Header pin replacement

VA3SPN

Header pin replacement

Post by VA3SPN »

I am looking for a source where I can buy a replacement rf board header pin (female side).

When I was assembling my high bands kit, I managed to not pay attention to how I had everything oriented, and soldered the header to the wrong side of the board. It unfortunately didn't survive the removal process, and I need to replace it to get this radio up and running.

I have looked around locally and online and everything I have found so far have a metal "collar" below the plastic of the header pin set, and keeps the two boards separated too much to fit into the case.

Thanks in advance
KL7MJ

Re: Header pin replacement

Post by KL7MJ »

I bought a block of break-away headers at Microcenter. Would this work?

https://www.microcenter.com/product/427 ... t,-10-pack

Mike, KL7MJ
calinb

Post by calinb »

VA3SPN wrote: 06 Dec 2023, 01:30 I am looking for a source where I can buy a replacement rf board header pin (female side).

When I was assembling my high bands kit, I managed to not pay attention to how I had everything oriented, ...
<snip>

I have looked around locally and online and everything I have found so far have a metal "collar" below the plastic of the header pin set, and keeps the two boards separated too much to fit into the case.
I made a similar error. I spent hours looking online for pins that would preserve the spacing of the boards. Often without engineering diagrams, I ordered some pins from Ebay and Aliexpress too. None of them had the correct dimensions. I finally modified some pin assemblies to preserve the spacing, but my pins (boards) are no longer compatible with the standard bands boards header. See my posts here and good luck. Please us know if you find the correct pins and where to get them.

https://forum.dl2man.de/viewtopic.php?p=6880#p6880

Cal -- AD8Q
vk2tty

Post by vk2tty »

calinb wrote: 13 Dec 2023, 23:03 Please us know if you find the correct pins and where to get them.
I just noticed my NanoVNA test board (AliExpress) came with a stackable version of the same headers! Someone asked on their forums what they were, with answers suggesting keywords “Swiss Male Pin Header” and “40pin round row seat”. The Amazon and eBay links I tried were stale, but I bet the search terms will help next time I try to track these down.

I quite like DG8SAQ's test kit now I've read the linked PDFs describing the kit and its tutorial. I think I'll use it to help me tune my filters and measure my output power.
vk2tty wrote: 12 Dec 2023, 10:40 Reckon I'll need to learn how to measure output power with an oscilloscope.
vk2tty

Post by vk2tty »

vk2tty wrote: 14 Dec 2023, 03:31 I bet the search terms will help next time I try to track these down.
I swear, I've now taught the search engines what I want and they're surfacing it easier every time. This time, it's like it's taunting me for not finding anything earlier.

Break Away Female Headers - Swiss Machine Pin at SparkFun is not quite what we need—see the 3mm of wide pin underneath—but the clue helps.
pins.png
pins.png (15.52 KiB) Viewed 325 times
4UCON on the data sheet leads me to Do you know the history of why Machined PCB headers (pin or socket) got the name "Swiss"? on Reddit, which leads me to Tayda and Samtec.

Samtec leads me to threads on these forums! Hard to find 3.5mm high female 2.54mm 14 pin connector and non group buy (independent) builders. Both those have more clues.