Interesting test on alternative band trials

ve2rn

Interesting test on alternative band trials

Post by ve2rn »

I have virgin RF boards from JclPcb and started testings - mount the all bands path components and start with 10M in K1 -- i figured out the values with the chart from dl2man and fron usdx sandwitch rf board for toroid. Here i need to advise that the condensor-diodes-resistances are from aliexpress and cannot be sure that is no fake components, because of my limited budget i have to have some faith in them.
Ok now: when testing 10M after tuning L12 for second harmonic on 10M i made some eff test in a dummy load at 12V. I was in classic mode and got these results firts in classic and second in HI mode

Looks that i found values for 12M.Next step will be trying the same values at K2 for 12M it may varies, as i read from Manuel the placement on board may change values but i will go with the same at first and bring back the results here. I note that the eff is not high for now but i will keep in the same direction for now and work on that after.With what i have in hands it is good for me. Here are the values used for 10M.Note that the 0 value i think is because the HI mode is present and not allowing the 12M freq in 10M range.
Attachments
Sans titre-4.jpg
Sans titre-4.jpg (54.57 KiB) Viewed 1248 times
Sans titre-3.jpg
Sans titre-3.jpg (29.4 KiB) Viewed 1251 times
Last edited by ve2rn on 08 May 2022, 01:02, edited 1 time in total.
Sylvain Naud
VE2RN
wa2t

Re: Interesting test on alternative band trials

Post by wa2t »

Hi Sylvain,

Just did 15m and 10m yesterday on my second unit setup for Classic, I can tell you this: The turns calculators are all wet! Measured/adjusted turns on my toroids using a VNA and went from there, removing turns mostly. For 15m, I ended up with 8T and 6T, 6T and 5T for 10m, cap values as close as I could get to the theoretical list values for BS170's. Over 5W on 15m and about 4.5W on 10m.

Robert, WA2T
ve2rn

Post by ve2rn »

wa2t wrote: 08 May 2022, 01:02 Hi Sylvain,

Just did 15m and 10m yesterday on my second unit setup for Classic, I can tell you this: The turns calculators are all wet! Measured/adjusted turns on my toroids using a VNA and went from there, removing turns mostly. For 15m, I ended up with 8T and 6T, 6T and 5T for 10m, cap values as close as I could get to the theoretical list values for BS170's. Over 5W on 15m and about 4.5W on 10m.

Robert, WA2T
I do not understand what is the meaning of the expression all Wet! I am not familiar that much with english.But thanks for the info on turns ,what are your cap values for these good results and are you on 12V or higher ?
Sylvain Naud
VE2RN
wa2t

Post by wa2t »

All wet = no good! I'll post cap values tomorrow morning.

Robert, WA2T
Faraaz VK4JJ

Post by Faraaz VK4JJ »

Robert, what inductance calcs were you using?

Personally, I have found that many of the calculators online are of no use for RF work.

I use:

https://owenduffy.net/calc/toroid3.htm
wa2t

Post by wa2t »

Faraaz VK4JJ wrote: 08 May 2022, 09:45 Robert, what inductance calcs were you using?

Personally, I have found that many of the calculators online are of no use for RF work.

I use:

https://owenduffy.net/calc/toroid3.htm
Hi Faraaz,

I was using kitsandparts.com's and pacific66 calculators, but found them to be very inaccurate (predicted lower values than actual). I went to measuring toroids actual inductance using my Nano VNA and making adjustments from there.

I have values for 15m and 10m I will post, along with revised turn counts for "Lo" band setup which have allowed me to get over 5W on all bands.

Robert, WA2T