Feedback thread for Firmware 2.00v/w/x BETA

calinb

Re: Feedback thread for Firmware 2.00v/w/x BETA

Post by calinb »

Chip wrote: 07 Nov 2023, 16:10 Great to hear that it worked. Im pretty new to this radio and surprisingly still haven't blown my finals because I use no sort of tuner.
Compared to my PreppComm QRP CW rigs, I've actually found the (tr)uSDX finals to be quite robust and much easier to repair than the PreppComm radios where "blown finals" means replacing much more than the three FETs (which are also SMD in the PreppComm)! (Thank you Manuel and Guido!)

My QRP rigs are usually connected to an antenna with better than 2:1 SWR but I still use my Antuner AT100M to bring the SWR down to 1:1 and I monitor the power output. I often run at 6-1/2W at 13.8v after tuning SWR down to 1:1 or very close to it.

I'm on 2.00x now and it's working well but I still can't find a way to adjust JS8Call audio output to an optimum level (a bit below peak power output) without using an external power meter. The 2.00u release notes say Add experimental Power meter during TX but it's never worked for me and others with whom I've digi-chatted on JS8 and I think it should be a high FW priority. I'm running CAT/CAT PTT and analog audio cables and the (tr)uSDX power / efficiency / SWR feature does not display anything unless I switch to CW mode and push the PTT button, which doesn't help me set audio levels.

So that's my 2.00/v/w/x BETA feedback including, again, I think my new rule is to always do the "factory reset" after flashing the FW as you described, Chip. Except for maybe the CW messages, it's easy to restore menu settings like RShunt, LPFConfig, Ref Freq., etc,--certainly easier than restoring FETs--especially if they are not socketed.

Cal -- AD8Q
IN3VXH

Post by IN3VXH »

The new firmware "X" is on with no troubles.
I mainly operate in CW and all looks fine.
Something I miss is the ATT function I always used in order to help the AGC.
The same AGC that, in my opinion, is working strange. Sometimes when switched off, the sensitivity of the receiver decreases considerably.
Thanks for your work guys. I really appreciate the effort that you put into this project.
73 de IN3VXH Luca
w0anm

Post by w0anm »

I am not sure if this is the best place to ask this question, but it's part of the BETA release features.

Is there any information on setting up a single USB cable control (cat/audio) on a Linux system. Are the any special tricks/drivers needed like Windows?

Thanks in advance,

Chris, w0anm
calinb

Post by calinb »

w0anm wrote: 22 Nov 2023, 15:43 I am not sure if this is the best place to ask this question, but it's part of the BETA release features.

Is there any information on setting up a single USB cable control (cat/audio) on a Linux system. Are the any special tricks/drivers needed like Windows?

Thanks in advance,

Chris, w0anm
Yes--the streaming CAT feature is beta feature, but I've never been able to get it to work so I use a USB cable for CAT and PTT and a digirig for audio. The Linux howto is in the README.md here:
https://github.com/threeme3/trusdx-audio

If you can get it to work, I'd sure appreciate the details of your success, Chris!

Cal -- AD8Q
KL7MJ

Post by KL7MJ »

I just built my trusdx this weekend, and loaded the beta firmware (I figured that I might as well load the latest).
Anyway, the only time the SWR meter is displayed is when I transmit in CW using the straight key setting. When I use the iambic setting, or USB that area of the display is blank.
Is that normal behavior, a beta firmware issue, or something peculiar to my rig?
Thanks.

Mike, KL7MJ

(I originally posted this in the Troubleshooting section, but I think it belongs here)
calinb

Post by calinb »

KL7MJ wrote: 29 Nov 2023, 01:28 I just built my trusdx this weekend, and loaded the beta firmware (I figured that I might as well load the latest).
Anyway, the only time the SWR meter is displayed is when I transmit in CW using the straight key setting. When I use the iambic setting, or USB that area of the display is blank.
Is that normal behavior, a beta firmware issue, or something peculiar to my rig?
Thanks.

Mike, KL7MJ

(I originally posted this in the Troubleshooting section, but I think it belongs here)
You're not able to see transmit power level either, right Mike? Personally, I miss the power display more than SWR, because I need to monitor power to optimally set my digital mode audio levels.

Cal -- AD8Q
KL7MJ

Post by KL7MJ »

Cal,
Exactly - I only see transmit info displayed if I'm in CW/Straight key. If the stable software has that information, I will be reverting to it. The waterfall display is nice, but I really need to know my SWR when transmitting.
Thanks.

Mike, KL7MJ
dl6sez

Post by dl6sez »

Hello Guys,

simple use SWR and tune the antenna in CW...
It is not really a tough thing to switch modes and press ptt.... isn't it?

73 de Chris
Chris DL6SEZ, JN48XL near Ulm, Southern Germany
KL7MJ

Post by KL7MJ »

Chris,
I agree it isn't a huge pain, but if the tradeoff (among other things) is displaying SWR when I transmit or the waterfall, I'll go with the SWR meter.
I'm still getting to know my trusdx, so I like having the feedback when I'm transmitting!

