PL/EU Group Buy - SN3AK - I (completed) II (full)

yo8rcd

Re: PL/EU Group Buy - SN3AK - I (completed) II (full)

Post by yo8rcd »

Congratulations, Jean-Marie!
73!
Costin, YO8RCD
on7en

Post by on7en »

I have another problem no reception.

It is not clear for me if i have to solder a jumper on jp7.

I think yes otherwise U9 has no power.

I just dont see witch side i need to solder

73 jean marie
DO1KKA

Post by DO1KKA »

Hi Adam,

I received the kit 2 days ago. Thank you very much for your effort!
Unfortunately one of the three black toroids and the three BS170 are missing. Do you maybe have some be left over?

73 DO1KKA Konstantinos
msax

Post by msax »

Hi Adam,

The same thing here. Three BS-170s and one T37-43 are missing. I have spares of those, so that's not a problem.

If you intend to run a third group buy, I recommend creating a loading tray out of two thick pieces of cardboard, one plain on the bottom and the other with holes on the top for each standalone component. Once all of the cutouts have been filled, simply lift the one with openings to load the bag. This is faster and less error-prone than counting each and every item.

73 de Marko, 9a6paf
73 de Marko, 9A6PAF
DJ2FL

Post by DJ2FL »

Hello Adam,

if you intend a 3rd group buy I recommend to order the through hole relays instead the surface mounted type. The way of bending the SMD-Relais, like it is demonstrated in the assembly video by DL2MAN, does not work because the pins are too short or PCB is to thick. As I read the BOM was modified in this point.

T37-43: in one kit there are 2 missing and in the other kit it is 1 - but no problem I ordered them at Reichelt and with the 3 of two kits I can finish one kit. Also missing is one 3,5mm jack in each kit, but no problem I do not plan to use it with an amp, so 2 for each kit is ok for me.

Thank you again for your effort!
sq4nyy

Post by sq4nyy »

Fully agree about the relays.
s57l

Post by s57l »

I must admit i do not understand this fuss about the legs being to short on the relays.
All the holes on a pcb are metallized and it is really easy to solder the relays.
In fact, it is basically impossible to solder the relays without a proper contact, even if the legs are a bit short.
Did anybody ever had a problem of no contact to the relays or is it only a problem of trust or knowledge?
73 janko s57l
SQ2SNG

Post by SQ2SNG »

Hi Adam,
I received a package a few days ago. Everything ok. Thank you very much!
yo8rcd

Post by yo8rcd »

Hi all!

I managed to put the kit into operation and adjust it. It was easy for me to do this following the directions on the site. Thanks, Manuel!
At the moment I have around 5W power, good reception, good efficiency. I'm going to test it in traffic and I can't wait to "fish" in the ether. I certainly didn't take everything out of the transceiver. They are still inconsistent between the displayed and externally measured values.
I changed T2 but returned to the original number of turns. Surely the setting can be improved and I will do it after I get used to it. I am still not sure that I have adjusted the parameters in the correct menu.
Depending on the time, I will post more measurements on my personal website in the coming days.
Thanks again to Adam for his efforts to help radio amateurs across Europe.
Attachments
f
f
p2_7-001.jpg (177.99 KiB) Viewed 7018 times
73!
Costin, YO8RCD
DJ2FL

Post by DJ2FL »

s57l wrote: 28 Jun 2022, 21:05 I must admit i do not understand this fuss about the legs being to short on the relays.
All the holes on a pcb are metallized and it is really easy to solder the relays.
In fact, it is basically impossible to solder the relays without a proper contact, even if the legs are a bit short.
Did anybody ever had a problem of no contact to the relays or is it only a problem of trust or knowledge?
73 janko s57l
Before I mentioned it here I checked if I am the only one having this issue, which would be a hint that I am doing something wrong. But there is a thread in the trouble shooting section of this forum covering this topic. And it is reported that several times bad joints lead to problems with PA Fets. So I Must admit I was off the soldering stuff for more than 15 years and things have changed. But the BOM was changed in this point. In the assembly Video it looked ok to me. But I think it is a matter of little tolerances: in the video the legs were above the surface at least a little, so you could touch them with the soldering iron and heat them up to get a good joint. In my case they were deep inside the hole. Could be the PCB is just a bit thicker or the downside of the relay is a bit thicker and maybe the problem appears only if both tolerances add each other to the disadvantage. So it is possible it is a matter of bad luck. I was thinking about several workarounds, but when I read in the forum that those workarounds caused other issues, I deceived to go with THT Relays. But since I’m a newbie again I am open to learn and improve skills - and I already learned lot‘s of practical things in this project.

So I am absolutely happy with the group buy - it is a group buy and not a companies kit making a living of this business. It‘s the opposite: true ham spirit lots of work from Adam to organize, spend time, paying in advance trusting us to repay and we buyers can get the material cheaper. Would I do it again? Absolutely yes! And I am actually considering joining a 3rd group. But first let the guys join who couldn‘t yet. So i just want to give feedback and not complain. I‘m super thankful and happy.
9A7AM

Post by 9A7AM »

Hi all!

I finished my (tr)uSDX from group II. It works, but it often crashes and reboots when turning rotary encoder for changing frequency or navigating menu.
Does anyone else have this problem?

73 de Ivan, 9A7AM
sv5fri

Post by sv5fri »

Hi to all,

Today receive my kit.

Thanks Adam for the nice job.

I will see you in the group 3
---
73 Yiannis, SV5FRI
https://www.sv5fri.eu
DxCluster: dxc.sv5fri.eu:7300
sq4nyy

Post by sq4nyy »

9A7AM wrote: 29 Jun 2022, 10:16 Hi all!

I finished my (tr)uSDX from group II. It works, but it often crashes and reboots when turning rotary encoder for changing frequency or navigating menu.
Does anyone else have this problem?

