Canada Group Buy - Quote 1 - Elecrow - VA7RTL

VE7DNT

Re: Canada Group Buy - Quote 1 - Elecrow - VA7RTL

Post by VE7DNT »

VA7RTL wrote: 24 Jan 2022, 16:09 Commercial 3D printers in Canada charge a minimum of $50 setup fee/case; 8-10 hours printing time/case, and the cost of materials. This makes the cost of a case of at least $75/case excluding taxes and shipping.
Yikes! That's a big chunk of coin for a FDM printed case, and as someone with a 3D printer (so I know whats involved) I would say that's a very large mark up. Sure for one or two cases, yes, but once you have the settings dialed, reprinting the same file over and over is very simple.

Either way, I'm still interested if there is a "caseless" purchase option.

Maybe I should look into printing ASA or PETG cases....
dmarriott

Post by dmarriott »

I have contacted a local 3D printing company with whom I have done some business (very little, but enough) and I am expecting a return call to discuss the costing out of a case. The only files for the case I can find online are the Prusa files - if there is another file somewhere please let me know - thanks. Anyways, if the information I get is positive, I’ll let this group know.
Finally, thanks for hanging in there Roy - your perseverance is admirable.
VA3OSO

Post by VA3OSO »

How about an option to buy with no case? I can't spend that much money on the case when I have my own 3d printer.
dmarriott

Post by dmarriott »

Hello Roy,
The printer I talk with is interested in making a quote on the enclosure. Could you please supply the enclosure CAD files you are using for quotes, so that I may share it with the printer. I have sent the same request to your gmail address as well.
Additionally - there are several different designs online in pictorial format for the various stages of the uSDX. One Prusa file has no speaker grille for example. Consequently, to be accurate, any printer would require “the” file to provide a quote. Thanks.
Dan VE7CTN
VE3RRD

Post by VE3RRD »

The STL files for the (tr)uSDX enclosure are from Manuel DL2MAN and are located at
https://www.prusaprinters.org/prints/10 ... ransceiver

More info might be found on his webpage https://dl2man.de/
dmarriott

Post by dmarriott »

Thank you Roy.
I’ll get back to you once the printer has responded. This may take a few days. But, I will reply with an answer.
Dan Marriott
ve3sif

Post by ve3sif »

Please remove me from the list. Thank you for all the hard work. 73 Ron
AIMER

Post by AIMER »

VA3OSO wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 06:03 How about an option to buy with no case? I can't spend that much money on the case when I have my own 3d printer.
I would also like this option, same reason.
Donald

Post by Donald »

I already had a case printed by a buddy of mine so all I need is all the guts Roy. Thanks for all your work organizing the group buy order. Don
DL2MAN

Post by DL2MAN »

Well here in Germany we helped each other.... If one of you has a printer, why not provide that service for the group ?
In my case, I charged 15€ per case. Noone willing to take over that part in Canada ?

Here´s an insight in my little basement factory:

73 Manuel DL2MAN
Faraaz VK4JJ

Post by Faraaz VK4JJ »

Same in Australia. A kind ham provided some cases for filament cost only.
dmarriott

Post by dmarriott »

I have a quote for the 3D printed case for the (tr)uSDX.
The 8 piece case (which includes the knob) would cost $53.92 per case - not including taxes. The cost of the knob ($3.79) could be subtracted for those who do not need it.
The down side to all this is the length of time to print: about 31 days to print 25 sets; 56 days for 50 sets. The first three sets would take a week.
This company is located in the Vancouver area.
This is probably the best I can do; but it also isn’t going to satisfy the needs of this group.
I am going to re-iterate to Roy previous requests to sell the kit without an enclosure. And, let individuals decide about their own case for the uSDX. Roy has made the 3D file available through a previous posting, so each member of this group could choose what to do based on their needs or capabilities on printing cases.
Sorry Roy I couldn’t be of more assistance.
Over to you.
Dan
VA7RGM

Post by VA7RGM »

If possible I would like to change my order to boards only. I can obtain printed cases from a friend of mine.

