(tr)uSDX - Alternative Band Setups available

Murphyv310

Re: (tr)uSDX - Alternative Band Setups available

Post by Murphyv310 »

Hi.
Ive got some success today. On the 80 meter band there was an open circuit cap giving no output, and on 15 one cap was way off value. The caps are Yaego manufacture. Been tweeking coils and small changes to caps and now getting between 65 and 70% on all bands so getting there.
One question, the SWR reading is around 1.25 to 1.5 on all bands into a dummy load and the SWR Bridge needle doesn't move, what would cause the issue and could this give a low efficiency reading as well?
Regards, Trevor. MM0KJJ
agrif

Post by agrif »

Before too much work goes in to fine-tuning these values, would it be possible to re-arrange the filter numbering so that bands shared between configurations use the same spots? Something like this:

Code: Select all

Proposed (!!) Assignment	                K1	K2	K3	K4	K5
Lo (current Standard)	                        20m	30m	40m	60m	80m
Hi (Only Hi Bands)                              20m	10m	12m	15m	17m
Classic (Classical Bands w/o WARC)	        20m	10m	40m	15m	80m
This configuration would make it easier to modify existing RF boards into a new configuration, and I don't see any downside (besides confusion among the few people who have built alternate RF boards so far).

Now would be the time to make the change, as it will only become more confusing as time goes on.
Murphyv310

Post by Murphyv310 »

agrif wrote: 21 Jun 2022, 23:00 Before too much work goes in to fine-tuning these values, would it be possible to re-arrange the filter numbering so that bands shared between configurations use the same spots? Something like this:

This configuration would make it easier to modify existing RF boards into a new configuration, and I don't see any downside (besides confusion among the few people who have built alternate RF boards so far).

Now would be the time to make the change, as it will only become more confusing as time goes on.
I belive the issue is the layout of the board and what bands are selected. The higher the frequency the nearer that band has to be to the SWR transformers and antenna connection to keep trace inductance at a minimum.
Regards, Trevor. MM0KJJ
wa2t

Post by wa2t »

agrif wrote: 21 Jun 2022, 23:00 Before too much work goes in to fine-tuning these values, would it be possible to re-arrange the filter numbering so that bands shared between configurations use the same spots? Something like this:

While I understand the thought behind it, this, IMO, is a horrible idea.

Robert, WA2T
andergrin

Post by andergrin »

Does Beta firmware support alternative band setups? (I only can flash via ISP)
DO1OKE

Post by DO1OKE »

Any idea when the alternative RF boards will be available?
DL2MAN

Post by DL2MAN »

I would have said any day, but Sunny announced she´s going to holidays now. So I assume we will have to wait a few more weeks.

73 Manuel; DL2MAN
w8ijn

Post by w8ijn »

Looking forward to the day when the option board(s) become available. Between mine & Piero Begali’s radios, that’s at least three radios might be “updated.” Such a sweet design.

73 de W8IJN
Nils / W8IJN
BrumasterM01

Post by BrumasterM01 »

W8IJN,

Perhaps that day has arrived.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256804 ... 18020TzSwZ

KA6VPJ
AC9YY

Post by AC9YY »

BrumasterM01 wrote: 25 Aug 2022, 15:19 W8IJN,

Perhaps that day has arrived.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256804 ... 18020TzSwZ

KA6VPJ
That link worked, thanks, I ordered one of each board!

AC9YY
Jim
ve2rn

Post by ve2rn »

Do the boards have been tested and approved ? and what are the performance results? I have ordered boards anyway but if some tests results are available i will be interested
Sylvain Naud
VE2RN
W3SI

Post by W3SI »

I was chatting with Sunny this evening and she sent me the link. I ordered a HI band and Classic band RF boards. I own (5) (tr)uSDX radios and will have one of each variety and an unbuilt LO band as a back-up.
Bill -W3SI
LILO

Post by LILO »

Wow, thanks for the good news. Just ordered Classic board.
KG5QIA-Deillos

Post by KG5QIA-Deillos »

will there be a (tr)uSDX that does 10M, 6M, 2M, 1.25M, & 70cm as i would love to get one that does and has the all modes like the current ones?
LILO

Post by LILO »

Never.
KO4VNX

Post by KO4VNX »

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Okay, as a Technician license, at first, although I LOVE THIS RADIO!!!! I was also a bit sad that I was so limited, but this Alternative Band Setup.... IS GLORIOUS!!! I am so glad your forum is here and that you guys include so much information, and very useful and good information!!! You are running your customer support better than any company I've ever seen in any industry!!! So I thought I wouldn't be able to do 10 Meters, and yet, here I am, with a big grin on my face, doing 10 Meters! Well done!!!
jginaz

Post by jginaz »

I managed to make a FT8 contact on 15 meters from Honolulu Hawaii to Banaba Island (T33T) with the hi band trusdx version and an end fed half wave from my hotel Lanai. Thanks for the great portable design.

Jay KE7OT
bigtruite

Post by bigtruite »

DL2MAN wrote: 20 May 2022, 13:00 I´ve updated my Classic Band Table. I did not change any Values (exept for Typo -initially suggesting to use wrong Toroid Type on 15m), but I changed the measurement results, as I could achieve 80% and more on all Bands by Setting it to PA Bias Max 160. The FDT86256 FET has a higher gate threshold and requires more Bias.
The tested Board also has the T2 Modification (3:21)

Back.JPG

Front.JPG

73 Manuel; DL2MAN
Hello Manuel,

I ordered the classic band and don't know which suggestion is the latest concerning the turns of the toroids. Please also check the schematic for classic bands on your site https://dl2man.de/2-trusdx-assembly/. The schematic seems to be more up to date (2022-06-04) than your post I am referring to. The suggestions for the turns of the toroids are deffering. Which suggestion is the latest for the classic band?

Best regards. Pascal, DO1LZ.
DL2MAN

Post by DL2MAN »

You've answered the question yourself.
The forum post was pre-release. The schematic is newer and contains the latest values.

73 Manuel DL2MAN
LILO

Post by LILO »

DL2MAN wrote: 20 May 2022, 13:00I could achieve 80% and more on all Bands by Setting it to PA Bias Max 160. The FDT86256 FET has a higher gate threshold and requires more Bias.
Just smoked my Lo PA board )) PA bias was set to 160, since last week I was building and tuning Classic board. Today I swapped it back to Lo and forgot to change bias back to 128. Bingo! One of bs170 has magic smoke came out.
Just be aware to check your settings when you swap PA boards))