Enamelled wire diameter?

aloha

Enamelled wire diameter?

Post by aloha »

Hi,
At present, I don't have 0.4mm enamelled wire on hand, only 0.5mm enamelled wire (diameter of bare copper wire, excluding paint film thickness). Will the use of this 0.5mm enamelled wire affect the parameters or turns?

thank you.
va3rr

Re: Enamelled wire diameter?

Post by va3rr »

As long as you can wind the 0.5mm wire as tightly as the 0.4mm wire, you should see little or no difference in inductance.

However, because Q=X/R, you will likely see a small bump in Q, which isn't a bad thing, IMHO...

Edit: My apologies for imprecise English. Higher Q is desirable in most tuned circuits.
Last edited by va3rr on 21 Jan 2022, 12:43, edited 1 time in total.
Slava Ukraini!
aloha

Post by aloha »

Dear VA3RR, Thank you for your answer, because I am a beginner and lack of RF knowledge. You mean that 0.5mm copper wire is feasible as long as it can be wound on t50-2 and ft37-43 magnetic rings. Is that what you mean? As for Q = x / R, I don't understand. R is a DC resistance. The thicker the copper wire, the smaller the resistance, the greater the Q value and the higher the efficiency. Isn't that good? thank you.
dl8bag

Post by dl8bag »

Yes, exaxtly.
Vy 73
Rolf
mm0gyx

Post by mm0gyx »

aloha wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 03:44 Dear VA3RR, Thank you for your answer, because I am a beginner and lack of RF knowledge. You mean that 0.5mm copper wire is feasible as long as it can be wound on t50-2 and ft37-43 magnetic rings. Is that what you mean? As for Q = x / R, I don't understand. R is a DC resistance. The thicker the copper wire, the smaller the resistance, the greater the Q value and the higher the efficiency. Isn't that good? thank you.
Yeah, that’s what va3rr said. It’s really the greater surface area that counts because at hf frequency skin effect occurs in conductors, but as surface area is proportional to thickness you are right, the thicker it is the lower the resistance and the higher the q.

Ian MM0GYX
aloha

Post by aloha »

Thank you for your pointers, I will use the 0.5mm copper wire I currently have on hand, thank you :-)