Digital Mode, WSJT-X, FT8………

USMCSS

Digital Mode, WSJT-X, FT8………

Post by USMCSS »

Hey guys,

I am having a hard time figuring out what to do to get any digital mode to work.

I currently have a usb dongle connected to my MS computer with audio out from radio connected to the audio in of the dongle and Mic out from the radio to the input of the usb dongle connected to the computer. I am using WSJT-X. I am receiving RX but can’t get TX to work.

I have the Radio set to VOX.

I am hearing so many different ways to do this. All I want is to see my signal on a map. I am not worried about making contacts with any of the digital modes at this point. I just want to test different Antennas and see where the signal is going.

However, down the road it would be nice to be able to communicate with FT8…..

Do I need to mode a 3.5mm cable? Is there any cables that you can buy that will work?

Thank you!!!

Semper Fi,

Bob
USMCSS

Re: Digital Mode, WSJT-X, FT8………

Post by USMCSS »

Do I have the connections backwards? Is the Audio output of the radio suppose to be connected to the Mic Input of the USB Dongle connected to the Computer? and the MIC output of the radio connected to the Audio Input of the Dongle?
Steves999

Post by Steves999 »

Yep - I think you've got it there..

Audio out from computer dongle > radio Mic in
Audio out from radio > computer dongle mic in

Also, check the wiring of the radio mic in cable - tip is PTT, mic is ring and GND is sleeve

ZL1SGS
USMCSS

Post by USMCSS »

I really appreciate your response Steve! Do you have this working?
billatq

Post by billatq »

I managed to get this working today with WSJT-X.

The one trick that I needed was that I needed it to use the right audio channel to work properly with the transmit, but two stereo phono cables to a sound card plus the TS-480 CAT settings worked like a charm for me otherwise. I did also lower the audio power level and listen to the output on an SDR to make sure it didn't sound distorted. I'm running the receive audio level on the rig at around 10.
USMCSS

Post by USMCSS »

Glad you got it working Bill!! Great news!

The problem for me is I don't understand how you got it to work. You say you needed to get the right channel for the transmit? How did you get that?

You are using a sound card, what one? I just have a USB Dongle connected to the pc with audio and mic inputs.

Thanks!
Steves999

Post by Steves999 »

I have had this working on the bench - just using vox rather than CAT control for TX. I'm not sure of the best way to set the TX drive (ie volume out of the computer). I've currently just set it on a dummy load so it's just backed off slightly from maximum power (as measured on an external power meter) - my assumption being that should then be sufficient drive without overloading and distortion.
I like the idea of listening on an SDR for minimal distortion - I'll check that as well.
I'm just using a cheap generic aliexpress CM108 USB dongle
ZL1SGS
USMCSS

Post by USMCSS »

Thanks Steve! So you didn’t rewire the cables? Are you using two cables? One from mic/key of Radio to Audio of Dongle on computer and

Audio from Radio to Mic of dongle on Computer?
Steves999

Post by Steves999 »

Yes I did have to rewire the cable going in to the mic input of the radio - to put the signal on the ring and make sure nothing is connected to the tip.

There's useful discussion on this over on the facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/trusdx
ZL1SGS
USMCSS

Post by USMCSS »

Thanks Steve, yes I’m over there ON FB and modified the cable. I must have settings wrong in WSJT
ve2rn

Post by ve2rn »

Talke a look at this , some info are out of focus but i think the essential is there
https://youtu.be/Mnt2c9y6Fxg
No hardware modif to cables ,everything is out of the box for the software and connections parts. The only modif is on the rf to use 17M, and do not affect the setup. Reset everything and start over it will work!
Sylvain Naud
VE2RN
N6YWU

Post by N6YWU »

You might or might not have to modify your audio cable (to disconnect the tip of the TRS from asserting PTT on the Mic/Key input to your (tr)uSDX).

I've tried several USB "sound cards"; and some seem to put enough voltage or a low enough resistance on the tip to assert PTT, and some don't. Sometime sending the audio only to the Right channel only helps, since Left channel can put audio levels on the tip of the audio TRS jack. But I don't count on that, so I built a cable where the tip is not connected, which works with all my audio outputs (sound cards, iPhone, and computer audio jack). 73, Ron, N6YWU
N6JSX

Post by N6JSX »

I recommend uSDX add a a page or two to the uSDX Manual on how to connect the uSDX to a PC (with links to drivers).

How to interface the uSDX for PC Digi-Mode OPs, i.e. FT8/PSK/J8/WSJT/etc.
Include a diagram of the Mic/Key port 'special' connection.
Include a diagram of CW Key port connections.

Are there any uSDX CAT-Commands via USB that users may use/access for radio OPs beyond Firmware loading?
N6YWU

Post by N6YWU »

The connections needed will vary significantly between computer models and OS versions (etc.) If you find an interface method that works for your particular set-up. It's probably better for you to post your findings here than to document some generalized setup that works for only some people. 73, Ron, n6ywu
N6JSX

Post by N6JSX »

However YWU, having say Win10 OPs described would allow all to derive a base understanding to apply to their OS/PC w/links for the appropriate drivers. I venture to say that vast majority of users here/HAMdom are Win users. :D

Today we have NOTHING, other than some text/Youtubers by many (some guru's) - can be confusing. :o