Hamlib error: Protocol error

temporarilyoffline

Hamlib error: Protocol error

Post by temporarilyoffline »

I'm running firmware version 2.00h

When I configure WSJT-X for CAT Control and press Test CAT, I here the relays click in the radio for a band change twice and then get the atttached error. I've tried two different machines and two different cables and also two different OSs... always get the same error.

Any suggestions?
Attachments
hamlib error
hamlib error
error.jpg (98.45 KiB) Viewed 20615 times
temporarilyoffline

Re: Hamlib error: Protocol error

Just for grins I did a firmware update from 2.00h to 2.00i and I get the same problem. This verifies that my cable, radio and com port are all correct. The error message however is the same.
lostcaggy

Post by lostcaggy »

could never get hamlib to work but flrig does. Someone has posted in the forum the required settings.
temporarilyoffline

I get a similar error from flrig... it gets worse though - no usable cat control and the rig gets stuck in TX mode.
2M0ufo

Post by 2M0ufo »

temporarilyoffline wrote: 08 Jun 2022, 01:52 Just for grins I did a firmware update from 2.00h to 2.00i and I get the same problem. This verifies that my cable, radio and com port are all correct. The error message however is the same.
Same result here but my pre-built came with 2.00i and now problem with communication via usb when i went to install beta firmware , i can verify everything software/hardware works with my self-build so seems to be problem with this firmware so will upload beta software via ISP header when i get time.
Oh and screen displays 16 numbers when trying to upload firmware but they are not the same as serial i was given so i made new firmware using that number just to see wat happens but same sync error in communication
Cheers
Stevie
2M0ufo
relistan

Post by relistan »

I am also unable to get CAT control working. I'm on macOS. I tried with WSJT-X and got the same error as the OP. When trying with rigctl directly, I get:

Code: Select all

$ rigctld --model=2028 --listen-addr=127.0.0.1 --port=7006 -s 38400 -r /dev/tty.usbserial-14110 -p /dev/cu.usbserial-14110 -d /dev/tty.usbserial-14110
rig_open: error = Protocol error
kenwood_open: no response from rig
kenwood.c(872):kenwood_open return(-8)
rig.c(1031):rig_open return(-8) /dev/tty.usbserial-14110 Operation timed out
I tried many permutations of the above, to no avail. rigctl defaults to 8-N-1 serial so that doesn't need to be supplied. WSJT-X was set up per the sticky thread before I tried rigctld itself.

I am able to connect to the rig with a serial terminal, so I know the serial interface is all set up and working. Firmware is 2.00i

Any ideas?
EI9ITB / KB8SWH
RC3T

Post by RC3T »

Hi all! I have a similar problem. Recently received a transceiver kit. The firmware is preinstalled v.2.00i I reported this problem to the seller from whom I bought it, he voiced the problem to Manuel DL2MAN. I hope our common problem can be corrected!
DL2MAN

Post by DL2MAN »

I actually NEVER got it working with HAMLIB.
But in my Opinion, this has nothing to do with (tr)uSDX Firmware, but the way, how hamlib is adressing the rig. That would be something for Guido @pe1nnz to investigate.

Here are my working Settings with OmniRig:
trusdx_omnirig.JPG
trusdx_omnirig.JPG (20.69 KiB) Viewed 20348 times
And here are my working Settings with WSJTX:
trusdx-wsjtx.JPG
trusdx-wsjtx.JPG (49.92 KiB) Viewed 20348 times
73 Manuel; DL2MAN
pe1nnz

Post by pe1nnz »

Hi,

It looks like you are using WSJT-X under Linux.
Please be aware that the RTS/DTR settings are not effective under Linux, and keeps resetting the rig.
Please try the following to resolve that issue.

- before starting WSJT-X please execute the following command in a terminal:

stty -F /dev/ttyUSB0 raw -echo -echoe -echoctl -hupcl -echoke 38400

replace ttyUSB0 with the actual serial port device.

This command prevents the DTR/RTS keeps flipping, preventing the rig from reseting, and basically keeps the device open and responding to CAT commands.

73, Guido
relistan

Post by relistan »

Thanks @pe1nnz, I will give it a try tonight. I'm on macOS, but it may be that it's the same behavior as under Linux.
EI9ITB / KB8SWH
RC3T

Post by RC3T »

Hi all! The transceiver is connected only via CAT .... after the settings set like Manuel's, everything worked. An interesting problem has arisen. When switching from reception to transmission, the sound from the speaker disappears. (Intentionally did not connect the audio cable) When you press the PTT button, the transceiver briefly switches to transmit/receive and the sound from the built-in speaker reappears. What could it be?

At the link https://disk.yandex.ru/i/7TW-hLUtZXgvDw of the video on which I tried to convey the whole process of the problem.

Has anyone else encountered a similar problem?

:!: :!: :!: P.S. The cause of this problem is found enabled menu item 2.4 Semi QSK must be turned off "OFF"
relistan

Hamlib Working SOLUTION for macOS

Post by relistan »

Thanks to Guido for putting me on the right track. I have a simple solution that works for Hamlib on macOS.

You will run `rigctld` itself rather than letting WSJT-X do it.
  1. Find your serial port (This will be something like /dev/tty.usbserial-141410):

ls -ltar /dev/ | tail
  2. Then run this, using *your port* from the previous step

cat /dev/tty.usbserial-141410
  3. In another terminal run (using *your port* not mine):

rigctld --model=2028 --listen-addr=127.0.0.1 --port=7006 -s 38400 -r /dev/tty.usbserial-141410
  4. Return to the first terminal and type Ctrl-C to stop the `cat` command so that it will exit
The above blocks a reset on the serial port when rigctld starts up. You can then set up WSJT-X like this:
Screen Shot 2022-07-22 at 5.43.52 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-22 at 5.43.52 PM.png (187.78 KiB) Viewed 20266 times
You should now be able to use CAT from WSJT-X!