Mike, KL7MJ (DA1ME a long time ago)
KL7MJ

Post by KL7MJ »

My mistake, I thought that the SWR display was different in the stable release, but since it's not, I'm going back to the beta version. I like the new features!

Mike, KL7MJ
calinb

Post by calinb »

dl6sez wrote: 05 Dec 2023, 16:42 Hello Guys,

simple use SWR and tune the antenna in CW...
It is not really a tough thing to switch modes and press ptt.... isn't it?

73 de Chris
Tuning SWR is not the problem, Chris. However, it is impossible to optimally adjust digi mode audio input levels without a power meter and the CW power readings are of no use! I guess I could use my Nano SA as a field strength meter as a substitute, but I don't understand why this feature cannot be included in the (tr)uSDX. Who wants to carry additional equipment around just to avoid making spectral splatter?

It is also generally advisable to not run audio input levels high enough to engage any ALC action.

The idea is to back-off from max power output a bit by reducing the audio level input in order to optimize signal spectral purity (reduce "splatter"). The fldigi user manual discusses the technique as do many other digi mode references.

Cal -- AD8Q
KL7MJ

Post by KL7MJ »

I've also discovered that I don't need to change from iambic to straight key mode - I just send a series of dashes and the (tr)usdx automatically switches to send a solid tone and displays the SWR!
kdphil

Post by kdphil »

I am running the 2.00x FW. I am trying to do CAT control and audio through the analog audio jacks. I noticed that when I issue the Test CAT command from WSJTX the analog audio jacks get switched off. This completely eliminates the possibility of running in this mode.

I tried the Audio through USB following all the instructions, but without success so far. I wanted to fall back to the known working version of using analog audio through a DigiRig to the PC, but it appears I can no longer do that.

Am I missing something in the configuration?
Constrainted

Post by Constrainted »

kdphil wrote: 28 Jan 2024, 18:03 I tried the Audio through USB following all the instructions, but without success so far. I wanted to fall back to the known working version of using analog audio through a DigiRig to the PC, but it appears I can no longer do that.
I have not had repeatable success with CAT + Audio, but I have played around alot.

Maybe check UA0, UA1, UA2 in the CAT extensions: https://dl2man.de/5-trusdx-details/ . I used flrig to send these commands. I have been able to go back and forth between USB and back to audio cables on FW 2.00x. Let us know what you find out.

73 Constrainted
kdphil

Post by kdphil »

I tried the UA0; command from Flrig. I saw the UA0 reply, but the Audio was not re-enabled.
AA3K

Post by AA3K »

Found a bug with CW memory display. If you go from a memory with a long message to one with a short message, the last several characters of the long message are not deleted. Those characters are not sent thought.
Mark - AA3K
WallK

Post by WallK »

I really miss ATT options
I often use truSDX as a CW trainer or keyer and muting all the received noise was very nice
How could I replicate it with latest firmware?
Thanks
AC8L

Post by AC8L »

Hi,

Happy to report that after 6 weeks of experimenting finally got a stable and robust working CAT/audio over USB with FT8CN (tested at least 4 hours of non-stop usage).

Recipie:
1. Firmware 2.00x;
2. Factory reset;
3. Restore Ref freq;
4. Turn Semi QSK Off!
5. FT8CN ver 0.92.
6. OTG Cable: https://a.co/d/1kRtWFL
7. Samsung S21 Ultra Android Phone, Android 13.

Sardar (AC8L).
k0tbs

Re: Feedback thread for Firmware 2.00v/w BETA

Post by k0tbs »

ok1if wrote: 20 Oct 2023, 07:35 Thanks for the firmware upgrade. Most of the new features are beneficial. Perhaps it still bothers me that the spectroscope cannot be switched on permanently for band monitoring. Also, please turn off the CW decoder. Anyone who knows CW is extremely annoyed by this. I can declare that my brain is a far better decoder than any HI automaton. Milan OK1IF
That may be, but for us just learning, it's great to have a device that we can practice code on, then hook up an antenna, turn on the TX output and make our first contacts. If you don't need the decode, you just have to not look at the screen?
DJ5NF

Post by DJ5NF »

AC8L wrote: 18 Feb 2024, 07:37 Hi,

Happy to report that after 6 weeks of experimenting finally got a stable and robust working CAT/audio over USB with FT8CN (tested at least 4 hours of non-stop usage).

Recipie:
1. Firmware 2.00x;
2. Factory reset;
3. Restore Ref freq;
4. Turn Semi QSK Off!
5. FT8CN ver 0.92.
6. OTG Cable: https://a.co/d/1kRtWFL
7. Samsung S21 Ultra Android Phone, Android 13.

Sardar (AC8L).
Great! That sounds good. Would you like to briefly share your FT8CN settings?

Vy 73 Martin
ercinfend

Post by ercinfend »

Hi, thanks for all the work and effort to update this firmware. On 2.00x I lose my callsign from the main screen after exiting the menu. Also, when I switch to CW mode the PTT gets stuck.

Best, Felipe
CD3CFN