How are Users Setting Digi Mode Audio Output Levels?

calinb

How are Users Setting Digi Mode Audio Output Levels?

Post by calinb »

Lacking a USB power meter in the (tr)uSDX, are there any small, portable and inexpensive options for adjusting digital mode audio out levels? I'm currently using the power meter in my ATU, but it's an inconvenient and power-hungry solution for remote or mobile ops.

Even a small antenna feed line add-on board, operationally similar to the QRP Guys LED Tuning Indicator (for SWR tuning), would be adequate, if the LED brightness changed when output power changed. Anyone have any ideas?

Is there any chance that a USB mode power meter (or even some other kind of indicator) could be added to the (tr)uSDX? The CW mode power readout is nice, but it doesn't help me set my transmit audio levels for digital modes.

Thanks and 73,
Cal - AD8Q
DL2MAN

Re: How are Users Setting Digi Mode Audio Output Levels?

Post by DL2MAN »

Latest Beta has a power and modulation indicator built in.
https://dl2man.de/wp-content/uploads/20 ... /beta.html

73 Manuel; DL2MAN
calinb

Re: How are Users Setting Digi Mode Audio Output Levels?

Post by calinb »

Thank you very much for your help, Manuel!

I have R2.00u beta. I am using USB CAT (including for PTT) and audio cables to my laptop. (The "CAT" streaming" audio / USB cable only feature has not worked for me with any computer or OS I've tried, but audio cables are FB!)

When I transmit with JSCall ("TUNE" button or send a message), the meter my ATU displays accurate power (6W at 13.8 V supply, as desired), but nothing is displayed on the (tr)uSDX OLED. The 1.13 menu power/swr monitor setting makes no difference.

When I push the (tr)uSDX PTT in CW mode, the OLED displays power, per the 1.13 menu setting. The OLED also seems to respond and display accurate power with mic SSB inputs.

Given that power is displayed on the OLED in CW and SSB modes, I decided to try using the PTT button while using JS8Call:

If I push PTT on the (tr)uSDX while not transmitting with JS8Call, the OLED displays 0.7W and the ATU meter reads zero.

If I push PTT while JS8Call is transmitting, the OLED displays ~7.5W to 7.8W (scary) but the ATU still reads 6W.

Again, If I use JS8Call normally (using CAT to control PTT), the OLED never displays power.

Cal - AD8Q