External Microphone Source

sdx

External Microphone Source

Post by sdx »

Can anyone recommend an external microphone that can be plugged in without rewiring for trusdx?
w3fis

Re: External Microphone Source

Post by w3fis »

It is about a 15 minute job. Wiring for a Baofeng microphone shown on Miklor site. Cut off dual plug, strip wires (ring them out first with your multimeter to get the right ones -- mic, gnd, PTT), solder on a 3.5 mm stereo plug (Amazon, others). Helps to fill the cavity of the plug with RTV silicon caulk, as the crimp strain relief isn't all that good. The all metal plugs are the best -- rugged. Check out operation before you do final assembly. Tin wires first before fitting plug. Check for shorts, and if necessary put small pieces of electrical tape in critical areas.

As far as I have seen, there are not "ready to go" microphones. An alternative is to get a two prong adapter and wire on a stereo plug/cable to avoid cutting up a Baofeng microphone. However, they are so so cheap -- typically less than $10, the adapters will cost more than the microphone.

If you lack soldering skills, see if you can find someone to do it for you.
madmike

Post by madmike »

Hi, I bought a tiny lavalier microphone to use with my True usdx. The mic has a 1/8 3 ring plus tip plug. I have a 1 ring plus tip to rewire and hopefully use. Not sure if I'm on the right track. The 3 ring plus tip didn't work as is. Any suggestions are appreciated.
ki4syr

Post by ki4syr »

I'm using the battery powered Retevis from Amazon. Purchased it along with a couple TRS jack plugs. Get excellent audio reports and the volume knob on the mic lets me adjust the receive audio.

Although you have to recharge the mic battery, it usually lasts a few days of normal use.
madmike

Post by madmike »

Thanks. I'll continue to try and rewire the new lavalier mic that I bought. Just looking to be sure the on board ptt will still work with a mic plug inserted. Checking actual use and schematic soon.
ab7pa

Post by ab7pa »

I found this one to be quite nice: https://www.qrpkits.com/microphone.html
Quick project, very light in weight, and durable.
Attachments
MicAssembled2018.jpg
MicAssembled2018.jpg (40.73 KiB) Viewed 2198 times
madmike

Post by madmike »

I did get the QRP guys mic kit. There are 2 wiring options, not sure which is + and which ptt. Ground is obvious. 50 50 chance. Reviewed the schematic, hard to tell.
Ohwenzelph

Post by Ohwenzelph »

madmike

Post by madmike »

Well, I did find a photo of the mic plug and the correct wiring on this forum. I wired it up, attached my doublet and got a great audio report from a guy on the PA QSO party. Also, yesterday, I added an external power switch, a mini digital voltmeter and powerpole connectors. My QRP shack in a box is close to completion. Oh, also a mini powered speaker. A fun little project.
Constrainted

Post by Constrainted »

madmike wrote: 09 Oct 2022, 22:04 Well, I did find a photo of the mic plug and the correct wiring on this forum. I wired it up, attached my doublet and got a great audio report from a guy on the PA QSO party. Also, yesterday, I added an external power switch, a mini digital voltmeter and powerpole connectors. My QRP shack in a box is close to completion. Oh, also a mini powered speaker. A fun little project.
What tuner are you using for your doublet antenna?