AliExpress truSDX fails

KW4JM

AliExpress truSDX fails

Post by KW4JM »

I'm looking for feedback on any fails you have experienced with the truSDX assembled by AliExpress. Mine freezes when keying, sometimes displaying "!!Check PTT/key", sometimes the screen flips, sometimes the screen displays garbage, sometimes it turns off and on. It only happens when keying and only when practice mode is off. I complained so they sent me a new one, and it does the same PLUS it often shows 0.00 on power display. Question: Has anyone had a similar experience and what do you do about it? Thanks. Scott NZ4R
DL2MAN

Re: AliExpress truSDX fails

Post by DL2MAN »

What Power supply are you using and how is your Antenna Setup ?
Since the (tr)uSDX is a very simple rig, it does not handle RF injection well, or Power Supply with a lot of ripple....
Bad SWR would cause effects like that, Nearby Magloops, Common mode currents on your antenna line etc.

If I were you, I would find someone nearby with another (tr)uSDX that works for him, and put his rig into your enviroment and vice versa, so you can exclude some variables.

73 Manuel; DL2MAN
KW4JM

Post by KW4JM »

Thanks Manuel. It first happened to me when it was brand new and I took it on a portable op, using Bioenno 12v 3ah 1203AB and portable vertical (QRPguys 3bander). Then I brought it home and put on a dummy load. Same thing happened within minutes. Then replacement unit came, and I put it on the dummy load/Bioenno battery. Same thing. After getting your reply I put it on my Jetstream power supply. Same thing happens. Since it happens to both my original and replacement unit I concluded the problem is either me or AliExpress. I can't think of anything I am doing wrong. Thanks for your advice Manuel. Scott NZ4R
DL2MAN

Post by DL2MAN »

Would you mind telling us the seller and date of purchase ?
I would suggest to re-upload firmware. Try Beta. Maybe something has gone wrong there

In deed: what you describe should not happen.
Let's see how we can fix it.

73 Manuel DL2MAN
KW4JM

Post by KW4JM »

Thanks again Manuel. I ordered it on 8/27/22. I put it to its first use on a portable op (SOTA) on 9/11/22. This is when it first glitched. ... Please direct me to a post or resource that will tell me how to re-upload the firmware. Thanks again,
Scott NZ4R
DH2LAB

Post by DH2LAB »

Manual for firmware-update:

https://dl2man.de/3b-trusdx-firmware/
73 de Matt, DH2LAB
KW4JM

Post by KW4JM »

The serial # does not appear on my screen, and I am not equipped to upload the bootloader as I read about it. So I went straight to the upload and it didn't work. See attached. I know this is a lot of trouble for you and I am prepared to abandon the project if need be. I am grateful for you help.
Scott NX4R
Attachments
IMG_1482.jpeg
IMG_1482.jpeg (149.02 KiB) Viewed 1915 times
郭兴杰

Post by 郭兴杰 »

Mr. Manuel, can you tell me your social contact information? We are a chip agent in China and also a manufacturer of radio equipment. We have made tr usdx and will use the call sign service. We want to send you several tr usdx, so that you can have a look at it and understand its quality.

If you are interested, reply me, thank you

With the most respectful regards

Guo Xingjie
DH2LAB

Post by DH2LAB »

KW4JM wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 23:33 The serial # does not appear on my screen....

Scott NX4R

Read this:

viewtopic.php?t=593
And check your COM port and maybe use another (shorter) USB cable. Not all USB cables work the same.
Did you load the USB-Drivers?
73 de Matt, DH2LAB
KW4JM

Post by KW4JM »

Thanks Matt. I tried the 18 x 0 serial number and the shorter usb cable. But it didn't work. Please see pictures. Notice the Device Manager does not show the right port info. Thanks very much. Scott
Attachments
7.jpeg
7.jpeg (11.42 KiB) Viewed 1871 times
5.jpeg
5.jpeg (9.4 KiB) Viewed 1871 times
3.jpeg
3.jpeg (9.46 KiB) Viewed 1871 times
KK4DF

Post by KK4DF »

Scott,

I have a (tr)uSDX I recently received as a kit from AliExpress, and it seems to perform as expected. I took it on its first SOTA activation today.

I will have mine at the W4 SOTA camp out if you will be attending.

Walt - KK4DF
DL2MAN

Post by DL2MAN »

郭兴杰 wrote: 27 Sep 2022, 06:54 Mr. Manuel, can you tell me your social contact information? We are a chip agent in China and also a manufacturer of radio equipment. We have made tr usdx and will use the call sign service. We want to send you several tr usdx, so that you can have a look at it and understand its quality.

If you are interested, reply me, thank you

With the most respectful regards

Guo Xingjie
PM sent
KW4JM

Post by KW4JM »

Matt and Manuel, the USB Driver, when I download it, does not show up in my Device Manager. If you would give me an assist on how to correct this I might be able to upload the firmware. See attached. Thanks again.
Scott NZ4R
Attachments
IMG_1485.jpg
IMG_1485.jpg (96.3 KiB) Viewed 1801 times
IMG_1489.jpg
IMG_1489.jpg (123.35 KiB) Viewed 1801 times
DL2MAN

Post by DL2MAN »

Does Windows give you a sound, when Connect your USB Cable to (tr)uSDX and Computer ?
If not: It´s not a Data Cable. Use a Data Cable. There are also "Charging Cables".

If it does give you a sound, then you should see the com port or at least an "unknown device" in the device manager.

With device Manager opened: Does Com 1 appear when pugging (tr)uSDX in ? Does it disappear, when disconnecting it ? If that´s the case: Your message indicates, it´s not installing the driver, but using a pre-installed one. Then "right click" the com port, and change the driver. The only driver, that works reliably is the one linked on my page !

This can be everything and nothing.... Hard to diagnose if not sitting directly in front of the PC....

73 Manuel; DL2MAN