Splatter vs. VOX (JS8Call)

calinb

Splatter vs. VOX (JS8Call)

Post by calinb »

I am having problems with JS8Call and Linux hamlib incompatibilities and also experiencing the "decoder restarting" problem with the JS8Call appimage option. In my online research, I found that these are known JS8Call bugs so I have been using VOX instead of CAT with my new (tr)uSDX.

VOX works with JS8Call and I've had several long QSOs across the USA so far but when I turn down the audio input level to reduce splattering, VOX stops working reliably (sometimes there is no transmit) and blocks are dropped.

Is there a way increase the VOX sensitivity? I watched Manuel's howto video #4 and he mentions that menu item 3.2 "Noise Gate" might be the control I need to use. It is set to the default value (4).

What Noise Gate and AGC (or other settings) are are people using with VOX and JS8Call or other digital modes? I set AGC to "Off" or "Fast" on my other rigs, but Manuel explains that AGC OFF results in the volume control affecting receiver sensitivity along with audio volume levels.

TU and 73,
Cal (AD8Q)
pe1nnz

Re: Splatter vs. VOX (JS8Call)

Post by pe1nnz »

Hi Cal,

I am not aware that there are cat issues with js8call on Linux, and i have it running here. Can you share what firmware version you are using?

You can use VOX and set the threshold with noise gate (lower value is more sensitive), but the recommended method is cat control.

Did you try the latest beta?
M5AEI

Post by M5AEI »

Hi Cal,

I have been using both of my radio's with linux on Raspberry Pi's without issue for over 18 months. JS8Call, JTDX and WSJT-x.

Sorry to hear your issue,

73 Ellis M5AEI
calinb

Post by calinb »

M5AEI wrote: 18 Aug 2023, 23:41 Hi Cal,

I have been using both of my radio's with linux on Raspberry Pi's without issue for over 18 months. JS8Call, JTDX and WSJT-x.

Sorry to hear your issue,

73 Ellis M5AEI
Thanks, Ellis. I just ordered a couple of RPI4s. Inventory should arrive next month and I hope Mouser receives enough units to ship two of them to me! :)

pe1nnz wrote: 18 Aug 2023, 11:42 Hi Cal,

I am not aware that there are cat issues with js8call on Linux, and i have it running here. Can you share what firmware version you are using?

You can use VOX and set the threshold with noise gate (lower value is more sensitive), but the recommended method is cat control.

Did you try the latest beta?
Thank you for your reply, Guido!

I'm running the latest beta. I get hamlib protocol errors with the JS8Call binary and "JS8 decorder restarting" over and over with the official appimage program. To make a very long story short, i built hamlib and JS8Call from source and got CAT working with RTS. I didn't try CAT command PTT because RTS worked great so no more VOX issues but thank you for the noise gate setting explanation--just in case I ever need to use VOX again.

Again, thanks for the replies, tips and information!

73s,

Cal -- AD8Q