UK GROUP BUY 2- ***looking for leader***

G7NQL

Re: UK GROUP BUY 2- G7NQL

Post by G7NQL »

Yes, there have been quote a few other successful GB. I'll reach out to them and see how they managed it. I've been checking again today. No dice.
G4SEB

Post by G4SEB »

scubafrique wrote: 25 Mar 2022, 10:53 Hi Chun I’m still very keen - I really wanted one ahead of a trip I’ve got end April so I’ll probably order one through AliExpress (who seem to be the only approved resaler)
Then hang on to see what happens here snd only buy the one kit.

I’ve just returned to the UK and don’t have the set up for Micro soldering (or experience tbh) but I’m sure I can find a local friendly HAM to help me out.

I can’t speak for everyone but Most have indicated they’d like the full kit. Given that other Group buys are getting along and *Rxxxx* AliExpress are still getting them out there must be a way.
My thoughts are the same, I'm still keen to try and get one through a group buy. If the only option is to get parts from other places, then I can try and find someone locally to help me out, which shouldn't be a major issue.
M7WRC

Post by M7WRC »

Would it be an option to buy the boards populated with as much as possible and then fill in the blanks ourselves once the parts are available? I’d be up for that.
G7NQL

Post by G7NQL »

Update 31/03/2022
I've reached out to several successful GB organisers to see how they managed to achieve a good result, only one person has responded, Ian MM0GYX.

At this point in time, the following parts are OOS:

RF board
  • 4 SMD capacitors
Control board
  • Logic chip
    MCU
    Various passive parts
I've been checking in the last 2 months and found major parts OOS at JLC. My main aim is to make sure everyone gets a good chance at ending up with a decent performing, light and economical radio.

As the chance of success is significantly lower (I guess) with part finished boards, I'm in two minds whether to go ahead with partially assembled boards?

If we go ahead now, the cost will be circa £25 for partially populated boards missing the parts detailed below. This does not take into account the toroids, controls, display, contribution to the two designers etc but does include postage from China, envelopes, repostage and VAT.

31/03/2022 Parts OOS status

G7NQL

Post by G7NQL »

Option B
I'm also pursuing another option. Ordering from the Alibaba sellers, it'll be more expensive, but they've done much of the hard work and they seem to be able to get fully populated boards & kits. The feedback from others that have ordered have been good.

I'll see if it's a decent enough discount, otherwise we may as well order it individually ourselves.
M7WRC

Post by M7WRC »

Thanks again for your help on this. My real attraction to this project is the relatively low cost gateway into HF at a time when money is quite tight so personally I'd probably go for partially completed board and fill in the other bits as and when I can.

I'd assume everyone would need to be in agreement with that to make it worthwhile and understand that might be a tall order. Tbh this topic seems a bit devoid of other opinions but perhaps people are just observing from the side-lines. I wonder whether the 50 original people who expressed an interest are in fact still on board?

Thanks once more 8-)
G7NQL wrote: 31 Mar 2022, 08:57 Update 31/03/2022
I've been checking in the last 2 months and found major parts OOS at JLC. My main aim is to make sure everyone gets a good chance at ending up with a decent performing, light and economical radio.

As the chance of success is significantly lower (I guess) with part finished boards, I'm in two minds whether to go ahead with partially assembled boards?

If we go ahead now, the cost will be circa £25 for partially populated boards missing the parts detailed below. This does not take into account the toroids, controls, display, contribution to the two designers etc but does include postage from China, envelopes, repostage and VAT.
G0CVZ

Post by G0CVZ »

Hi All

The only contribution I would make is that if you are able to strip the boards then you could buy these and get the 328P & the CH340 for £4.63 + VAT

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33042017224.html

Mike
G0CVZ
G4SEB

Post by G4SEB »

G7NQL wrote: 31 Mar 2022, 08:57 Update 31/03/2022
I've reached out to several successful GB organisers to see how they managed to achieve a good result, only one person has responded, Ian MM0GYX.

At this point in time, the following parts are OOS:

RF board
  • 4 SMD capacitors
Control board
  • Logic chip
    MCU
    Various passive parts

31/03/2022 Parts OOS status

Hi, thanks for the update.

I was wanting the (tr)uSDX as both a project and a lower cost HF radio for /P operation.

With this in mind, I would prefer the 1st option of getting the partially completed boards and then getting the remaining parts and adding them in myself (or with the help of a local ham).

However, if it turns out everyone wants to go for the second option, I wouldn't mind that as long as it didn't go massively over the 50€ target price (excluding the case).

I think what G0CVZ has suggested sounds like a great idea if someone is able to strip the boards.

