Pre-built by New DIY Tech, crashes a lot. (resolved)

KB9RLW

Pre-built by New DIY Tech, crashes a lot. (resolved)

Post by KB9RLW »

Howdy,

Just got my unit and I'm wondering if the repeatable crashes I'm seeing are common.

Case #1: Rotate the encoder too fast when tuning, garbage appears on display and the unit reboots.
Case #2: CAT control works, but occasional garbage on the display, pops in and out of transmit, audio goes away and comes back, reboots once or twice a minute.
Case #3: CW mode, transmitting a series of DITs for more than a few seconds, unit reboots.

I'm in the process of doing a video review and I'm pretty sure New DIY Tech probably didn't do a good build, but before I dig deeper, I wanted to find out if others had similar problems.

Kevin, KB9RLW
The Old Tech Guy on youtube.
Last edited by KB9RLW on 11 Sep 2022, 19:21, edited 1 time in total.
N6ALT

Re: Pre-built by New DIY Tech, crashes a lot.

Post by N6ALT »

Hi Kevin,

I bought one assembled from DIY Tech and one in kit form Up Tech Store on AliExpress, both are the same supplier. I have had no problems at all with either. Maybe you just got a dud, it does happen. Sunny will make good for you just contact her.

Joel
N6ALT
KB9RLW

Re: Pre-built by New DIY Tech, crashes a lot.

Post by KB9RLW »

Update. I've fixed the crashing problem. A lot of the solder points were very poorly done on both boards. I reflowed more than a dozen connections and no more crashes.
OE5JFE

Re: Pre-built by New DIY Tech, crashes a lot. (resolved)

Post by OE5JFE »

Hi,

That is very interesting. Me and others from the OE Groupbuy have also problems with crashes on encoder rotation. I migth give it a try and reflow the boards too. Thanks for sharing.

73 Joe
kw4mj

Post by kw4mj »

I also purchased a unit pre-built by New DIY Tech. I have several issues with the radio. I have reflowed or resoldered many of the points on both boards with no change.

No signal output when either LSB or USB modes selected. Also, whether I have selected CW, AM or FM, the traces displayed on my TinySA seem identical. It also does not seem to matter which frequency band is selected.

Also, at times the menu button stops working, and sometimes the unit locks up.

All tests so far have been with the unit powered via the usb port, plugged in to my laptop.

==edit==
After getting out my “microscope” camera I found that at least two pins on each of the four sides of the ATmel chip have no or insufficient solder.
KG7ABM

Post by KG7ABM »

I just received a pre-built radio from the approved eBay vendor. No TX yet, just tuning around, and playing with controls. Am getting odd losses of audio, and partial "lock-ups", often requiring a power cycle to correct, though sometimes the radio recovers on its own. Too soon to see a definite pattern of cause and effect.

Are certain kinds of crashes or lock-ups, audio loss, etc., normal, and best ignored, or the causative situations avoided?

I've seen several threads with somewhat similar symptoms of "crashes"/lock-ups, sometimes in TX, sometimes in RX. In this one there is a suggestion that it is related to poor solder joints on the board.

I bought the assembled radio because I've not got the time/patience for kits right now. Before I open it up and fire up the surface mount rework station (and with my luck, do damage!), I'd like to hear from others.

Thanks & 73, John - KG7ABM
DL2MAN

Post by DL2MAN »

For Crashs and Lockups:
First thing to do is: Reset (Press rotary Button while powering up)
If that doesnt help:
Update Firmware (try latest Beta, as it´s always has most bug fixes)

Regarding the random power measurements, people are posting here in the forum and seem to be concerned about, using onboard measurements:
1. Anything between 3-6W is within the expected Range @12V
2. The Differnce between 3W and 6W is not noticable on your QSO Partner´s side (half an S-Point)
3. Check/Calibrate internal measurements, before taking actions based upon those internal readings.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBPIdE0tRo0
In this Video, the checking of interal readings/calibration was the very first thing I did, before taking any measurements seriously. This Video also shows the Kind of measurements I perform to judge if the radio is within specs. This Video is uncut, and you can also see my failures.

(tr)uSDX is a DIY Rig, not to be compared with commercial Radios. You´re basically either building a Kit, then you know what you´re doing, or you paid someone else (Sunny) to build a Kit for you.... Keep that in Mind, whenever you think you want 5W over 3W of Output Power. If you want that: Make it happen !

Just my thougths on the expectations of some "buyers".

73 Manuel; DL2MAN
hisonauto@gmail.com

Post by hisonauto@gmail.com »

Hi! My name is Sunny. I'm very sorry. Due to the network restriction of national policy, there are few chances to log on this page in domestic network, so I just saw your message now. I found KG7ABM (John) through the call sign, and put forward the solution. But I can't find kw4mj (if this friend sees this message, please contact us, we can solve this problem together, thank you).
Due to network restrictions, if you have any problems that you cannot change the use of rig by resetting or refreshing the program, you can contact Sunny's email: yangqiu8866@163.com, and we will try our best to solve any problems.
Thank you all for your support.

Sunny
KG7ABM

Post by KG7ABM »

Late Update: My "glitching" pre-assembled radio problem is resolved. Sunny contacted me after noting my question on this forum. A replacement Main Board took care of it. When I did the swap, I examined the original and new boards, but could see nothing different between them (solder coverage) that would account for the problem - though the issue may not have been visible to a casual inspection under a magnifier.

I liked the radio so much that I ordered a 2nd assembled radio, which seems to be working fine. Though I've not yet examined them for detailed performance specs, both have now made digital contacts.

Thanks, Sunny. - John, KG7ABM