updating firmware using Mac mini - M1

VE6GL

updating firmware using Mac mini - M1

Post by VE6GL »

I have been trying to upload new firmware using my Mac mini with the M1 chip. It seems that the directions on this site only work with Mac Silicon Chips.
Can any one provide guidance?
wi7s

Re: updating firmware using Mac mini - M1

Post by wi7s »

You could try using the avrdude from the command line directly (without using avrdudess). I do not have a mac mini to test this on but I update the firmware in Debian Linux using avrdude. After downloading the firmware HEX file (let's say the name of the file is myfile.hex. Then I open a terminal window, change the current working directory to wherever I downloaded the HEX file. Then enter the command:

avrdude -c arduino -p m328p -P /dev/ttyUSB0 -b 115200 -U flash:w:"myfile.hex":a

You might have to change the device name of the serial port to whatever the Mac uses, I think you can find them with the command

ls /dev/cu*

I saw somewhere that the usb to serial adapters are named /dev/cu.usbserial, but this might only work for the FTDI chip based ones.

So the command would become

avrdude -c arduino -p m328p -P /dev/cu.usbserial -b 115200 -U flash:w:"myfile.hex":a

Whether the Mac OS has the CH340 drivers installed by default, I do not know.

I hope this helps!

73 ilkka wi7s
blackeagletalon

Re: updating firmware using Mac mini - M1

Post by blackeagletalon »

WI7S,
Your instructions worked perfectly for me on my MacBook Pro M2 machine!
I had to install Homebrew, the Xcode command line tools and simply plug in my radio to the USB. Once that was done, then I had no issues simply running the avrdude command and it just worked!

Thanks too much!

Neil
KF4YBY