Sebastian
G4SEB
mm0gyx

Post by mm0gyx »

G0CVZ wrote: 31 Mar 2022, 16:37 Hi All

The only contribution I would make is that if you are able to strip the boards then you could buy these and get the 328P & the CH340 for £4.63 + VAT

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33042017224.html

Mike
G0CVZ
I've done this, this week. One of our 1st UK GB members sent me his mainboard and one of those nano boards, I replaced the MCU for him, BL and FW went on fine, appears to work ok.

Just one observation, the 340 on his nano board was 340C, not 340G (but we didn't need it anyway). I have used 340C on my mainboard, I removed two capacitors and an external oscillator because 340C has its own on board, anyway I'm rambling now. Just to say beware, the 340 isn't the 'G' version, at least on the nano I used.

Ian MM0GYX
Leebert

Post by Leebert »

Thank you for the update.

As time is ticking along and it seems that many avenues have been explored I have decided to remove my interest in a group buy at this time.

A big thank you to all who have spent a lot of time researching into this. It is much appreciated. I fully realise that these things do not just happen by themselves!

73 Lee
M0LFV
scubafrique

Post by scubafrique »

Im hanging in there - Id like to build a unit and Id like a fully functioning unit to use for use on multi day extended hikes. (Im not convinced that these are going to be the same thing!)
G4FSX / ZS1FSX
Wilts21

Post by Wilts21 »

I'm happy either way. I'm not in a rush for the unit since I have one of the earlier 8 band ones to debug and get going. If the group wants to go with either a partial built one early or a fully built one later, I'm happy either way. I don't need an enclosure since I have a 3D printer at home.

Paul
M1CNK
Steve_M0NGZ

Post by Steve_M0NGZ »

Hello and responding, in part, from Graham's e mail sent out over the weekend.

I recently obtained a kit, including case, from *Rxxxx*.com (approved re-seller). Well packaged and with a good quality 3D printed case. All items sourced and on the board. Relays dropped in without the need for bending pins and good quality black screws provided. Kit now built, but will need to wait for my return to UK to install boot-loader etc. Alternative boot-loader instructions provided on their website.

Is it worth approaching this company for a group buy price? Good communication from them throughout.

For them, one order, rather than processing 50 individual orders. Currently, they show out of stock, but price for kit and no case e84.10, or e94.10 with case. That's £70.65 and £79.07 with conversion. Boot-loader installed may now be an option if you look at their website under ordering.

I'm still down for a group buy via here, but happy to go with the majority.

Thanks and regards

Steve M0NGZ
M0ITN

Post by M0ITN »

Hi, thanks for the email Graham. I'm still interested but would want a complete kit minus case.
GI1XPV

Post by GI1XPV »

Hi
I’m ok with a partially completed board. I have no issue with waiting until the remaining components become available to complete it. A completed product doesn’t interest me, it’s the construction side that interests me. I have a 3D printer, so do not need a case. I am also ok with smd work, so having to add components later is no issue. I’m happy to proceed with what can be got at this time. However, I don’t want anyone feeling under pressure to make this happen.

KN
gI1XPV
scubafrique

Post by scubafrique »

According to the DL2MAN website *Rxxxx* is not an approved reseller - or at least its not been updated as a "trusted source" according to the link: https://dl2man.de/where-to-buy-trusdx/

& the 4th entry here: viewtopic.php?t=62#top

Steve_M0NGZ wrote: 04 Apr 2022, 09:44 Hello and responding, in part, from Graham's e mail sent out over the weekend.

I recently obtained a kit, including case, from *Rxxxx*.com (approved re-seller). Well packaged and with a good quality 3D printed case. All items sourced and on the board. Relays dropped in without the need for bending pins and good quality black screws provided. Kit now built, but will need to wait for my return to UK to install boot-loader etc. Alternative boot-loader instructions provided on their website.

Is it worth approaching this company for a group buy price? Good communication from them throughout.

For them, one order, rather than processing 50 individual orders. Currently, they show out of stock, but price for kit and no case e84.10, or e94.10 with case. That's £70.65 and £79.07 with conversion. Boot-loader installed may now be an option if you look at their website under ordering.

I'm still down for a group buy via here, but happy to go with the majority.

Thanks and regards

Steve M0NGZ
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-04-07 at 12.31.07.png
Screenshot 2022-04-07 at 12.31.07.png (79.17 KiB) Viewed 3458 times
G4FSX / ZS1FSX
DL2MAN

Post by DL2MAN »

Regarding *Rxxxx*:
Even though they were the first to offer a commercial Kit, they did not make it through approval process.
I personally investigated for hours and invested some money in this investigation (in form of exchanged parts) but was not able to figure out the real problem.

