Radio won't power on

n9zcd

Radio won't power on

Post by n9zcd »

I purchased a (tr)uSDX fully assembled from the uellyqh store on eBay (highly recommended btw) and ran it for some months successfully. I had no problems with it that were not self-inflicted :-).

When one of my kids got his General, I flashed the radio with his callsign and gave it to him. I ordered a second (tr)uSDX for myself from uellyqh.

My kid used the radio a bit successfully at school and brought it home. It's very cold outside but the radio was in the house for around 18 hours before it came onto my bench. Whereupon it would not power up at all.

I plugged it into 12VDC (via a Bioenno battery) and it would not turn on. I plugged the same battery and cable into my radio and it worked fine. I plugged his into USB Micro and it would not turn on. Using the same cable my radio booted up just fine.

I have attempted several times to factory reset it by pushing the Encoder in while plugging it in, nothing. Pressing the encoder and turning it (to turn the volume up and down) makes no sounds. I shined a flashlight onto the tiny screen while it was plugged in to see if the backlight was off, and couldn't see anything.

What should I try next?

Many thanks and 73 de N9ZCD
n9zcd

Re: Radio won't power on

Post by n9zcd »

No ideas?
DL2MAN

Re: Radio won't power on

Post by DL2MAN »

n9zcd wrote: 03 Feb 2023, 21:07 What should I try next?
Open it up, print out schematic and start measuring where your supply voltage is still present and where not. Use a bench power supply with current limitation.
Very common is: Blown FET causing a short that pulls down 12V line. Try it without rf board to check for that.

73 Manuel; DL2MAN