OLED Display

JohnK1JD

Re: OLED Display

Post by JohnK1JD »

IMG_8512.jpeg
IMG_8512.jpeg (163.38 KiB) Viewed 3805 times
Robert, all

Thanks to you and others for efforts to increase display brightness and readability.

The 8 volt regulator to raise OLED Vcc voltage and therefore its brightness fits nicely on the OLED board with the ground tab soldered to the grounded side of C8. A very short wire runs from the regulator output to the Vcc side of C6. C6 is already grounded so no additional capacitor should be needed across the regulator output. This approach works well and is easy to implement.

John K1JD
wa2t

Post by wa2t »

JohnK1JD wrote: 16 Jun 2022, 18:14 IMG_8512.jpeg

Robert, all

Thanks to you and others for efforts to increase display brightness and readability.

The 8 volt regulator to raise OLED Vcc voltage and therefore its brightness fits nicely on the OLED board with the ground tab soldered to the grounded side of C8. A very short wire runs from the regulator output to the Vcc side of C6. C6 is already grounded so no additional capacitor should be needed across the regulator output. This approach works well and is easy to implement.

John K1JD
Hi John,

Yes, but you have no OLED if you power from USB without the diode. If that does not matter to you, then fine.

Robert, WA2T
9a5yy

Post by 9a5yy »

Hello Robert!

I soldered one more trusdx and made OLED modification on it. So, I compared brigthness of OLED indoors and outdoors at both trusdx. The trudsx with OLED modification has got much better brigthness of OLED display indoors and outdoors than trusdx without OLED modification. So, I suggest everyone to do this modification. Thank you very much for this sulution.

73 de Neven, 9A5YY
it9hre

Post by it9hre »

Hi Robert,
just a clarification to implement the change: do you need to isolate the 5v connection that normally powers the display via the connector or not?
P.S. Unfortunately I connected the capacitor between the input and output of the 78l08 regulator instead of between the output and ground and now the audio feels like a constant "bird of death" sound on all bands. Moreover no RX and no TX, but voltages are ok . I tried to undo the changes but without success, so something got damaged...
'73 de IT9HRE
Salvo
Will W7WRP

Post by Will W7WRP »

Does any know of a video showing a walk through of the mod?
Ohwenzelph

Post by Ohwenzelph »

I thought it was a 9 volt charge pump. So would a 78L09 or 78M09 be better/brighter? Or would the 9 volts burn up the OLED?
DM5AF-Andy

Post by DM5AF-Andy »

9V will no burn the oled. Have a look in the data sheet. You can use them up to 16 V. I drive my oled with 13,8 V and an diode to secure the 5 V line. Now for a half a year and min 50 hours in use . No problems up to now. And good to read outdoor and sun. And I do this in several other projects with oled´s.
vy 73 DM5AF Andreas. Dortmund
mail: dm5af@darc.de
Ohwenzelph

Post by Ohwenzelph »

So you don’t need a voltage regulator, you can just hook it up to the 12 volt line instead of the 5 volt one? Is that right???
DM5AF-Andy

Post by DM5AF-Andy »

Correct so did I. But don't forget the diode to protect the 5V line.
db9pz

Post by db9pz »

DM5AF-Andy wrote: 20 Mar 2023, 16:50 9V will no burn the oled. Have a look in the data sheet. You can use them up to 16 V. I drive my oled with 13,8 V and an diode to secure the 5 V line. Now for a half a year and min 50 hours in use . No problems up to now. And good to read outdoor and sun. And I do this in several other projects with oled´s.

- STOP ! ! ! -

Don't do it, without a L78L08 or 09 regulator!

There are different O-LED's in use, around the world, take care of that!
Not only the withe and the blue one, also the twin-color devices, and the 'much bigger' 1.3- inch one!

I 'burnt' my O-LED (withe one) with 13,8V nearly imeadiadly ! It "shines bright and strong", but only for a few Seconds!
After that it was very 'dim', ... it was defect!

Dont push the voltage over 10V, it seems that 12V is a absolute maximum voltage on the supply-pins, for the 'modified O-LED' !

With a 12V stable power-supply, everything looked O. K., but NOT with 13,8V !

I found a similar device by a german supplier (Pollin Elekrtonik) for abt. less then 8€, and it was a quick send to my address! (3 days!)

I also found a 1.3-inch display on 'Amazon' for less then 13€, and it took over a week to arrive here!

But, it is the 'better display', because I can read it, without my 'googles' !

It seems to be a small step, but it's a 'giant leap' in size, for a 'half-blind' human beeing in man-kind!

