEW BOY »

va3rr wrote: 29 Mar 2022, 17:58 Just swap the A line with the B line. I would snip the pins, bend them up, and solder insulated wire. WA2T made a board modification, I seem to recall...
OH!va3rr, wa2t, OM, that doesn't sound like a better approach, it would break the integrity of (tr)uSDX. I don’t know if this modification can be implemented in the firmware. The A and B of the encoder can be exchanged through the menu. After all, this will be more convenient. I believe that many HAMs who have the same experience as me will think so. I look forward to PE1NNZ or DL2MAN can reply to me .
73 NEW BOY
Faraaz VK4JJ

Post by Faraaz VK4JJ »

NEW BOY wrote: 30 Mar 2022, 00:48
OH!va3rr, wa2t, OM, that doesn't sound like a better approach, it would break the integrity of (tr)uSDX. I don’t know if this modification can be implemented in the firmware. The A and B of the encoder can be exchanged through the menu. After all, this will be more convenient. I believe that many HAMs who have the same experience as me will think so. I look forward to PE1NNZ or DL2MAN can reply to me .
73 NEW BOY
This thread reminds me of Manuel's response to someone who bought the wrong relays.
DL2MAN wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 11:38
OE3DHB wrote: 18 Jan 2022, 20:12 (...)
The relays I am using have inverted set/reset states (FTR-B4GB4.5Z).
As said before: With the (tr)uSDX we´ve created a standard set of hardware. The whole point of this was to make sure, we can concentrate on features instead of "hardware Variations".
So, when you thought you´d save some money and ordered different relays as we suggest you to use, and now ask for changing the software to adjust for your mistake, then this kind of proofs our point why it was good to fork off from uSDX...
Please invest the 20€ in a set of relays according to specs. This will solve the problem way faster, cheaper, and less stressful.

Thanks

73 Manuel; DL2MAN

There are memory implications on an already crammed Atmega328p for adding additional options. The developers do this in their spare time and may or may not be willing to invest additional time in user requests.

If you wait for a firmware update for this, you may be waiting a very long time.

You bought the wrong encoder. Buy the right encoder and fix the issue, or utilise the hacks provided by others if you wish to get your (tr)usdx working.
DL2MAN

Post by DL2MAN »

Well Faraaz summed it up perfectly. I could not have said it better.
Instead of asking the creators of this project investing hours of unneccessary work, I would suggest you to invest the buck for another rotary encoder or do the suggested mods. That´s simply more efficient.

73 Manuel; DL2MAN
NEW BOY

Post by NEW BOY »

Faraaz VK4JJ wrote: 30 Mar 2022, 01:43
NEW BOY wrote: 30 Mar 2022, 00:48
73 NEW BOY
This thread reminds me of Manuel's response to someone who bought the wrong relays.
DL2MAN wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 11:38
OE3DHB wrote: 18 Jan 2022, 20:12 (...)
The relays I am using have inverted set/reset states (FTR-B4GB4.5Z).
As said before: With the (tr)uSDX we´ve created a standard set of hardware. The whole point of this was to make sure, we can concentrate on features instead of "hardware Variations".
So, when you thought you´d save some money and ordered different relays as we suggest you to use, and now ask for changing the software to adjust for your mistake, then this kind of proofs our point why it was good to fork off from uSDX...
Please invest the 20€ in a set of relays according to specs. This will solve the problem way faster, cheaper, and less stressful.

Thanks

73 Manuel; DL2MAN

There are memory implications on an already crammed Atmega328p for adding additional options. The developers do this in their spare time and may or may not be willing to invest additional time in user requests.

If you wait for a firmware update for this, you may be waiting a very long time.

You bought the wrong encoder. Buy the right encoder and fix the issue, or utilise the hacks provided by others if you wish to get your (tr)usdx working.
HI,Faraaz,Manuel,This is essentially different from the relay problem, which requires modification of the hardware circuit. But the problem of the encoder can be realized only by modifying the firmware. I checked and almost all positionless encoders are counter-clockwise, which means they can't be used properly on (tr)uSDX, why don't you guys try using a positionless encoder? It's very nice in the hand and it's quiet, I hated hearing the sound of the encoder spinning, so I opted for a no-position encoder. As I said, the (tr)uSDX is a perfect machine, modified with jumper wires, obviously not what you and I want to see, which destroys its integrity.
I still hope to see the option to choose an encoder in the future, I will consider keeping the current encoder, I am just expressing my opinion, thank you for your replies.
DL2MAN

Post by DL2MAN »

Puh....
Let´s keep it simple: You opted to deviate from the instructions, and now you´re asking someone else to fix your mistake. You took a risk, and now you are not satisfied with the consequences. That´s how I read it.

As soon as you deviate from the standard, you´re on your own.

While it might be practical to provide such an option, we won´t do it. (tr)uSDX is supposed to be standardized hardware. So simply don´t deviate from the standard if you can´t handle the consequeces. Sorry for you, but our policy on this is very clear.

73 Manuel; DL2MAN
NEW BOY

Post by NEW BOY »

DL2MAN wrote: 30 Mar 2022, 08:10 Puh....
Let´s keep it simple: You opted to deviate from the instructions, and now you´re asking someone else to fix your mistake. You took a risk, and now you are not satisfied with the consequences. That´s how I read it.

As soon as you deviate from the standard, you´re on your own.

While it might be practical to provide such an option, we won´t do it. (tr)uSDX is supposed to be standardized hardware. So simply don´t deviate from the standard if you can´t handle the consequeces. Sorry for you, but our policy on this is very clear.

73 Manuel; DL2MAN
Dear Manuel, no offense intended. You're right, (tr)uSDX should be a standardized machine, but it also needs some different advice, isn't it? It's like it's starting to support multiband replacement. We believe that we all have a common goal, which is to hope that (tr)uSDX is getting better and better. I am very grateful to you and PE1NNZ for your hard work, and I respect the fruits of your labor, so I should be the one to say sorry. I'll consider following everyone's advice, or take the consequences of my own.
I love this little machine, thank you!
73,NEW BOY