Distorted SSB TX audio - Did you fix it?

VK5IR

Distorted SSB TX audio - Did you fix it?

Post by VK5IR »

Hi

For anyone who has actually *tried* it, can you confirm whether re-flashing the bootloader actually fixed the distorted SSB audio fault?

Thanks.
la1tpa

Re: Distorted SSB TX audio - Did you fix it?

Post by la1tpa »

I have reflashed the bootloader twice, but still get terrible modulation reports.

73! Mads, la1tpa
VK5IR

Post by VK5IR »

la1tpa wrote: 30 Sep 2023, 20:37 I have reflashed the bootloader twice, but still get terrible modulation reports.

73! Mads, la1tpa
That's rather unfortunate.

Thanks
VK5IR
gatorjj

Post by gatorjj »

I had some issues with SSB in the field, but never at home. It turned out to be RFI, which a choke on the feedline seems to have solved.

J.J. KF4VE
la1tpa

Post by la1tpa »

gatorjj wrote: 01 Oct 2023, 11:43 I had some issues with SSB in the field, but never at home. It turned out to be RFI, which a choke on the feedline seems to have solved.

J.J. KF4VE
That could also be the problem in my case. I have only used the rig in portable situations with a short feedline. Will test with an rf choke next time and report back.

73! Mads, la1tpa
gatorjj

Post by gatorjj »

It took a very long time to figure it out as it seemed intermittent until I decided to really focus on finding the problem. i.e. sometimes it seemed fine, sometimes I'd have issues in the field and come home to troubleshoot the radio and find no problems. Turns out 40m was fine, 20m and higher were being affected.

I had a choke I could insert at either end of the feedline, but it didn't seem to help much with the EFHW. After doing some reading online I played around with the choke at different distances from the UNUN and putting it at 4 feet away seems to have solved not only the SSB issue but even the weird noises I was having on receive (after transmitting). I probably need to get out a few more times before I'm 100% confident all is good now but I've done 3 POTA activations since and it was a completely different experience.

And luckily for me some guy was recording his activation on YouTube last time I was out, so you can hear that it sounds fine on 20m now 8-) https://youtu.be/-tfMvHd2Fhw?feature=shared&t=1453

J.J. KF4VE
Tony F

Post by Tony F »

I re flashed the BOOTLOADER and the FIRMWARE three times and the distorted tx'ed audio remains. Truly a let down. :(
dg8ek

Post by dg8ek »

Hi all,

I'm having the same issue. I reflashed the firmware several times and I tested an external mic. Sounds similar to the internal mic. So I assume that the internal mic isn't damaged.
Any suggestions how to fix it?

dg8ek
dg8ek

Post by dg8ek »

A few more tests.
I've added a 1:1 trafo to the external mic connector and injected a signal from the PC. I did this to check if the quality of the audio depends on the level.
What i saw is that the level is not realy important. It works in a realy wide area in the same way.
I also removed the RF-board and add a small wire to the Drive-pin. A transceiver close to the usdx was used as a monitor. Same result.
Conclusion: The distorted audio depends wether on the audio level neither th RF-board.
Any ideas

dg8ek
DL2MAN

Post by DL2MAN »

dg8ek wrote: 06 Oct 2023, 00:13 Conclusion: The distorted audio depends wether on the audio level neither th RF-board.
Any ideas

dg8ek
I did not come to the same conclusion, when I did my tests.
Distorted Audio was extremely dependent of input level.
Once you exeed a certain level you can see all kinds of bad behavior from mirroring etc.
Fun to watch also audio frequency dependency in the output spectrum.
You can almost paint pictures in a waterfall with that.
Tony F

Post by Tony F »

I flashed in the Bootloader and re installed the firmware, Still has BROADBANDED audio. I re-flashed again the Bootloader and Firmware….still BROADBANDED audio. DL2MAN's uTube video stating to re install the Bootloader and firmware to correct the distorted (broadbanded) TX'ed audio does not work for my (tr)uSDX. The display board production date is Rev 1.2 - April 2023. The RF board production date is Rev 1.0 – Nov 2021.