It's real big difference, when you see it,
comparison side by side!

73/72 de Markus - db9pz (JN39fq - nr LX)
DM5AF-Andy

Post by DM5AF-Andy »

Why do you say !!stop!! dear OM Markus.

Only because you failed in your case ;-)

It works here without any problem for over 50 hour. And also in other devices. The data sheet for my oled says you can use it up to 15 V ( my mistake not 16 V ) for the panel driving, but not for the logic drive. See the picture attached.
Look at the data sheet for the oled you plan to use, and you can see if it will work.

But every ones home is his own kingdom. Try it or leave it.

I enjoy reading my oled outside by sunshine without any problems.
OLED Betreibsspannung Kopie.jpg
OLED Betreibsspannung Kopie.jpg (168.06 KiB) Viewed 2681 times

db9pz wrote: 26 Mar 2023, 16:21
DM5AF-Andy wrote: 20 Mar 2023, 16:50 9V will no burn the oled. Have a look in the data sheet. You can use them up to 16 V. I drive my oled with 13,8 V and an diode to secure the 5 V line. Now for a half a year and min 50 hours in use . No problems up to now. And good to read outdoor and sun. And I do this in several other projects with oled´s.

- STOP ! ! ! -

Not only the withe and the blue one, also the twin-color devices, and the 'much bigger' 1.3- inch one!

I 'burnt' my O-LED (withe one) with 13,8V nearly imeadiadly ! It "shines bright and strong", but only for a few Seconds!

Dont push the voltage over 10V, it seems that 12V is a absolute maximum voltage on the supply-pins, for the 'modified O-LED' !

I found a similar device by a german supplier (Pollin Elekrtonik) for abt. less then 8€, and it was a quick send to my address! (3 days!)

I also found a 1.3-inch display on 'Amazon' for less then 13€, and it took over a week to arrive here!

It seems to be a small step, but it's a 'giant leap' in size, for a 'half-blind' human beeing in man-kind!

comparison side by side!

db9pz

Post by db9pz »

Wow!

It should be 'better' to make the "78L09(08) mod." , because, as I said, it can be dangerous!

In my TRX it was 'dangerous'!

And, after a very bright shinning for a few seconds as a 'working display', all I can see, was 'nothing' any more,
Nada,
nix,
kaputt,
gone,
my O-LED display ain't working any more!

It does do the work, until I 'overdrive' the voltage by 1,8V ( ! ! ! )

12+1,8=13,8V DC from my 'regulated main-power supply' !
12V/1A from a 'wall-wart was O.K. - but 13.8V from my 'big HF-supply' was to much, a 'touch to much', ... !
(As 'akka-dakka' would say!)

It's up to you, to 'buy' a new display, and wait for it to arrive, ... !

It was a 'friendly advice', not to kill the part, that is absolute mandatory for your (TR)_U_SDX , especially in the 'bright sunlight', ... !
(Maybe you 'CAD' your TRX via a 'Computer? Then, you don't 'need' a display in either way, ... ! But, ... is that the way it should be work, as a small independend TRX in the wood's? It should show us the frequency and the mode, power and SWR, and all the other 'bell's and whistle's' ?

Did you read the 'second part' of my 'message' ?

There is a 'hint' for the 1.3-inch display, that I 'replaced', after my 'bad expirience' with the 0.96-inch display.

It 'looks' absolut the same, in 'shape', and 'connectors', than the smaller ones.

And it works, with the same 'mod', as a 'charme' !
- Also, very 'bright' with a 'L78L09 -mod'! -

Believe it, or not! I can read now the (TR)_U_SDX diplay in the full sunshine, without my glasses!

And this is, maybe, important for other OM's/YL's, using this small TRX in the free air, in 'rough' conditions, ... ! - and it works flawlessly! -

And, that's something, I will told you, is better, then 'risking' to blew up, the small or the 'bigger' one of the displays, ... !

Give 50€cent, to save abt. 8€ or more and the time, it will arrive at your door!

My 'first' replacement took 14 day, to come to DL, and it was 'broken'! Glass was shattered, pins are 45 degrees bent down! (Thank you, Amazon! What idiot sends a glas-display in an enveloop, without any 'protction' layer inside?)
I reclaimed the device, but had to wait 'another fortnight', to have a 'new' -new one- at home!

Wow, four weeks I spend my 'batteries' not working my (TR)_U_SDX !

Take it easy, it is, as I said, a friendly advice, nothing more, ... !

