Which digital setup - USB or audio cables?

KL7MJ

Which digital setup - USB or audio cables?

Post by KL7MJ »

Which method of connecting a (tr)usdx to the computer for digital modes is better?

I like the simplicity of the USB cable, but I am still struggling to get the audio to work (probably a me/cable issue). Audio cables into a digirig is reliable (I already use a digirig on another rig, so I would just have to get/make new cables.

Does the USB setup demand more of the rig than audio cables? I've read that some operators see gaps in reception using the USB setup possible caused by demand on the microprocessor. If so, I'm thinking that the digirig solution might be the best option for me.

Mike, KL7MJ
gatorjj

Re: Which digital setup - USB or audio cables?

Post by gatorjj »

I have a $10 soundcard and a couple cables I use with my laptop just fine in the field. The laptop I have is cheap and doesn't have enough processor to handle the USB audio through the (tr)usdx app (it chops in and out) but works great with the audio cables. I did get the USB audio working fine on my home PC with a much bigger processor, so either option will get you where you want to go depending on what you have to work with.

Since you will want the USB data cable anyway for CAT control, you can always start with that and try to make it work. If it works, great! If it doesn't, use the digirig.

J.J. KF4VE
KG7YSX

Post by KG7YSX »

gatorjj wrote: 10 Jan 2024, 00:08 The laptop I have is cheap and doesn't have enough processor to handle the USB audio through the (tr)usdx app (it chops in and out)

J.J. KF4VE
I found a fix for the choppy audio! Set your poll interval to 30 seconds. Default on JS8Call is 1 second.
KL7MJ

Post by KL7MJ »

Thanks J.J., I'll give it a try.

Mike, KL7Mj
KG7YSX

Post by KG7YSX »

Did it work?