~12.XX Watts Output - 9.9 SWR

K4JVV

~12.XX Watts Output - 9.9 SWR

Post by K4JVV »

I built the kit from Amazon, flashed with the latest firmware, and it does work. However, transmitting CW into a dummy load the radio shows to be outputting ~12.XX watts with a SWR of 9.9 on all bands.

The radio is outputting. When listening with a SDR I do hear a CW tone, but get vary garbled unintelligible audio transmitting SSB using the on-board mic.
K4JVV

Re: ~12.XX Watts Output - 9.9 SWR

Post by K4JVV »

Seems the response to everything on here is to re-do those toroids or you're not competent enough to build the kit.

I've redone those toroids 4 times, both 3:21 and 1:7 on T2 and always get 12.XXw and 9.9 SWR. Redid the SMA connector as well. Checked every solder joint on the RF board. Still no luck. Saw a review on Amazon saying the ATMEGA was cold soldered on someone else's main board so I reflowed that too. The watts dropped to around 8w, but still @ 9.9 SWR.
Karavan

Post by Karavan »

There was such a problem. The transceiver showed an output power of ~12W until it died. I decided to replace all BS170 transistors with high-quality ones.
K4JVV

Post by K4JVV »

I'll give that a shot. I ordered another kit from the eBay vendor. Also ordered the parts to connect to my Nano VNA to test. I got perfect teardrops of solder on all toroids now and the wraps are right. I have noticed the more I test it the power the output power seems to go so maybe that's the trick. Maybe I just got a lemon, IDK.
s57l

Post by s57l »

If it happens on all the bands, probably your transformers are wound wrongly. Maybe post some closeup pictures?
Or your sma/coax/adapter has some issue.
Did you measure the power any other way?
Are you using dummyload or antenna for testing?
73 janko s57l