FT8 experiments

N1CJ

FT8 experiments

Post by N1CJ »

Hello everybody. It's story time! I've been experimenting with FT8 using the(tr)uSDX recently. Good news is the latest beta version of FT8CN supports audio over USB for those of us using Guido's beta firmware. I must say, I have been thoroughly impressed by what this little rig can do. I have the classic bands version.

My ultimate goal is to do as much as possible with as little as possible. Today, I decided to hook up my phone to the trusdx and only power it off the phone's USB port. Then I connected a CB antenna for a handy talkie. The antenna is a coil about 12 inches long. The USB cable is about 3 feet long. My SWR showed around 1.7 on 28.070 (it was 9.99 without the phone and USB cable, and with my 6ft cable, so the USB cable is acting as a counterpoise).

I hear FT8 coming in on 10 meters, so I start the app and see I'm receiving stations in Tennessee and the surrounding areas. I'm in California. We're talking about 1,500 to 2,000 miles (2,300 to 3,000 km?) away. So of course I start transmitting CQ. I'm only powering this off the phone USB port, so I'm putting out about half a Watt. On a severely compromised antenna. Sitting at my desk, inside my house. I expect nobody will hear me.

I let it run for a minute then check PSK Reporter. I was immediately heard in the same area. Tennessee, Georgia, etc. I let it run a little longer, and I get more eastern states. For kicks, I turn on my 12v power and let it run for a while. Now I'm getting more east coast states as well as Canada and Alaska. At least on PSK Reporter. I didn't get any responses on FT8. I'm not trying to test my luck, so after 10 minutes I shut off my 12v power, but I keep running it from my phone power. I listen for a while, then I call CQ and try to answer some stations. Still no responses.

I'm about ready to shut it down. I've been watching some other stations calling CQ and answering other people. They specifically can't hear me. It's been more than 20 minutes, and I'm supposed to be working. Then it happens. FT8CN responds to a cq, and the station responds back. 0.5watts on a 12 inch CB antenna, and I get Utah, a 1,400 mile contact. The highlight of my day. So yeah, this works, and it works well. Thanks for producing a wonderful product, Manuel and Guido. And thanks to the FT8CN devs for supporting this radio and it's new features.
73 - N1CJ
N1CJ

Re: FT8 experiments

Post by N1CJ »

FYI, the new version of FT8CN (v0.91) has been released and includes audio over USB support for the (tr)uSDX. In case anyone is interested.

https://github.com/N0BOY/FT8CN/releases
73 - N1CJ
Karavan

Re: FT8 experiments

Post by Karavan »

It's like a miracle and magic)
Recently I have been doing radio communication, but I was very surprised to hear the negotiations of movers at the airport, located 120 km away, on VHF, lying at home on the couch)