73/72 de Markus - db9pz (JN39fq)
reytek79

Post by reytek79 »

DM5AF-Andy wrote: 27 Mar 2023, 20:39 Why do you say !!stop!! dear OM Markus.

It works here without any problem for over 50 hour. And also in other devices. The data sheet for my oled says you can use it up to 15 V ( my mistake not 16 V ) for the panel driving, but not for the logic drive. See the picture attached.
Look at the data sheet for the oled you plan to use, and you can see if it will work.

db9pz wrote: 26 Mar 2023, 16:21

- STOP ! ! ! -

comparison side by side!

I'm also using it without a regulator and so far it's normal remembering that I put a diode to protect the 5V in my view the friend burned it because he must have also put 12v in the controller that seems to work with 3.3v.
db9pz

Post by db9pz »

DM5AF-Andy wrote: 27 Mar 2023, 20:39 Why do you say !!stop!! dear OM Markus.

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Andy,

first, there are different displays outside! Also when they look similar!
There are min. three different display-colours around, different 'pin-outs', differnt 'manufactures', ... and so on!

It would work on 12V DC, but could 'broke down' on 12V DC !

... and ... my 'castle' would be a very fine one, ... ! (Hi Hi ! ! ! )

You are refering to the 'unmodified O-LED', with the 'buildt-in-charge-pump'!

But, ... is that not the 'part of the device' you have to disable, because of the 'QRM', it makes all over the RF-band?

We are using the 'inner pins', to connect a DC-voltage, that is 'normaly abt. 9V DC'. Someone made a test, and confirmed the ~9V !

The 'voltage' on these 'inner pins' should be max 12V, DC, beleave me, I have payed for my mistake.

Better do the 'mod' with a 78L08 (09), as I did! Had no 78L08 at hand, but a spare 79L09 around, and it works beautifull.

- It is 'a very bright shine' with 9V ! -

The second "mod" with the diode, (either a 1N4148 or a small Schottky-diode, will do it fine), is only necessary, when you need a display, when you 'power up' your (TR)_U_SDX from the USB-port, and only 0.5W output is 'needed' for TX, ... or to see what happend when 'programming' the device.

I have made a QSO in CW by 'accident' with a greek station, when I send a row of 'v' with my antenna 'connected' to my (TR)_U_SDX !

I had only an "old 5V-phone-loader' on the USB-micro port, to 'test' the radio for the first time, ... !

Man, what was I 'overwhelmed' to hear a reply to my 'vvvvv de db9pz - sry fr qrm', as a OM I answered, and made my 'first (TR)_U_SDX -QSO' by a mistake, ... ! This is one of the reasons, I love my small SDR-radio, ... !

See also my other message to you, and all the other 'home-brewers' !
(The 1.3-inch device!)

72/73 de Markus - db9pz
DM5AF-Andy

Post by DM5AF-Andy »

hey Markus,

thanks for your answers and the friendly advice.

To make it clear we do not talk about unmodified OLED Displays. Why should we do. No one likes QRM.

I think " many roads lead to Rome"
It's great to have those discussion boards to share informations and talk about them.
And in this post now a lot of informations are bundled and every reader
can use them to find his own way to his solution.

best 73. Andrea DM5AF
db9pz

Post by db9pz »

DM5AF-Andy wrote: 28 Mar 2023, 07:30 hey Markus,

thanks for your answers and the friendly advice.

To make it clear we do not talk about unmodified OLED Displays. Why should we do. No one likes QRM.

I think " many roads lead to Rome"
It's great to have those discussion boards to share informations and talk about them.
And in this post now a lot of informations are bundled and every reader
can use them to find his own way to his solution.

best 73. Andrea DM5AF
GM Andy,

I agree 100% !
That's what boards are good for, ... !

72/73 de Markus - db9pz (JN39fq)
og1e

Post by og1e »

Hi all and thank you for the good tips with this mod.

I'm building my first trusdr kit and modded the OLED voltage right away. I did not find a decent datasheet for the OLED model I have, but It did find some specs about it from one of the Aliexpress vendors (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004355547926.html) and it specified 12V as the input voltage for the display and 7.something volts when driven by its internal DC pump. So I chose 12V and 78L12 as the regulator instead of 8V.

I only had the regulators in a TO-92 package, which does not fit under the OLED board and only barely fits between the speaker and the OLED, but I was able to squeeze it there.

I also added a diode for USB power and everything seems to work nicely. The display is nice and bright with regulated 12V (actual input voltage was 13.5V), but I haven't tested this yet outside in the sunshine.

