(tr)uSDX stopped working suddenly

lu2efi

(tr)uSDX stopped working suddenly

Post by lu2efi »

Hi all!
Today my truSDX stopped working, I've used it in the morning without problem and when I've tried to use it in the afternoon it doesn't boot anymore. Screen shows this string:

Code: Select all

0E0F10111213151617
and blinks every 5 seconds.

I tried to update the firmware two times: writes works fine but verification fails with "verification error; content mismatch".
Does someone have some idea to try?
Thanks in advance
dl6sez

Re: (tr)uSDX stopped working suddenly

Post by dl6sez »

Hello OM,

try on several USB ports and short USB cables. The port and cable can play a significant role.
Have you used AVRdudess portable and used the right options as DL2MAN shows?

If this really does not work after several different tries, you can try burning a new bootloader wie ISP port inside with a Arduino as ISP or an USBAsp special programmer (cheaper than a Arduino normaly).

73 de Chris
Chris DL6SEZ, JN48XL near Ulm, Southern Germany
DL2MAN

Post by DL2MAN »

lu2efi wrote: 26 Feb 2023, 00:47 Hi all!
Today my truSDX stopped working, I've used it in the morning without problem and when I've tried to use it in the afternoon it doesn't boot anymore. Screen shows this string:

0E0F10111213151617
and blinks every 5 seconds.

I tried to update the firmware two times: writes works fine but verification fails with "verification error; content mismatch".
Does someone have some idea to try?
Thanks in advance
I´ve never seen something like this before, so I´ve asked Guido.
Here is his response:
That serial number with increasing numbers indicates that there is an issue with the internal memory banks of the atmega chip. He can try to install new firmware with that serial number, but I do not think there is much you can do other than replacing the chip.
scubafrique

Post by scubafrique »

I’ve just got the same thing: same number I’ve noticed that the 12v was intermittently working before this and gave now seen that the “tab” where the positive goes (and the second +) have both lifted off hence there’s no connectivity

Not sure if it’s this it where to with this board - just frustrating!

ZA1FSX / G4FSX
G4FSX / ZS1FSX
lu2efi

Post by lu2efi »

DL2MAN wrote: 27 Feb 2023, 15:16 I´ve never seen something like this before, so I´ve asked Guido.
Here is his response:
That serial number with increasing numbers indicates that there is an issue with the internal memory banks of the atmega chip. He can try to install new firmware with that serial number, but I do not think there is much you can do other than replacing the chip.
Manuel, number on screen doesn't increase, just blinks exactly 5 seconds.
I agree with Guido suspecting from the atmega mcu: first times I've tried to update the firmware it was rewritten without problem, but the final verification failed (my first post symptom). Now, I can't access the chip at all:

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
>>>: avrdude -c arduino -p m328 -P COM4 -b 115200 -U flash:w:"X:\trusdx\LU2EFI_truSDX-beta_4C304D484B4918162F_Firmware.hex":a 

avrdude.exe: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | 
avrdude.exe: arduino_read_sig_bytes(): (a) protocol error, expect=0x10, resp=0x43
avrdude.exe: error reading signature data for part "ATmega328", rc=-3
avrdude.exe: error reading signature data, rc=-3
avrdude.exe: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

avrdude.exe done.  Thank you.
Next recommended step could be atmega replacement right?
Thanks all for your help
G4VSZ

Post by G4VSZ »

Hi All

I had a sudden stop working when I was going through the testing of the power etc as in DL2MAN video so as I read here I reprogrammed the rig using the procedure out line in DL2MAN text and all working again now ... I have such faith in the little radio and so much fun that I decided to buy a ready made one from his approved suppliers this time and it should arrive May 2nd !!!

Now I can press on with the testing my existing one !!!!...

Keep up the good work Manuel

UPDATE

This failure to operate suddenly happened after I had put the LATEST Beta version of the software in the unit.
dc9lw

Post by dc9lw »

Hello everyone
I assembled a truSDX and the firmware was already installed in the kit,
but then I have the same problem as lu2efi
my truSDX worked for about half an hour and then the display remained dark. The firmware change worked, but there is no reset and then only the serial number is displayed, the last three digits of which do not match the information in the downloaded Hex File.
How can I bring him back to life

DC9LW
DL2MAN

Post by DL2MAN »

@all: In case of such an event:
Re-Install bootloader and burn fuses again, then re-install firmware:
https://dl2man.de/3a-trusdx-bootloader/
https://dl2man.de/3b-trusdx-firmware/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_oj9025o9M

73 Manuel; DL2MAN
dc9lw

Post by dc9lw »

Thanks for the reply Manuel
The first time I tried it, I probably turned off the display and couldn't get it back on. (Read the manual first!) After that I updated the firmware and used the serial number from the supplier. But this number is WRONG! Since the device only displayed one number, I used this to create the firmware and it worked.

73 Guenter DC9LW