Looks like this is an ongoing issue with many others.
Any other suggestions to narrow the TX audio from ~ 8 kHz to ~2.4 kHz or so?
pe1nnz

Post by pe1nnz »

Things that might help:
- Reset with factory settings might help (hold encoder button on power up),
- not overdriving the audio input (999 not visible in display when mostly modulating.
- reduce drive setting
- use a narrow filter setting

But the real question here is what you mean with "BROADBANDED".. Bandwidth is generally measured within -3dB points.. so what do you see?

if you see with the -3dB points signal with 8kHz bandwidth then something is seriously off. If it's something like the 3dB bandwidth is 2.4kHz but i see artifacts of -50dB or more within 8kHz then yes this is normal behavior and this is not considered as broadband tx as the side-products are well suppressed.
DL2MAN

Post by DL2MAN »

Just an addition:
When we were in Belgium, there was an OM who told us, that our modulation would sound distorted. He explained in great detail with terms, that sounded familiar to me from youtube/facebook/forum-comments.... So we listened to ourselves via web-SDR, and agreed (Guido, David and myself), that´s just how (tr)uSDX sounds. If you´re not affected with splatter in spectrum, you´re experiencing (tr)uSDX´s Sound. Remember: It´s all digitally generated. In this Video @22:14 your hear Guido´s explaination of why (tr)uSDX sounds different: https://youtu.be/Ze4jYq4KLsc?t=1334 Latest Beta Firmware has an modulation indicator: If you see 999 while speaking, you´re overloading the audio and should move further away from mic and/or talk less loud.

So we need to set the expectations right before considering a fault.

73 Manuel; DL2MAN
la1tpa

Post by la1tpa »

la1tpa wrote: 30 Sep 2023, 20:37 I have reflashed the bootloader twice, but still get terrible modulation reports.

73! Mads, la1tpa
It seems like FW Beta 2.00v might have solved my problem. The new over modulation indicator certenly helps a lot.

73! Mads, la1tpa
DL1DBY

Post by DL1DBY »

DL2MAN wrote: 12 Oct 2023, 07:56 Just an addition:
When we were in Belgium, there was an OM who told us, that our modulation would sound distorted. He explained in great detail with terms, that sounded familiar to me from youtube/facebook/forum-comments.... So we listened to ourselves via web-SDR, and agreed (Guido, David and myself), that´s just how (tr)uSDX sounds. If you´re not affected with splatter in spectrum, you´re experiencing (tr)uSDX´s Sound. Remember: It´s all digitally generated. In this Video @22:14 your hear Guido´s explaination of why (tr)uSDX sounds different: https://youtu.be/Ze4jYq4KLsc?t=1334 Latest Beta Firmware has an modulation indicator: If you see 999 while speaking, you´re overloading the audio and should move further away from mic and/or talk less loud.

So we need to set the expectations right before considering a fault.

73 Manuel; DL2MAN
Once when using the (tr)uSDX in the field in SSB mode, a fellow ham living nearby who was listening to my signal via ground wave contacted me and advised my to stop transmitting because of "distorted audio". I then asked all contacts on that day on 40m and 20m how my signal sounded. They all told me the signal quality was "normal". With the noise from the transmission path added, the digital artefacts seem to disappear in the noise.

Of course, when I was home again, I checked whether I had an unusual wide signal, which wasn't the case.

vy 73 Dieter DL1DBY
Kd4zly

Post by Kd4zly »

Hey guys. Ok so on my 2 days of trying to figure out the "distorted modulation" and testing with a friend 1300 miles away, one a mile away and my wife saying audio audio in the back yard lmao I came to the conclusion that if I lower the Tx drive to 2 for regular use, the audio cleans up to almost perfect and 3 and 4 for long distant contacts. But just like Manuel mentioned, the little radio have his own distinctive sound. My trusdx sounds best on 2. Also make sure you put the radio right on frequency. sometimes we think we are but we are not. Just my two cents Cheers! 73's