Thanks
Bob
VA7RGM
DL2MAN

Post by DL2MAN »

Just to pour some printing facts in this discussion:
Printing Time @0,15mm Layer Height for the complete housing takes around 6 hours.
It uses around 45g of Filament (abt 1,60€ worth of Premium PETG Filament).
And it´s true: For 50 Housings, it takes about 300 hours of Printing Time + Handling Time (Printer cooling down, cleaning, starting new print), so let´s add 10 Minutes per print to that. This adds another 8 hours.
Then I sort out around 20% of the Prints, because of discoloration, that cannot be sold as perfect....
That´s already 370 Net hours, you keep you and/or the printer busy.... If you would be there 24/7... But we have lifes to live, so if you´re really good, you can keep it busy for 18 hours per day....
So 50 housings would take you busy MINIMUM full 20 Days....

73 Manuel; DL2MAN
WE0H

Post by WE0H »

Please cancel my order of two kits. I got in on a EU purchase.

tnx,
Mike
WE0H
VE3RRD

Post by VE3RRD »

The Canada Group Buy is for those with a mailing address in Canada.
Last edited by VE3RRD on 27 Feb 2022, 15:33, edited 2 times in total.
VA3OSO

Post by VA3OSO »

Thank you for accommodating the no case option. I would offer to print cases for some folks but I have issues at the moment printing PETG.
W4OP

Post by W4OP »

May I still get in on this buy? Looking for assembled board only- no case. I am in North Carolina.
Thank you for your consideration,
Dale W4OP
VA3OSO

Post by VA3OSO »

Thank you but please remove me from this group buy list. I have purchased the kit from eBay.

Carson
VA3OSO
W4OP

Post by W4OP »

W4OP wrote: 18 Feb 2022, 03:41 May I still get in on this buy? Looking for assembled board only- no case. I am in North Carolina.
Thank you for your consideration,
Dale W4OP
Group- take me out of consideration- found one.
Dale
ve6raw

Post by ve6raw »

Notice I am down for 2, I meant to be down for one.

Pricing on case seems high, I will drop down to 1 unit no case. I have a printer at home.

VE6RAW - Reilly
VE6RAW - Reilly
VE3RRD

Post by VE3RRD »

The Canada Group Buy is for those with a mailing address in Canada.

The latest Canada Group Buy list is attached for 27 February 2022

The group buy is delayed while Elecrow waits to obtain the LT6231 chips (there is no workable substitute). Many people have decided to purchase from AliExpress or other approved source instead.

Total transceiver orders = 82, total enclosure orders = 70
Canada Group Buy 2022-02-27.zip
(93.96 KiB) Downloaded 149 times
ve2rn

Post by ve2rn »

I am interested in one kit without case.
Sylvain Naud
VE2RN
Rouyn-Noranda
Qc, J0Z 1K0
VE2RN@snaud.ca

Thanks for your efforts.
Sylvain Naud
VE2RN
VE3 VWG

Post by VE3 VWG »

I was very excited to find out that a(tr)uSDX was available to purchase on line. I went on Aliexpress web site and purchased a completed version of the (tr)uSDX including shipping to Canada for $172.61CDN. Now I find out that Aliexpress has not record of my transaction but has debited my credit card for $172.61. Visa can do nothing because I did not receive and order number or confirmation code. Aliexpress do not answer emails or Facebook messages and have no customer contact number. I have contacted Visa Fraud department to no avail! Watch out for scammers. This has certainly tainted my experience with the (tr)uSDX. I am cancelling my Canadian order and spending my money elsewhere. VE3 VWG
VE3RRD

Post by VE3RRD »

Sorry to hear of your problem Bert. I created an account with AliExpress and have ordered several items from them. I receive a payment confirmation email from them within hours after ordering something.
I have also ordered the (tr)uSDX kit (without case) from them on February 19th and they indicate it should arrive by March 16th. Right now tracking says it has left China.
Did you try their Help Center link https://sale.aliexpress.com/i18n_help_center.htm
You may have to contact the "seller" of the truSDX on AliExpress (possibly "Up Tech Store"?).

73, AL - VE3RRD (in Barrie)