Written assembly instructions

w8du

Written assembly instructions

Post by w8du »

I have transcribed the assembly steps in English from DL2MAN's youtube assembly video.
Enjoy!
73 de Arnie W8DU
tr(uSDX) Assembly
MAIN BOARD:
1. Insert and solder 3.5mm jacks x 3 (PCB side opposite SMD components)
2. Insert and solder pushbuttons x 3 (PCB side OPPOSITE of SMDs, as above)
3. Insert and solder 6-pin ISP connector (SMD side of PCB)
4. Determine negative terminal of microphone
5. Insert and solder microphone on side OPPOSITE of SMDs, observing correct
polarity
6. Prepare OLED - follow mod directions printed on PCB
remove C3 and C4
prepare and solder jumper wire from top of U2 to bottom of C6
7. Use single header pins as spacers under OLED x 2
8. Insert OLED on side OPPOSITE to SMDs and solder pins and spacer pins
9. Insert male header from SMD side of PCB with longer pins protruding up next to
OLED
10. Trim longer pins on top side of PCB next to OLED
11. Insert and solder rotary encoder - make sure completely flush with PCB
12. Trim tab on rotary encoder
RF BOARD:
1. Insert and solder relays x 5
2. Wind toroids according to schematic and BOM
3. T1 and T2 are 7 turns on the secondary, 1 turn on primary
4. Insert and solder PA FETs x 3
5. Insert and solder SMA connector
6. Insert and solder female header to bottom of RF board
7. Place speaker into round retaining ring, noting position of ring pins
8. Position speaker and solder wires to spkr pads
9. Assemble case
10. Apply nut to rotary encoder
11. Use M3 screws to secure case.
12. Put knob onto rotary encoder shaft.
Last edited by w8du on 26 Jul 2022, 12:24, edited 1 time in total.
Faraaz VK4JJ

Re: Written assembly instructions

Post by Faraaz VK4JJ »

Hi Arnie,

Thanks for this. I've just edited your first post with your corrected instructions.
w8du

Post by w8du »

Thank you Faraaj. I have it in pdf but could not figure out how to upload the pdf file.
73 de Arnie W8DU
9a5yy

Post by 9a5yy »

Thanks for instructions. Is there any link with high resolution pictures with (tr)usdx PCBs with all soldered components when you are finished with soldering and with empty PCBs without soldered components you get in kit. These pictures can be used to check if all components are soldered well at PCBs.

73 de Neven, 9A5YY
DL2MAN

Post by DL2MAN »

Thanks for your Wrap up, Arnie.
I´ll make it Sticky, so it doesn´t get lost !

73 Manuel; DL2MAN
va3rr

Post by va3rr »

9a5yy wrote: 17 Mar 2022, 11:06 Is there any link with high resolution pictures with (tr)usdx PCBs with all soldered components when you are finished with soldering and with empty PCBs without soldered components you get in kit.
73 de Neven, 9A5YY
Neven - because of my settings on my browser, I didn't realize that Manuel provides an interactive parts list which you can populate by clicking the part number on the BOM. I didn't realize this facility was available until I opened the page with a different browser.

https://dl2man.de/wp-content/uploads/20 ... m_1.0.html
Slava Ukraini!
9a5yy

Post by 9a5yy »

Hello Russel! Tnx for link. I know that that Manuel provides an interactive parts list which you can populate by clicking the part number on the BOM. Meanwhile I found some pictures of PCBs with soldered all components for additional checking when soldering.

73 de Neven, 9A5YY
John

Post by John »

Thanks for the write-up. There are still a few of us who find it more convenient to glance over at a sheet of instructions than to set a laptop PC beside us on our workbench, so written instructions are handy. At this price point there may even be a few folks around the world who don't even own a PC, and have to borrow access to one to look at the assembly video and download the firmware. A sheet of written instructions would help them considerably.

A couple of comments, (hoping to be helpful, not critical.) In the reference to removing caps it may be a good idea to make EXTRA clear that they are caps on the display board, not on the mother bd, as there are caps on the mother bd with those same component identifiers. Also, it may be worth noting that components should be mounted on the side of the bd that has the component's silkscreen outline.

In my kit there was a toroid winding instruction sheet that also included a big photo of the speaker with a big red '+' and a big red minus by the speaker terminals, but there are no plus or minus on the bd silkscreen at the speaker connections. As near as I can tell there's no reason to indicate polarity for the speaker terminals. But if DL2MAN does have a reason then it should probably be clarified. Otherwise it should be noted that the speaker polarity doesn't matter. Some less expert assemblers may become concerned that such a point was made of the speaker's polarity when no indication of it is actually on the bd silkscreen.

We clearly can't hold everyone's hand during the assembly, but I've worked at Elmering ham club kit builds before, and those things popped out at me as possible points of confusion for the inexperienced, so I thought I should mention them.

John - ad0wo
W8TEE

Post by W8TEE »

Please note that there is a disparity between the windings for T2. These instructions say both are 1:7. However, the schematic says T2 is 3:21. Same ratio, but different counts. I only know enough EE stuff to get into trouble, but I think this does make a difference. Can someone with more knowledge tell me if it does make a difference?

Jack, W8TEE
Ohwenzelph

Post by Ohwenzelph »

Use 3:21 turns for T2, it is a revision that Manuel made, less power loss/heat loss, slightly better efficiency (about 3%).
Jer aa1of

p.s.
When you start to build come to this forum, click on ‘board index’ then ‘troubleshooting’ and read the ‘announcements’, especially ‘problems and known solutions’, easier from the start than as a redo.
Johan PD1JMB

Post by Johan PD1JMB »

John wrote: 22 Mar 2022, 07:06 Thanks for the write-up. There are still a few of us who find it more convenient to glance over at a sheet of instructions than to set a laptop PC beside us on our workbench, so written instructions are handy.
I have to add to this and word it a bit more strongly: The primary form of documentation should be written. I relied on the instructions in this topic and a printed paper with the toroid parameters.
Not the video, I would have to stop it, resume it and skip parts that are about things I already know.

While I am impressed with the technical level of this project the documentation is a bit rough around the edges.
FK8IH

Post by FK8IH »

This is the link for the HF board (https://dl2man.de/wp-content/uploads/20 ... m_1.0.html) and I would like to find the link related to the mainboard.
73 - Pierre - FK8IH
FK8IH

Post by FK8IH »

I found these files in https://dl2man.de/2-trusdx-assembly/ where can be downloaded by clicking on truSDX_Mainboard_1.0.html and truSDX_RF_ibom_1.0.html
Well now I have the main_ibom_1.0 and RF_ibom_1.0
73 - Pierre - FK8IH