Adding 6th band (30m) to "Classic" version?

RF_one

Adding 6th band (30m) to "Classic" version?

Post by RF_one »

New to the forum. Congrats to Manuel and Guido for your incredible work, the V2.0 spectrum display is amazing - opens up a new dimension of operating.

Haven't found this question asked by someone else:
Can we add an additional band by re-using an apropriate PA low pass filter? This seems standard practice even in $$$ commercial rigs, where the 60m band frequently re-uses the 7 Mhz PA LPF.
FW does not seem to be the issue, of course a version needs to be configured accordingly.
I would like to add 30m - a really good band in Europe - to the "Classic" version. The PA 14 MHz LPF, assuming the cut-off frequency is 14.5 or 15 MHz will almost certainly provide 30 dB+ of attenuation at 20 MHz. The remaining -10 dB comes from the physical attenuation of the 2nd harmonic - presto!
RF_one

Re: Adding 6th band (30m) to "Classic" version?

Post by RF_one »

I believe I can answer my own question, having looked at the circuit diagram with the excellently documented PA output filters, and having read up a bit in the "questions to the developers" thread.

Hardware is what it is and will not be changed for the time being - for quality assurance reasons. Take your pick from the 3 supported "low", "high" and "classic" variants. PA output filters (these not being simple LPFs) are band-specific and can/should be tweaked.
Perhaps there are other arguments.

So for anyone wishing to have a (tr)uSDX with more than 5 bands the 8band PA boards would appear a possible solution (https://dl2man.de/8-band-rf-board/). The warning at the end (will self-destroy if SWR is too high) is a little worrying though, and there does not seem to be a source for PCB/component kits - perhaps for this reason.
LILO

Post by LILO »

It's for uSDX sandwich, not for (tr)uSDX.
RF_one

Post by RF_one »

True. Pity. It seems an 8 band Tr(uSDX) version may be another while, according to this posting

Assembled 8 band 80-10 (tr)uSDX
viewtopic.php?t=708