73 de Ivan, 9A7AM
Same here, but recently I am lacking time to perform next field tests. I have bad feelings about elements used by Chinese supplier.
ok1bt

Post by ok1bt »

Hi folks,
At the beginning, thank you Adam for your time spending on this group buy!

I recieved two kits. One is already assembled and tested. In each of two kits there is missing single FT37-43 core.
I also manage somehow to burn three mosfets. I think it is not a good idea try to power it on when RF board is connected but without firmware uploaded yet. (Maybe it is noticed somewhere?) No big deal. I will order locally.

For mac/linux guys, there is simple why how to upload firmware without AVRDUDES just by downloading .hex file in to ./Downloads and then:

Code: Select all

cd ./Downloads
avrdude -c arduino -P /dev/tty.wchusbserial1410 -p m328p -b 115200 -U flash:w:OK1BT_truSDX_5458454515154_Firmware.hex
I have same issue with unexpected behaviour when turning knob. Still havent found the source of problem. Sometimes it hangs up for while. Sometimes it starts making a beep noise.

73 de OK1BT
9A7AM

Post by 9A7AM »

I think the problem is related to the encoder and the software that decodes the encoder pulses.
Firmware freezing can also be caused in menu mode when the encoder is turned only to the left (nothing changes in the menu).
I tried replacing the encoder with another one I have, but the problem still persists. Also, I added external pull-up resistors to the encoder lines, but nothing changed.
I don't think this problem can be solved without software debugging.

73 de Ivan, 9A7AM
yo8rcd

Post by yo8rcd »

ok1bt wrote: 01 Jul 2022, 09:29
I have same issue with unexpected behaviour when turning knob. Still havent found the source of problem. Sometimes it hangs up for while. Sometimes it starts making a beep noise.

73 de OK1BT

It happened to me a few times. I had to turn off the power. The tests were done on a linear source, but I will also check on the battery. I blamed it on the encoder, but if you say you replaced it ...
Maybe the sent pulses are faster than the ATMEGA controller can process.
73!
Costin, YO8RCD
9A7AM

Post by 9A7AM »

This problem has already been discussed here but without a solution:

viewtopic.php?t=344

73 de Ivan, 9A7AM
Ohwenzelph

Post by Ohwenzelph »

I don't know if it applies but it might be related: search "Debouncing a Rotary Encoder" at ubitx.net for discussion there that mostly based on discussion at bitx20@groups.io
This is what they did, and with my ubitx it helped:
56780CE0-FE24-4C2D-B8AA-9858355FD564.jpeg
56780CE0-FE24-4C2D-B8AA-9858355FD564.jpeg (30.86 KiB) Viewed 6848 times
Hans Summers did leave a comment that this debouncing is achieved in firmware on the qcx's.
YO4XPF

Post by YO4XPF »

Adam, thank you very much for making this group buy possible, my kit arrived last week and everything is working.

The kit was very easy to build but like the above OMs I've noticed that from time to time the processor would freeze and eventually reboot after several seconds. After several days I've ended up replacing the microcontroller with an ATMEGA328PU and that fixed my problems.

Before you go ahead and try to replace the microcontroller take another look at the guide, if you can check the fuses again and when you write the firmware make sure that you select the correct microcontroller. It's too late for me to test but I'm pretty sure that in AVRDUDESS I've selected ATMEGA328P and my board had ATMEGA328PB installed.

Good luck
CT4AJ

Post by CT4AJ »

Hi !
First of all, thank you Adam for your time spent on this group buy!
Received your package today, but have not checked content.
Hope to build it this weekend.

73's CT4AJ
9A7AM

Post by 9A7AM »

YO4XPF wrote: 01 Jul 2022, 19:37 Adam, thank you very much for making this group buy possible, my kit arrived last week and everything is working.

The kit was very easy to build but like the above OMs I've noticed that from time to time the processor would freeze and eventually reboot after several seconds. After several days I've ended up replacing the microcontroller with an ATMEGA328PU and that fixed my problems.

Before you go ahead and try to replace the microcontroller take another look at the guide, if you can check the fuses again and when you write the firmware make sure that you select the correct microcontroller. It's too late for me to test but I'm pretty sure that in AVRDUDESS I've selected ATMEGA328P and my board had ATMEGA328PB installed.

Good luck
Thank you for this information!
Downloading software via USB with ATMEGA328PB selected does not work. AVRDUDESS recognizes it as ATMEGA328P so I programmed it with -F option but problem still persists.
I will try with ISP programmer next week.

73, Ivan, 9A7AM
sa6cmo

Post by sa6cmo »

Hi Adam,
I have not received any kit from group buy II.
From what I understand it was sent on 6/15/2022.
Seems to me that 14 days from Poland to Sweden is more than expected.

Best regards
Robert - SA6CMO
9A7AM

Post by 9A7AM »

It seems to me that there is a problem with the ATMEGA328PB from group II (maybe a general problem with 328PB chip).
I programmed it from scratch with AVRstudio and JTAGICE3 programmer and all problems related to frequent resets, beeping and buzzing remained unchanged.
Then I replaced the chip with the genuine ATMEGA328P and now everything works great. Even the noise floor of the receiver is noticeably lower.

Thank you YO4XPF!

73 de Ivan, 9A7AM
on7en

Post by on7en »

hi
i have a atmega328p on my badge2 board.

i made a short between RF and FWD. i wanted to connect a wire to the RF pin on the mainboard because receiver was deaf.

now atmega is dead. i tried to reprogram but i receive message unknowed device.

so now waiting to receive my ordered atmega

73 from belgium on7en
on7en

Post by on7en »

Sorry to all

I was in group 1 it was my good friend on6wj who was in group2

73 jean marie