- Mika OG1E

---
IMG_6318.jpeg
IMG_6318.jpeg (180.61 KiB) Viewed 2637 times
IMG_6325.jpeg
IMG_6325.jpeg (185.54 KiB) Viewed 2637 times
IMG_6324.jpeg
IMG_6324.jpeg (174.39 KiB) Viewed 2637 times
db9pz

Post by db9pz »

og1e wrote: 28 Mar 2023, 15:56 Hi all and thank you for the good tips with this mod.

I'm building my first trusdr kit and modded the OLED voltage right away. I did not find a decent datasheet for the OLED model I have, but It did find some specs about it from one of the Aliexpress vendors (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004355547926.html) and it specified 12V as the input voltage for the display and 7.something volts when driven by its internal DC pump. So I chose 12V and 78L12 as the regulator instead of 8V.

I only had the regulators in a TO-92 package, which does not fit under the OLED board and only barely fits between the speaker and the OLED, but I was able to squeeze it there.

I also added a diode for USB power and everything seems to work nicely. The display is nice and bright with regulated 12V (actual input voltage was 13.5V), but I haven't tested this yet outside in the sunshine.

- Mika OG1E

---

IMG_6318.jpeg

IMG_6325.jpeg

IMG_6324.jpeg

Hi Mika,

maybe you are a 'lucky guy' and it works with the (regulated) 12V DC!
(As you stated, it's the 'max'. voltage to the 'inner pins'!)

The 78"L"- type is almost a TO-92 device.
I modified my O-LED-board, with 'flying leads/a wire-harness'. Not very nice to see, but it works without any problems!

Maybe a 9V will be better, but it's up to you, ... It should be 'save', when the voltage is not more than 12V maximum!

When the display is getting 'very, very dim', it could have been broken, ... !

Then, get a 'replacement' O-LED, and alter the 78L12 to an 78L09 or 78L08-type.
- (Hi Hi ! !) -

Don't forget to decouple the 'small regulator', with 0.1 mikro-Farad on the input- and output- pins.
(As we should do anywhere with this regulators. There could be an 'oscilation' in the output!)

Maybe the 'Gods' of RF are with you, and you have the 'magic' hands and all works without 'Mr. Murphy' in mind, ...

Good luck with your new (TR)_U_SDX !
... and happy Qrp-ing, ... !

reytek79

Post by reytek79 »

db9pz wrote: 28 Mar 2023, 17:47
og1e wrote: 28 Mar 2023, 15:56 Hi all and thank you for the good tips with this mod.

- Mika OG1E

---

IMG_6318.jpeg

IMG_6325.jpeg

IMG_6324.jpeg

Hi Mika,

I modified my O-LED-board, with 'flying leads/a wire-harness'. Not very nice to see, but it works without any problems!

Maybe a 9V will be better, but it's up to you, ... It should be 'save', when the voltage is not more than 12V maximum!

- (Hi Hi ! !) -

Don't forget to decouple the 'small regulator', with 0.1 mikro-Farad on the input- and output- pins.
(As we should do anywhere with this regulators. There could be an 'oscilation' in the output!)

Maybe the 'Gods' of RF are with you, and you have the 'magic' hands and all works without 'Mr. Murphy' in mind, ...

All the SSD1306 data sheets I've seen say that it supports 15v and 3.3v power for the controller where there is already a 3.3v regulator on the oled itself to make this 3.3v regulation for the controller regardless of the voltage input, I don't know why some here come to say that you can't use more than 9v I use 13v directly without any regulator I just put a diode to protect the 5v, which means that the manufacturer is passing wrong information on the data sheet where it says support up to 15v?
db9pz

Post by db9pz »

reytek79 wrote: 29 Mar 2023, 14:38
db9pz wrote: 28 Mar 2023, 17:47

- Mika OG1E

---

IMG_6318.jpeg

IMG_6325.jpeg

IMG_6324.jpeg

Hi Mika,

- (Hi Hi ! !) -

All the SSD1306 data sheets I've seen say that it supports 15v and 3.3v power for the controller where there is already a 3.3v regulator on the oled itself to make this 3.3v regulation for the controller regardless of the voltage input, I don't know why some here come to say that you can't use more than 9v I use 13v directly without any regulator I just put a diode to protect the 5v, which means that the manufacturer is passing wrong information on the data sheet where it says support up to 15v?
Maybe, you are a 'lucky guy'!

Mine went out of bussiness, when it get more than 12V direct to the 'inner pins' !

You all forget, that we 'modified' the display! At 13.8V my display lights up very bright, for about 5 seconds, and then it was 'gone' ! At 12V it was O.K., for a few days! But not at 13.8V !
- This is my expirience! -

That is what I have to say, ... !

