ALERT: Misconfigured OLED in recent kits from UP TECH

VA3HF

ALERT: Misconfigured OLED in recent kits from UP TECH

Post by VA3HF »

ALERT

I recently just received the Classic kit from Up Tech Store and completed the kit. The display didn't work.

I found the fault - the OLED display is labeled and jumpered for VCC on pin 1 (square pad) and GND on pin 2. The proper display should be labeled with GND on pin 1 and VCC on pin 2.

If you change the solder pad jumpers to J2 and J3 from the supplied configuration of J1 and J4, it should work when installed (just the label will be wrong on those 2 pins). Those jumpers select the pins used for GND and VCC.

I informed Up Tech Store of their problem with their supplied OLED and asked them to contact those who got those kits with that part.

Posting here just in case you didn't get contacted and hopefully before you assembled and turned it on. It will likely let the smoke out of the display if you did and not work. I see others here have already let the smoke out and not found out why.

Edit by DL2MAN
to make topic sticky and keep it Up !
Thanks for Info !
KL7AC

Re: ALERT: Misconfigured OLED in recent kits from UP TECH

Post by KL7AC »

A day late for me! I can confirm that you will let the smoke out, hopefully hear from Tech Store soon.
I was just looking over the board again to figure out what I had did wrong when I went to the forum.
Answered the question before it was asked!
VA3HF

Post by VA3HF »

I kind of figured this may be a problem that only a message from Up Tech to their customers ASAP can prevent. Damn hard to unsolder the display unless you have a wide tip or lots of solder over all four pins.

At least you can see that you have a display problem because the silkscreen labeling of the pins are on the display side.
Constrainted

Post by Constrainted »

KL7AC wrote: 23 Dec 2022, 03:51 A day late for me! I can confirm that you will let the smoke out, hopefully hear from Tech Store soon.
I was just looking over the board again to figure out what I had did wrong when I went to the forum.
Sorry the info was too late! Is just the OLED destroyed, or the top board it is soldered to as well?
VA3HF

Post by VA3HF »

On mine, it was only the display.
KL7AC

Post by KL7AC »

Constrainted wrote: 23 Dec 2022, 09:57
KL7AC wrote: 23 Dec 2022, 03:51 A day late for me! I can confirm that you will let the smoke out, hopefully hear from Tech Store soon.
Sorry the info was too late! Is just the OLED destroyed, or the top board it is soldered to as well?
As far as I can tell just the OLED is done.
Ohwenzelph

Post by Ohwenzelph »

"If you change the solder pad jumpers to J2 and J3 from the supplied configuration of J1 and J4, it should work when installed (just the label will be wrong on those 2 pins). Those jumpers select the pins used for GND and VCC."
These jumpers are on the led board and not on the (tr)uSDX control board, correct?
Can you post a picture?
Is the bad board mis labeled? Or is it labeled correctly but just set up differently?
So how do I clearly detect that I need to alter the board that I have been sent?
Thanks
Ohwenzelph

Post by Ohwenzelph »

So is this the board configured correctly and ready to install?
Tnx
Attachments
2CB44595-3526-485A-A8F6-09A4613059B0.jpeg
2CB44595-3526-485A-A8F6-09A4613059B0.jpeg (107.45 KiB) Viewed 5453 times
VA3HF

Post by VA3HF »

Yes, those solder pad jumpers are correct. J2 and J3 to route GND (Square pad} on Pin 1 and VCC on pin 2.

How do you post pictures here if they aren't on a web already? I posted pics on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/trusdx/ ... 242059689/

This is a properly configured display:
https://www.amazon.com/Hosyond-Display- ... HJ1ZQ&th=1
DL2MAN

Post by DL2MAN »

I have informed Sunny to contact all buyers of the affected Kits.. she Said, she has almost recovered from her COVID Infection, and will Check tomorrow when she will be back at work again. She will inform all the buyers and send them substitute boards of needed.
73 Manuel DL2MAN
DO1CA

Post by DO1CA »

Hm. Looks like this is why my board didn't show any display activity.
I originally thought it might be due to my mediocre soldering abilities, ordered a replacement display from Amazon and was trying to exchange it, but I'm afraid I destroyed my board while desoldering the faulty display.
Does one happen to have a spare main board and is willing to sell it?
hisonauto@gmail.com

Post by hisonauto@gmail.com »

Hello everyone! In the past few days, we have received pictures from customers who have reversed the gnd-vcc to me, because China is the first time to open up the epidemic, and we are sick with COVID-19 for the first time, and the whole company soon entered a very serious body situation, so did not see the forum, very sorry! Thank you DL2MAN for contacting us, we got the message and went to the office to check all our other OLED.

Conclusion: Yes, some of our 1 bag (100pcs) OLEDs are VCC-GND instead of GND-VCC, it's never happened before, we neglected to check the sign on the screen. So, we contacted our screen supplier. Supplier Response: They may have accidentally put in something different, so sorry (they probably did it by accident), but! We issued a serious warning and asked them to rectify immediately.

So, here we are:
1. For the package (tr usdx kits) sent out before December 26, after receiving the package, please check the OLED logo as follows: GND-VCC, and then assemble it. If you found, VCC-GND, please do not assemble, contact us directly to replace the OLED.

2. When you receive the VCC-GND and have completed the assembly without knowing it, please contact us directly, and we will resend a set of mainboard and accessories (including a new OLED).

We are very sorry to give you a such bad experience this time! We will take full responsibility. We will also keep in touch with friends who bought kits about this matter. thank you all.
This situation will not appear for all kit OLEDs shipped from December 26th.

We wish you all a Happy New Year.

Sunny Yang
DO1CA

Post by DO1CA »

Hi Sunny,

thanks for the update on the situation. Hope you folks over there are getting better. News on the Covid-Situation in your country are frightening, and my thoughts are with you.

Kind regards and a happy year for you
Chris
iosephus

Post by iosephus »

Based on the advice here I contacted Sunny as I had an un-assembled kit I had bought and just recently assembled facing the Oled display issue. I have to say her response was very good and fast. Kudos to a very good seller.

Regards

Jose
Last edited by iosephus on 18 May 2023, 10:24, edited 2 times in total.
dl6sez

Post by dl6sez »

Hello OM,

didn't you recognize that Sunny is not related to the (tr)uSDX forum? She does not read this normally,
Please contact her by Email address on your post!

73 de Chris
Chris DL6SEZ, JN48XL near Ulm, Southern Germany