We know for sure, that *Rxxxx* Batch 1 and 2 had some X7R Caps instead of NP0´s on one position each, which alone would be reason not to approve it.
But this affected only certain Bands. Independent from that, neither me nor any other party, that built the Kit, could achieve more than 65% Efficiency on the non affected Bands.
And even though it badly hurt my ego, that I could not figure out what was going on, I gave up at some point.
So: *Rxxxx* Kits and Rigs are not approved until this is fixed.
Further Info here:
viewtopic.php?t=214

Only approved Vendor at this Point is published on my "where to buy" page.
https://dl2man.de/where-to-buy-trusdx/

73 Manuel; DL2MAN
G7NQL

Post by G7NQL »

Evening all,
thank you Graham for organising the direct emails to the GB group.
My main goals of running this GB is to for us all to end up with :
- Fully working compact HF transceiver 
- At a reasonable cost
- Reward the designers with a small thank you

I'd like to assemble the radio myself, the size, efficiency and cost are the main drivers for me. I have plenty of commercial QRP SOTA type radios, but this would trump them all in the three main criteria I've listed.

To achieve this I have been trying to source all the components from JLCPCB, so that we end up with fully populated boards for the project. The toroids are to be ordered from the USA and various other parts mainly from Alibaba. I know from experience that the success of a build is very dependent on the skills of the solder slinger. Some of us are adept at removing and soldering multi legged SM devices successfully and wonder what all the fuss is about and others haven't soldered much at all. Also I'd make a wager on most of us not having eyesight as good as we did 30 years ago.

The lack of all the components being available and some of the parts being very expensive, case in point the MCU is available today, but costs 37USD each at the quantities we're looking at,18 months ago they were less than 2USD per item.

I've also reached out to the suppliers in China, but I only managed to get a 7 USD discount on each complete kit, by the time you've factored in reposting etc, it isn't worth it. Also individual consignments are much more likely to escape the attention of Customs & Excise (I know they've been merged), so you may end up not having to paying any sales tax.

Some people with better contacts have managed to source all the bits for a reasonable price. My suggestion will be to buy it from one of the resellers in the EU or go direct to China and use the ones sanctioned by the designers.  A few people have message me directly to say they have received fully built ones from Up Tech Store and have been very happy with them.

I'm sorry it hasn't worked out, but I'm not prepared to go ahead with something where the chance of failure is significant. I don't have the resources to fix the missing parts at scale. I hope you all understand my position on this.

Naturally this doesn't stop anyone else taking up the challenge, indeed this may become viable again once the components supply situation returns to normal.

https://aliexpress.com/item/1005003908457475.html
So we now have the first official approved Supplier for (tr)uSDX.
Company Name: "Shenzen qiuhai import and export co LTD"
Tech Person in Charge "Hison Chen"
Sales Person in Charge: "Sunny Yang"
AliExpress Store; "Up Tech Store"
ebay Store: "uellyqh store"

Kind regards,
Chun
G7NQL/VR2UPP
scubafrique

Post by scubafrique »

Hi Chun -

Id like to thank you for carrying the torch and your efforts. I think mostly I respect your integrity in deciding to not proceed. It was probably the correct decision at this time in that there is a lesser chance that the units will see completion at the anticipated cost factor.

I absolutely do not have the capacity nor experience to take the organiser role, and not the soldering SMD components capability (I tried to effect some repairs to a cheap radio where an SMD capacitor needs replacing and as well as to the ATAS Antenna which stopped functioning - Ive realised my limitations - I need much upskilling but the ATAS is working, the Cheap radio not yet TX'ing,)

I ordered from UP Gear through AliExpress, and will increasingly impatiently wait. I retrospectively regret not choosing the faster shipping option but Im not paying the additional tax and duty it incurs inflating the price of the unit, so I'll just have to wait it out!

I am interested in a UK Group Buy kit too and will be on board with whoever feels capable or has the time and wants to arrange this. I will continue to be supportive
G7NQL wrote: 12 Apr 2022, 19:58 I'm sorry it hasn't worked out, but I'm not prepared to go ahead with something where the chance of failure is significant. I don't have the resources to fix the missing parts at scale. I hope you all understand my position on this.

Naturally this doesn't stop anyone else taking up the challenge, indeed this may become viable again once the components supply situation returns to normal.

https://aliexpress.com/item/1005003908457475.html
So we now have the first official approved Supplier for (tr)uSDX.
Company Name: "Shenzen qiuhai import and export co LTD"
Tech Person in Charge "Hison Chen"
Sales Person in Charge: "Sunny Yang"
AliExpress Store; "Up Tech Store"
ebay Store: "uellyqh store"

Kind regards,
Chun
G7NQL/VR2UPP
G4FSX / ZS1FSX