Resonance on ground frequency, but not overtone

SM6MOJ

Resonance on ground frequency, but not overtone

Post by SM6MOJ »

Something is wierd with my present build. I can easily get a dip on each ground frequency, but not on the overtones. I had to go down to 4 turns on L21 to get a tiny dip at 14 / 28 MHz. This can not be right. I then get 3.9 W on my N7DDC ATU, but the OLED display shows 7.9W.
I have carefully rewound T1 and T2. Should I rewind L15?
dl6sez

Re: Resonance on ground frequency, but not overtone

Post by dl6sez »

Hello OM,

L21 is never on any band config in 20m lpf!!! Maybe you have LO band than it's L11 and L12
I don't understand what you have done :(
You first have to match second harmonic dip with L12 for example, than don't touch it any more,
only change L11. This is for all class-E lpf, first the Lx2 for 2. harmonic dip than Lx1 for power.
That's all to do.
Please don't touch RF blocking coil L15, this makes no sense!
When you measure with your At100 are you sure it is measuring right?
Maybe you did a wrong config or Winding on the binocular toroid?
This could also be the case at T1 and T2. => wrong transformation leads to too high/low power.
Triple check this.

73 de Chris
Chris DL6SEZ, JN48XL near Ulm, Southern Germany
SM6MOJ

Post by SM6MOJ »

I built one (tr)uSDX with components from Aliexpress and it worked perfectly. About 5W on all bands. The RF board I am working on now came from eBay.com.
There are some capacitors missing from the board, but the equivalent capacitors are also missing from the first board and it worked OK.
L12 was cut down to only 4 turns in order to obtain a weak dip at 26 MHz. After tweaking L11, I get very uneven power output. Sometims 5W, at times 12 or up to 20W. I may even have blown my ATU.
This can not be right.
vk2tty

Post by vk2tty »

dl6sez wrote: 11 Aug 2023, 19:58 Please don't touch RF blocking coil L15, this makes no sense!
Adding this to my tuning instructions; thanks DL6SEZ!

I've already done my LX1 pi filter coils so now it's time for my LX2 serial resonance coils, which somehow I'd missed in the dozen times I'd listened to DL2MAN's tuning video.

Note for anyone finding this post by a search: the X in LX1 is your band slot. We're actually talking about L11, L21, L31, L41, and L51. Similarly, LX2 is one of L12, L22, L32, L42, and L52.
SM6MOJ wrote: 12 Aug 2023, 10:29 After tweaking L11, I get very uneven power output. Sometims 5W, at times 12 or up to 20W. I may even have blown my ATU. This can not be right.
Your pictures don't work any more, SM6MOJ. How'd all this turn out, anyhow?