Can I build a classic bands radio with a low band kit?

KL7MJ

Can I build a classic bands radio with a low band kit?

Post by KL7MJ »

I just bought a (tr)usdx kit from Amazon (Mahalit). It is a low bands kit. Can I build it as a classic bands rig by building the filters based on the requirements for the classic bands, or do I need to buy a different kit?

Mike, KL7MJ
DL2MAN

Re: Can I build a classic bands radio with a low band kit?

Post by DL2MAN »

Yes, you can make your Low Bands RF PCB into Classic Bands if (!!!) you replace all the capacitors and wind the toroids accordingly. It can be done. In fact, that´s how I evaluated it, before we made it available as Kit.
It requires, that you have all the needed capacitors in NP0 Quality, rated for 100V and also the other FET and some other Toroids. If you have that anyway, then there´s no problem.
Usually it´s way simpler and cheaper to just buy another classic Bands RF Board Kit.

73 Manuel; DL2MAN
KL7MJ

Post by KL7MJ »

Thanks Manuel!
After looking at the size of the capacitors, I decided to buy another radio with the classic board.
You can't have too many radios, can you?

Mike, KL7MJ
Ohwenzelph

Post by Ohwenzelph »

Or
You could just buy the rf board for a classic bands kit, which is cheaper than a whole new kit, and be able to switch the rf boards. This would require redoing the settings in soft ware each time you switch them to match the current rf board. Two radios is easier, trade off between cost and hassle.