I broke my(tr)USDX! No RX or TX

M0ICR

I broke my(tr)USDX! No RX or TX

Post by M0ICR »

After much success operating my (tr)USDX in SSB and CW modes I decided it was time to box it up and was pleased that the 3D printed case arrived this morning.

Unfortunately I quick realised that I had a problem. When I built the radio I accidentally soldering a turned pin header socket rather tahn a normal square socket SIL. No problem I thought, I'll just use a turned (round)pin header on the opposite board ... and all was well.

But ... the space between the was too big, by about 2-3mm, which I didn't realise until the case arrived. So, reluctantly I replaced both the round header and pin combinations with the correct supplied header and socket.

That job to replace the socket and header was a not easy but I managed it with some solder wick and a big dollop of patience. However, the radio now does not TX or RX - wondering if I have damaged something but no obvious signs of damage.

- The radio turns on and the OLED displays all info correctly, encoder and all button work.
- on TX the OLED reads 0.00W on all bands, the same on my dummy load/QRP power meter.
- on no RX there are no signals received (including from my sig gen) but there is static/white noise.
- band change relays work
- there is continuity between pins on the header and socket PCBs

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks Carl M0ICR
Joe

Re: I broke my(tr)USDX! No RX or TX

Post by Joe »

You may have damaged the tracks, but you have continuity?. Too much "Heat" got to something?.
I may have "smoked" mine and it was working well before I tried to"improve" it. :oops:
Joe G4VDX
DL2MAN

Post by DL2MAN »

Hi Carl,

my buest shot would be:
Bad connection on RF Pin (Inter PCB).
GND, SCL,SDA and VCC seem to work, as your Relays are switching.
But one ore more of the following pins do not have good contact:
RF
DRIVE
FWD
RVS

If you fix this connection, it should work again, I think.

73 Manuel; DL2MAN
M0ICR

Post by M0ICR »

Thank you Manuel.

I checked all the PCB interconnects and also checked from each pin and socket to ensure contonuit on both board and found no issues.

I notice that U2 is getting very hot.

When I TX into a dummy load I get an OLED readout of 1.5W (at 12V) but an SWR of 9.99. That said, I cannot see my signal on my Icom HF radio or my QRP wattmeter. Also, on RX I cannot detect a signal from by Sig Gen. Could the 5351 be fauly or perhaps another SMD? I wonder if someting got damaged when I was replacing the inter-pcb connector.

NO RX at all but the sidetone works.

73, Carl
DL2MAN

Post by DL2MAN »

How much current does your rig draw ?
U2 is the 7805. It should not get "hot".
Maybe one of your BS170´s is through.... Do they or one of them get warm ?
You can check if Si5351 is working by measuring the CLK Signals with oscilloscope.

There can always be some defective semiconductor caused by ESD...

73 Manuel; DL2MAN