Any App-Programmers here ? #CATStreaming

DL2MAN

Any App-Programmers here ? #CATStreaming

Post by DL2MAN »

Hey guys,

as you might have heard from my last youtube Video:
CAT-Streaming is now completely enabled in (tr)uSDX (RX&TX).
But we still lack an application that makes it useable....

So is there anyone, who can and is willing to program an app, that emulates a COM Port and virtual Sound-Card, so it can be used in other PC Applications ? This would be beneficial for all (tr)uSDX users, as there would no longer be a need for Audio Cables, when doing digi-modes....

73 Manuel; DL2MAN
pe1nnz

Re: Any App-Programmers here ? #CATStreaming

Post by pe1nnz »

All,

CAT streaming allows the (tr)uSDX to send audio over the CAT serial interface to/from the host, removing the need of audio cables while operating digital-modes from the PC, while still being able to operate CAT.
On the host, an application is used to connect (tr)uSDX CAT streaming to digital modes applications (e.g. via an audio/serial loop-back).

For those who like to experiment/contribute with the CAT streaming feature, please consider the following:

1. Please update to the latest 2.00u firmware which should resolve some bug/missing features in 2.00t. You casn downloaded: here https://dl2man.de/wp-content/uploads/20 ... alpha.html

2. Please consult CAT streaming protocol details here: https://dl2man.de/5-trusdx-details/

73, Guido
N1CJ

Post by N1CJ »

You might want to get in contact with the developers for FT8 Radio and Pocket RxTx. Those are both Android products with at least partial support for the (tr)uSDX.
73 - N1CJ
DK2CW

Post by DK2CW »

Hey,

I just wrote a little proof of concept Python script that allows cat streaming for RX on Windows. It requires Virtual Audio Cable. Works with WSJT-X and decodes FT8 :)

It has a delay of one second in the audio because of buffering. If anybody has a fix, just post your suggestions.

I think TX and CAT control would also be possible with a little effort. Using com0com it should be possible to setup a virtual COM interface and then reading the CAT commands from WSJT-X. This would allow switching between RX and TX streaming and also forwarding the CAT commands to the truSDX. I'll try this when I have some time.
Attachments
cat_rx.zip
(726 Bytes) Downloaded 121 times
pe1nnz

Post by pe1nnz »

Thanks for this contribution.

Will give it a try tonight and possibly we can extend this a bit with com0com support and audio in tx direction.

In this document https://pypi.org/project/SoundCard/ there are some hints given to reduce latency and smaller buffer sizes.

Another trick could be to increase the samplerate, so that buffers are faster filled. E.g by injecting 4 copies of the same sample, with a sample rate of 4*7825, or some averaging in the samples to do upsampling

I was also playing with nuitka, which can generate a nice windows/Linux/Marcos/... binary for non-python users.
OK4MR

Post by OK4MR »

Is RTS pin of CH340 still used for CW keying in 2.00u firmware?
pe1nnz

Post by pe1nnz »

Is RTS pin of CH340 still used for CW keying in 2.00u firmware?
Yes, RTS is still used for keying the rig, only in CW mode.
OK4MR

Post by OK4MR »

My rig reports MD3; and I can transmit through TX; . I checked voltage level on pin 14 CH340 and this voltage level is changed in accordance with commands. I checked path to pin PD4 MCU and this path is correct.

But I cannot transmit through RTS pin. Can be something bad in settings? I use Key Mode: Straight.
N1CJ

Post by N1CJ »

@pe1nnz, I finally got to try out the trusdx usb audio driver on my raspberry pi. very cool stuff. I'm still kind of amazed that it works this well. I haven't been able to make any ft8 contacts yet, but I can see it is decoding the way it's supposed to.

I'm having a little trouble with transmitting, though. When I enable transmit, I see the trusdx go into transmit mode, my tuner shows power out for about 1 second, and then goes to 0 while the trusdx still says it's transmitting. Any ideas why this is happening?
73 - N1CJ