You will need to start up rigctld yourself, and leave it running each time you start WSJT-X.
EI9ITB / KB8SWH
relistan

Post by relistan »

I suspect the above will work the same for the issue Guido mentioned on Linux as well. I have not tested that.
EI9ITB / KB8SWH
KB3LYB

Post by KB3LYB »

pe1nnz wrote: 20 Jul 2022, 10:00 - before starting WSJT-X please execute the following command in a terminal:

This fixed the exact problem I was having with my RaspberryPi, thank you.
SM6KNE

Post by SM6KNE »

pe1nnz wrote: 20 Jul 2022, 10:00

This helped me too. Got WSJT-X to work. :D

But I still have problem with using rigctl, especially when using it in cw mode, ptt goes always on. I have also seen strange text on the oled and even text up side down. :!: :?:

Too bad because I'm trying to build a tiny logprogram on my NanoPi Neo2 that I could use when I'm portable (/p).

73, Erik
YO5CSA

Post by YO5CSA »

Hi, OMs!

I'm posting my problem with WSJT-X and FT8 here because it is almost the same with those described before by other members in this topic, despite the fact that the last response is quite old.
Also, because the original post was made by "temporarilyoffline", I also checked his youtube channel and I saw that first, despite of the presented successful solutions described here, his solution was to abandon the cat control and use the vox option (his video here at min. 6: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVKpaxJTJTQ&t=488s ). After that, based on PE1NNZ/Guido's previous post, he posted another video on that, with the problem solved: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzqzzRJzkrI ).

So, sadly I am a user of by now two (tr)uSDXs, and my problem is the same described by the original owner of the topic, plus some others. So, the "others" are:
- I'm on Windows 10
- I'm using exclusively FT8 mode on WSJT-X
- I have done more than a lot of checkings about my settings to be exactly like that mentioned by DL2MAN/Manuel in the instructional video
- tried to use WSJT-X, direct (as in video), or trough FLRIG and OmniRig
- changed cables (all of them, audio, usb)
- running the radio on battery power (eventually to not have some power source interferences)
- changed the radios (as mentioned, I have two of them)
- changed the laptop
And the main problem is: not that is not working at all, but working nice for about few minutes to 1 hour with no problem, and after that the radio become erratic, sometimes is unresponsive, or it blocks on transmit, and the WSJT-X start to give errors (if directly used then some hamlib errors, if on OmniRig then it say that OmiRig does not responding, etc.). And after the point there is no possible way to continue. Of course (the interesting part) after a few days later the story is the same: it works well a while, but just for short time.
On VOX, appears to be OK, but sometimes, maybe because some interferences, it commutes on transmit without any audio signal from computer. On the other hand, it is frustrating to know you have cat control available but not works... only on windows ?!

73!
Marco

Post by Marco »

Hi,
I'm running a pi4 using FLRIG for Rig control and experiencing the issue where the latches keep clicking/resetting, the screen does funny things, switches to different menu items, etc.

I tried executing this command stty -F /dev/ttyUSB0 raw -echo -echoe -echoctl -hupcl -echoke 38400, but that did not work.

I've ensured that the rig shows up as ttyUSB0. I boot the pi with the rig on and connected to the Pi, then cut and paste the above command into a terminal window, the start FLRIG, and initialize and then the party starts.....i.e. looped reset.

any other suggestions?

I love the rig and it works great on digital with the exception that I don't have rig control. I've gotten around part of that by using VOX on the radio, but still can't change frequencies remotely which I'd really like to be able to do.

Thx
cdelayre

Post by cdelayre »

RC3T wrote: 21 Jul 2022, 06:02 Hi all! The transceiver is connected only via CAT .... after the settings set like Manuel's, everything worked. An interesting problem has arisen. When switching from reception to transmission, the sound from the speaker disappears. (Intentionally did not connect the audio cable) When you press the PTT button, the transceiver briefly switches to transmit/receive and the sound from the built-in speaker reappears. What could it be?

At the link https://disk.yandex.ru/i/7TW-hLUtZXgvDw of the video on which I tried to convey the whole process of the problem.

Has anyone else encountered a similar problem?

:!: :!: :!: P.S. The cause of this problem is found enabled menu item 2.4 Semi QSK must be turned off "OFF"
I got the same problem. I confirm that the "Semi QSK" functionality of the rig must be turned off. FLdigi version 4.1.23 works then like a charm. There's something wrong with the firmware 2.00i

Best regards
Cédric
Constrainted

Post by Constrainted »

Cedric,

Have you tried OFDM and PSK modes?

73 de Constrainted
Constrainted

Post by Constrainted »

Vara HF, PSK31, FT8, JS8Call are working.

73 Constrainted
M5AEI

Post by M5AEI »

Hi all,

As there been any development on the hamlib error?. I have a Pi 3 running Buster. Just updated WSJT-x and have to run Guido's Terminal code
'stty -F /dev/ttyUSB0 raw -echo -echoe -echoctl -hupcl -echoke 115200'
To get WSJT-x or FlRig to connect. If this is my only way forward can this be added to a start-up script for these apps?.

JTDX and JS8Call connect without issue.

TIA,

Ellis M5AEI