Dropped a clanger

2e0huk

Dropped a clanger

Post by 2e0huk »

Good morning chaps. Need one small bit of advice. Had some problems with dry joints, so removed all the toroids and started again. However L31 caused me an issues removing the solder from inside the hole. And the pad came off with the wick. Is this beyond recovery?

Thanks in advance.
Martin.
John

Re: Dropped a clanger

Post by John »

Hi Martin. From context, I'm guessing that "dropped a clanger" means you did something that wasn't good. I took a quick look at the Gerber trace files, and if you pulled the pad off the bottom of the board it doesn't much matter just as long as you can top-solder the coil leads, since, (if you look closely,) you will see the traces the leads attach to are on the top side of the RF board, not buried in an internal layer, so if you're careful it's an easy fix. If I were doing it I would probably drop a couple of bare copper wires through the holes first and solder them in place, then solder the coil leads to them.

If the pads that got torn are located on the top of the board I would still drop a couple of wires down through the holes, but before I reattached the coil leads to them I would first solder small leads from those pins to the other end where those traces are supposed to attach, and not count on the traces to make the connections if they are at all torn up. Keep the leads fairly short and there should be no problems.

If the trace that disappears under the relay from the toroid end closest to the relay is torn then you will need to make the jumper connection on the bottom of the board instead of the top. That end of the trace from the toroid goes to the center pin of the 3 adjacent relay pins on K3 closest to the edge of the PCB. (There is a gap between those 3 pins and the final pin on the end of the relay.) Note that the trace also appears to go up between C30 and C31, so make sure that there is a good connection made to them as well. Refer to the RF bd schematic and the Gerber files if you have trouble seeing the traces on the PCB. The Gerber trace layer with those traces is the layer file: truSDX_RF-B_Cu.gbr
When viewed it will be shown as the top layer as viewed looking through the bd from the bottom side. It's a bit confusing unless you are accustomed to doing PCB design, but you likely already have more than enough info here to do the job without that.
2e0huk

Re: Dropped a clanger

Post by 2e0huk »

Thank you so much for the reassuring answer. That was precisely the answer I needed. I think armed with this new knowledge, I can move forward again. :D