No receive at all

AA3K

No receive at all

Post by AA3K »

Finally built my (tr)uSDX which I am hoping to take on an overseas trip in February 2024. (Yes, I am cutting it close.) Figured out how to load the bootloader and software using the latest version of AVRDUDESS as its version has increased since the instructions were written and options have changed. All looked good until I connected an antenna. With the latest official firmware as well as beta firmware I get absolutely no receive on any band. Even going to FT8 frequencies I only hear what sounds like dead band background noise.

Double checking soldering and touching up a few solder joints made no difference. I can hear the LPF relays clicking so the RF board is getting power and data commands.

I'm starting to suspect the mixer chip.

I want to inject a signal source and trace the signal through as best I can. What level should I use at the SMA connector and at the main board input from the RF board? I'll have to separate the two boards to get to the main board components which is why I'm asking for a level there.

Note that my surface mount soldering skills are not the best and I not only had to solder U1 but also U9 to the board. Repeated inspection shows them to be good. But....

Also want to add that during transmit into a dummy load, the (tr)uSDX says it is producing no power and SWR is 9.99. But first things first, lets get through receive.
Mark - AA3K
Chip

Re: No receive at all

Post by Chip »

I have had a similar issue and It ended up being my antenna connection being improperly soldered. You can check if the main board work by disconnecting the rf board and then touching a wire antenna to the rf pin. You should hear the noise floor increase and some sort of ft8 signal if tuned in.
AA3K

Post by AA3K »

Chip wrote: 22 Jan 2024, 15:51 I have had a similar issue and It ended up being my antenna connection being improperly soldered. You can check if the main board work by disconnecting the rf board and then touching a wire antenna to the rf pin. You should hear the noise floor increase and some sort of ft8 signal if tuned in.
Thank you Chip, that's easy enough to try.

I did check and hit the SMA connector with my soldering iron a second time as well as check continuity to T1 which was good. But the dark art of RF knows no bounds!
Mark - AA3K
AA3K

Post by AA3K »

Chip,

Nothing! Leads me to believe the problem is in the digital board.
Mark - AA3K