advice on that surface-mount component please

AC1JO

advice on that surface-mount component please

Post by AC1JO »

Hi there. Almost the first thing DL2MAN does in the assembly video is attach a surface-mount component. I've never worked with those, and I have a few questions before I try it. First, he refers to there already being some solder on the pads. I can't see it on mine (I see the color of copper, not silver). Is that solder something he put there beforehand, or does it come standard on a PCB and I'm just not seeing it with my aging eyes? If my pads don't have solder, should I be "tinning" them with solder before assembly? Any tips on how to make this connection without creating solder bridges?
HB9HJF

Re: advice on that surface-mount component please

Post by HB9HJF »

Exactly which component are you referring to?

Most of the current kits don't need a surface mount component to be soldered and that the user assembly is for the through-hole components and toroids.

The assembly video does refer to a component that was not readily available when the group-buys were ongoing (before the Aliexpress and Ebay sellers were authorised), but by now this component is most likely already populating the correct location on the PCB.
-- Cathal Ferris.
Paddler, pedaller, stargazer, nerd.
Wiggler of electrons both in silicon and in the ether.