Disconnected C7 on Main Board

VA3RTG

Disconnected C7 on Main Board

Post by VA3RTG »

Hello Everyone!
I have extremely low receive sensitivity on my recently-assembled High-Band kit. After carefully checking all of my work (unable to find errors), I examined the surface mount components and noticed the C7 on the main board is NOT connected as shown in the image. NewDIYTech hasn't been of much help so far (I asked them to check if their other boards have that situation). I also have a Low-Band kit (unassembled) and C7 IS connected. Looking at the schematic
( https://dl2man.de/wp-content/uploads/20 ... _v1.0m.pdf , page 2, sampling detector section in the center),
it seems to be very RF related.
Could anyone tell me if C7 (on the main board, high-band rig) should be connected? I'm hoping that is my problem with the very low sensitivity situation.
Thanks in advance!
Rob
Attachments
VA3RTG C7.jpg
VA3RTG C7.jpg (78.52 KiB) Viewed 724 times
DL2MAN

Re: Disconnected C7 on Main Board

Post by DL2MAN »

Hi Rob,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
This most likely IS the reason for low (if not none) sensitivity, as all RX Signals Run over C7.
If it´s disconnected, there is no RX.
This is absolutely not, how it should look like. I will contact Sunny immediately.

73 Manuel; DL2MAN
DL2MAN

Post by DL2MAN »

Update:
I´ve borrowed your pic and posted it also in the facebook group, so affected people can check and report if neccessary.
I´m trying to figure out if you´re the only one, or if a whole batch is affected.

73 Manuel; DL2MAN
VA3RTG

Post by VA3RTG »

You're very welcome, and thank you very much for the information Manuel! I'm happy to make a small contribution towards a better product.

I'll try my best surface-mount soldering to connect C7 and report back the results.

By the way, NewDIYTech is much more responsive now, Sunny explained that they had network setup problems. He also indicated that they do not see the C7 disconnect issues on their current inventory examined, so I guess that I was just special that way, a one-off anomaly. Lucky me!

73!
Rob
VA3RTG

Post by VA3RTG »

Just a little update. After soldering C7 such that it's connected in the circuit as designed, the receive works much better now!! That was obviously the problem with my particular unit and was an easy fix.