Reflashing the FW fails

Wolf OE7FTJ

Reflashing the FW fails

Post by Wolf OE7FTJ »

Hello All!
I wanted to flash my (tr)uSDX (purchased from the certified dealer) with the latest firmware from DL2MAN website without the call sign. When I purchased the (tr)uSDX 2 years ago, updating the FW worked flawlessly. Unfortunately, the device is no longer recognized by the software (AVRDUDESS 2.14) on the Notebook (WIN11). The drivers are installed.
After pressing the button 'program start' the HW reboots and in the terminal window appears:
'stk500_recv() programmer is not responding'
'stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync'
'arduino_read_sig_bytes() protocol error'
'error reading signature data "ATmega328P" '
'stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x00'

I tried out several USB datacables and all are very short (20-50cm). The device manager shows me the correct port number. But everytime I get the same errors. Something will be recognized at the COM port, but it seems to me the (tr)uSDX is not responding properly.
For flashing, the radio is powered through the USB port only.

What is going wrong here? Thanks for any hints.

73 Wolf, oe7ftj
dl6sez

Re: Reflashing the FW fails

Post by dl6sez »

Hello Wolf,

this problem could be Windose 11 related, i hate this shit OS because so many things don't work right as they did before with 10.
If you are not sure you have taken the right Com port have a look at "Gerätemanager" and look when you plug in your (tr)uSDX there must be another Com port popping up.
Maybe the bootloader needs to be renewed (ISP programming necessary) because of the very old version you have.

73 de Chris
Chris DL6SEZ, JN48XL near Ulm, Southern Germany
Wolf OE7FTJ

Post by Wolf OE7FTJ »

Hi Chris!

The Device Manager (Gerätemanager) tells me the correct COM port. I did crosschecking with plug_off_plug_on and the different reaction in the terminal window of AVRDUDESS showed me that I have the correct port open. According to the error messages in the terminal window (see my initial post) I believe the ATmega328P in the radio itself is not answering.
Is it possible to 'kill' it during flashing or an thoughless operation?

WIN11 is what it is and what I have ;-)

The renewal of the bootloader is maybe beyond my skills - after looking into Manuels manual.

Wolf
Wolf OE7FTJ

Post by Wolf OE7FTJ »

Hi!

I found a 'Arduino Pro Micro' as a leftover from a previous project and took this as a ISP-programmer. Upload the ISP sketch, connecting and setting up AVRDUDESS according to DL2MAN website.
Unfortunately mostly similar errors in the terminal window:
'sync error', 'programmer not ready' etc .....

Now my skills in microprocessor programming and tracking down the issues are ending :-(

Wolf
Wolf OE7FTJ

Post by Wolf OE7FTJ »

Unfortunately no further response from the 'Gurus' :-(

Wolf
Constrainted

Post by Constrainted »

My Win11 stopped recognizing the truSDX usb port as a serial port today, "USB device not recognized." Different from your case. Neither a driver upgrade to DriverVer = 01/18/2022, 3.7.2022.01, nor a driver rollback to DriverVer = 08/08/2014, 3.4.2014.08, fixed the issue. It did work for many months.

73 Constrainted
Constrainted

Post by Constrainted »

My case was a USB cable problem. Ugh. But easy to fix in my case.

73 Constrainted
Wolf OE7FTJ

Post by Wolf OE7FTJ »

All used USB cables are max 20-50cm long as well as dedicated data cables.

Wolf