72/73 de Markus - db9pz (JN39fq)
DL2MAN

Post by DL2MAN »

reytek79 wrote: 29 Mar 2023, 14:38 All the SSD1306 data sheets I've seen say that it supports 15v and 3.3v power for the controller where there is already a 3.3v regulator on the oled itself to make this 3.3v regulation for the controller regardless of the voltage input, I don't know why some here come to say that you can't use more than 9v I use 13v directly without any regulator I just put a diode to protect the 5v, which means that the manufacturer is passing wrong information on the data sheet where it says support up to 15v?
Because with the OLED Mod we´re doing, we´re disabling the OnBoard Voltage regulator (Charge Pump) and you´re limited to safe 8V. I went for 5V as we already had it OnBoard.
If you keep it at 12V, I´m waiting for your post "My Display went black, what can I do ?"
I have seen it happen ! Myself. There´s a reason why we recommend certain things. If you want to do otherwise, that´s up to you, but don´t recomment this dangerous practice to other users !
The new 2 color OLEDs are brighter anyway.

73 manuel; DL2MAN
reytek79

Post by reytek79 »

DL2MAN wrote: 30 Mar 2023, 09:28
reytek79 wrote: 29 Mar 2023, 14:38 All the SSD1306 data sheets I've seen say that it supports 15v and 3.3v power for the controller where there is already a 3.3v regulator on the oled itself to make this 3.3v regulation for the controller regardless of the voltage input, I don't know why some here come to say that you can't use more than 9v I use 13v directly without any regulator I just put a diode to protect the 5v, which means that the manufacturer is passing wrong information on the data sheet where it says support up to 15v?
Because with the OLED Mod we´re doing, we´re disabling the OnBoard Voltage regulator (Charge Pump) and you´re limited to safe 8V. I went for 5V as we already had it OnBoard.
If you keep it at 12V, I´m waiting for your post "My Display went black, what can I do ?"
I have seen it happen ! Myself. There´s a reason why we recommend certain things. If you want to do otherwise, that´s up to you, but don´t recomment this dangerous practice to other users !
The new 2 color OLEDs are brighter anyway.

73 manuel; DL2MAN
Hello Manuel, all right, I must be missing something so, I borrowed this photo to try to explain my reasoning, when you put the 12v using a diode as in the photo, the 12v will not feed the 3.3v regulator due to the diode , then the regulator that feeds the oled controller IC that works with 3.3v will continue receiving the 5v and regulating to 3.3v that will feed the controller, wouldn't that be it or am I mistaken?
Attachments
8V and 5V USB s.jpg
8V and 5V USB s.jpg (246.36 KiB) Viewed 2560 times
DL2MAN

Post by DL2MAN »

But the Display itself can only handle 8V.
The issue is not about feeding soemthing into 5V Line or 3V3 Line.
It´s about 12V on display itself (Bottom of C6).
With the suggested OLED mod, we´ve disabled the internal charge pump, that would normally create the Voltage for the display (On Board of OLED), but it´s noisy. We disable it because of the noise.
Now we feed clean 5V into Display and noise is reduced. Good thing.
When you apply more Voltage than display can handle, it will be destroyed. SImple as that.

73 Manuel; DL2MAN
reytek79

Post by reytek79 »

DL2MAN wrote: 30 Mar 2023, 22:22 But the Display itself can only handle 8V.
The issue is not about feeding soemthing into 5V Line or 3V3 Line.
It´s about 12V on display itself (Bottom of C6).
With the suggested OLED mod, we´ve disabled the internal charge pump, that would normally create the Voltage for the display (On Board of OLED), but it´s noisy. We disable it because of the noise.
Now we feed clean 5V into Display and noise is reduced. Good thing.
When you apply more Voltage than display can handle, it will be destroyed. SImple as that.

73 Manuel; DL2MAN
I understand what you mean, I just think it's strange that the display's data sheet shows that the panel supports up to 15v, but that's ok a 9v regulator is very cheap and very easy to find in any local store.
Attachments
OLED Betreibsspannung Kopie.jpg (193.48 KiB) Viewed 2531 times
DL2MAN

Post by DL2MAN »

Again:
With the OLED Mod, we DISABLE the part of the Circuit, that is responsible for those specs.
And we can discuss another 2 Days about it, but I´ve seen them die from over-voltage:
So back to my initial statement: You can do whatever you like, but don´t publicly recommend it, please.

73 Manuel; DL2MAN