Replacing L78L05 voltage regulator by a DC-DC converter

Websurfman

Replacing L78L05 voltage regulator by a DC-DC converter

Post by Websurfman »

Replacing L78L05 voltage regulator bij a DC-DC step down convertor

The L78L05 voltage regulator of my (tr)USDX became irratic causing a high level of noise during reception.
The failure of the stabilizer was probaly caused bij a too high voltage (16V), during a long time on the main power supply input, heating the analog device to its extreme.

I did not have the tools to remove the defective device and replace it by an equivalent type.
Instead i replaced it by a very small powerfull high frequency (500kHz) DC-DC converter.

I removed the L78L05 with a small diamont drill bit, sticked the DC-converter with a piece of nano tape onto the mainboard and wired it to the respective contact pads on the board.

I had some doubts wheter or not the DC-converter would induce a high level of noise/spurious , but luckly no sign of it!
Noise floor during reception with dummy load antenna connected remained almost the same!

The bonus is that current drawn during reception from 12V input is more than halved!

73 de PA0HSP

DC-DC converter.jpg
DC-DC converter.jpg (90.47 KiB) Viewed 866 times
n4rg

Re: Replacing L78L05 voltage regulator by a DC-DC converter

Post by n4rg »

More info on the Dc-DC converter please.

Herb
Websurfman

Post by Websurfman »

The mini DC-DC converter I purchased is LAOMAO brand.
Simular, probably exact the same you can get at Amazon.com:
https://www.amazon.com/Regulator-Voltag ... 74Z6F&th=1

73 de Coen, PA0HSP
Websurfman

Post by Websurfman »

Warning ! ! ! ! ! Do not use nano tape on electronic circuit boards! I have used it on several electronic circuit boards but discovered shortly that it develops an extremely aggressive kind of acid in combination with moisture !
I removed the nano tape I used as described above from the (tr)USDX board and used hot glue instead to fix the DC-DC converter.

73 de PA0HSP