e-ink display

Steves999

e-ink display

Post by Steves999 »

I was operating in bright sunshine the other day and really struggled to read the display (even with my MC helmet as a big sunshield - pics below!). It made me think about e-ink displays and wondering if anyone's played with small ones? I may get one to learn a bit about them and see if there's any possibility of using one with the (tr)usdx.

***EDIT**** thinking again, this would likely require modification to code, so not relevant to the (tr)usdx, unless Manuel or Guido are interested ;-)
Attachments
My project.jpg
My project.jpg (71.29 KiB) Viewed 1708 times
My project (1).jpg
My project (1).jpg (82.21 KiB) Viewed 1708 times
ZL1SGS
jginaz

Re: e-ink display

Post by jginaz »

I had the same thought and bought a cheap one. It took months off an on to get it to work with RP2040. Turns out it is way too slow refresh to be practical(12 seconds!!). There are faster more expensive ones but are still in the second range to refresh.

Jay KE7OT
Steves999

Post by Steves999 »

I thought someone would have tried it! 12 seconds if pretty ridiculous! I was thinking of Kindle type refresh times - even 1 second is pretty slow.
ZL1SGS
SA4DHT

Post by SA4DHT »

It is possible to use partial update on epaper to make it fast enough for this transceiver. https://youtu.be/pTCyJAUGWYg

73 SA4DHT
jginaz

Post by jginaz »

I agree on partial update but the displays that support it are in the $20 range. That is a high percentage of the kit cost. However, if I can get the usb serial host to work I may go for it for an external display that uses CAT.

KE7OT
DL2MAN

Post by DL2MAN »

Now I have to be the killjoy again: You can plot updates all day long, but without access to the software, you'll have a hard time making it happen. The (tr)uSDX is designed as standard hardware, and such modifications are not planned. A German proverb says: You shouldn't do the bill without the innkeeper.

73 Manuel, DL2MAN
reytek79

Post by reytek79 »

DL2MAN wrote: 13 Feb 2023, 09:43 Now I have to be the killjoy again: You can plot updates all day long, but without access to the software, you'll have a hard time making it happen. The (tr)uSDX is designed as standard hardware, and such modifications are not planned. A German proverb says: You shouldn't do the bill without the innkeeper.

73 Manuel, DL2MAN
Manuel we are very grateful for everything you and Guido have done and continue to do for everyone, I know you have many tasks to do, I see that the main purpose of the tr usdx is for use in the field where it is often in the sun where it makes it difficult a lot of visualization, some users have visual problems which makes visualization even more difficult under these conditions, would it be possible to review this display issue, I know that it is not an easy task it seems to me that there are noise problems with some displays , well, I believe that if you have the possibility of using a larger display or one that is better viewed in sunlight, the tr usdx would be perfect.
DL2MAN

Post by DL2MAN »

reytek79 wrote: 13 Feb 2023, 11:53 Manuel we are very grateful for everything you and Guido have done and continue to do for everyone, I know you have many tasks to do, I see that the main purpose of the tr usdx is for use in the field where it is often in the sun where it makes it difficult a lot of visualization, some users have visual problems which makes visualization even more difficult under these conditions, would it be possible to review this display issue, I know that it is not an easy task it seems to me that there are noise problems with some displays , well, I believe that if you have the possibility of using a larger display or one that is better viewed in sunlight, the tr usdx would be perfect.
Sorry, there will be no hardware update to the original (tr)uSDX. It was designed to be as tiny as it is.
The "hard to read display in direct sunlight fix" is easy: Create shade.
We will at some Point release a new rig, including bigger Display, more Bands, more features, more powerful processor etc, but this will no longer run under working title "(tr)uSDX", but something new.
(tr)uSDX is and will stay the standard set of hardware, that it is right now.
Please start to accept, that (tr)uSDX is what it is. There will be software updates with new features very soon, but no hardware changes.

And before you ask: No, we have no release date, no schedule, no promises, and no further information about a the new rig. It is a PCB and Software sketch right now an a huge "to do list" and we both cannot find any time to continue work on it. So it´s on hold right now. Remember: It´s a hobby-project, not a full-time job. Even though it feels different for me ;)

73 Manuel; DL2MAN
reytek79

Post by reytek79 »

DL2MAN wrote: 13 Feb 2023, 13:51
reytek79 wrote: 13 Feb 2023, 11:53 Manuel we are very grateful for everything you and Guido have done and continue to do for everyone, I know you have many tasks to do, I see that the main purpose of the tr usdx is for use in the field where it is often in the sun where it makes it difficult a lot of visualization, some users have visual problems which makes visualization even more difficult under these conditions, would it be possible to review this display issue, I know that it is not an easy task it seems to me that there are noise problems with some displays , well, I believe that if you have the possibility of using a larger display or one that is better viewed in sunlight, the tr usdx would be perfect.
Sorry, there will be no hardware update to the original (tr)uSDX. It was designed to be as tiny as it is.
The "hard to read display in direct sunlight fix" is easy: Create shade.
We will at some Point release a new rig, including bigger Display, more Bands, more features, more powerful processor etc, but this will no longer run under working title "(tr)uSDX", but something new.
(tr)uSDX is and will stay the standard set of hardware, that it is right now.
Please start to accept, that (tr)uSDX is what it is. There will be software updates with new features very soon, but no hardware changes.

And before you ask: No, we have no release date, no schedule, no promises, and no further information about a the new rig. It is a PCB and Software sketch right now an a huge "to do list" and we both cannot find any time to continue work on it. So it´s on hold right now. Remember: It´s a hobby-project, not a full-time job. Even though it feels different for me ;)

73 Manuel; DL2MAN
Ok friend, I understand, thanks for answering me
jginaz

Post by jginaz »

DL2MAN wrote: 13 Feb 2023, 09:43 Now I have to be the killjoy again: You can plot updates all day long, but without access to the software, you'll have a hard time making it happen. The (tr)uSDX is designed as standard hardware, and such modifications are not planned. A German proverb says: You shouldn't do the bill without the innkeeper.

73 Manuel, DL2MAN
Manuel, my plan wasn’t to require changes, I was planning to use the e-ink externally using CAT just for outdoor use. Still working on trying to get a USB host to work on RPi 2040.
Regards Jay KE7OT