USBasp loader issues

n7iss

USBasp loader issues

Post by n7iss »

I really appreciate all the help this forum gives.
I gave up using the UNO and bought a USBasp programmer. Took a bot to get the driver configured but have it working. Now I get this:

>>>: avrdude -u -c usbasp -p m8u2 -P usb -b 19200 -B 0.5 -e -U flash:w:"C:\Users\N7ISS\Downloads\truSDX-initial_Bootloader.hex":a -U lfuse:w:0xFF:m -U hfuse:w:0xD6:m -U efuse:w:0xFD:m

avrdude.exe: set SCK frequency to 1500000 Hz
avrdude.exe: error: usbasp_transmit:
avrdude.exe: error: program enable: target doesn't answer. 0
avrdude.exe: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

avrdude.exe done. Thank you.

I have swapped out all cables and even the programmer just to make sure. The I checked the connections with a meter to make sure they were good. I removed the 5v jumper on the programmer and powered the radio with 12vs and then swapped that for 5v on the usb port (not at the same time). Still no change.
Im now at a dead stop. Any help would be great. I have read every post in the forums on the subject but cant find what my next step is.
jeremylaratro

Re: USBasp loader issues

Post by jeremylaratro »

There are a few issues here.
1. You have the MCU set as "-p m8u2" -- set it to "-p m328p"

2. See if you can find the direct address to your port, mine on Windows is this:
usb:bus-0:\\.\libusb0-0001--0x1781-0x0c9f

3. Use the terminal/command prompt instead of avrdude GUI:
Try this command in the command prompt:

avrdude -c usbasp -p m328p -P usb:bus-0:\\.\libusb0-0001--0x1781-0x0c9f -b 19200 -v -e -U flash:w:"InsertYourpathtobootloader":i -U lfuse:w:0xFF:m -U hfuse:w:0xD6:m -U efuse:w:0xFD:m
**May need to find your own port address
KO4DNM
n7iss

Post by n7iss »

Thanks for the fast reply:

I think im down to a syntax error:

When I use this at command prompt,

c:\Users\N7ISS> :avrdude -c usbasp -p m328p -P usb:bus-0:\\.\libusb0-0001--0x1781-0x0c9f -b 19200 -v -e -U flash:w:"C:\Users\N7ISS\Downloads\truSDX-initial_Bootloader.hex":i -U lfuse:w:0xFF:m -U hfuse:w:0xD6:m -U efuse:w:0xFD:m

I just get my prompt back,
c:\Users\N7ISS>

I also checked the address of my asp and its the same as yours:

Any idea what Im doing wrong now.?
And Thank You...
ve2rn

Post by ve2rn »

take a look at this
viewtopic.php?t=226
Sylvain Naud
VE2RN
jeremylaratro

Post by jeremylaratro »

n7iss wrote: 22 Mar 2022, 18:44 Thanks for the fast reply:

I think im down to a syntax error:

When I use this at command prompt,

c:\Users\N7ISS> :avrdude -c usbasp -p m328p -P usb:bus-0:\\.\libusb0-0001--0x1781-0x0c9f -b 19200 -v -e -U flash:w:"C:\Users\N7ISS\Downloads\truSDX-initial_Bootloader.hex":i -U lfuse:w:0xFF:m -U hfuse:w:0xD6:m -U efuse:w:0xFD:m

I just get my prompt back,
c:\Users\N7ISS>

I also checked the address of my asp and its the same as yours:

Any idea what Im doing wrong now.?
And Thank You...
It could be a typo, but I see a ":" in front of avrdude, so if that isnt just a typo definitely remove that.
If that doesnt do anything, then try typing avrdude and pressing enter. If you dont see a response with a list of commands, then you either need to add avrdude to path or execute the command from the folder that has the avrdude files in it.
KO4DNM
n7iss

Post by n7iss »

I have now fixed my syntax issues and have made progress, sort of. I found that the ATmega328 was not listed as a suported chip on my USbasp. I switched back to the arduino. I get good TX and RX lights now but I also get these errors. I also get the exact same errors in the GUI or the terminal..

avrdude -u -c arduino -p m328p -P COM6 -b 19200 -e -U flash:w:"C:\Users\N7ISS\Downloads\truSDX-initial_Bootloader.hex":a -U lfuse:w:0xFF:m -U hfuse:w:0xD6:m -U efuse:w:0xFD:m

avrdude.exe: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.00s

avrdude.exe: Device signature = 0xffffff (probably .reduced_core_tiny) (retrying)

Reading | ################################################## | 100% -0.00s

avrdude.exe: Device signature = 0xffffff (probably .reduced_core_tiny) (retrying)

Reading | ################################################## | 100% -0.00s

avrdude.exe: Device signature = 0xffffff (probably .reduced_core_tiny)
avrdude.exe: Yikes! Invalid device signature.
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

avrdude.exe done. Thank you.
jeremylaratro

Post by jeremylaratro »

Try using this for the port:

usb:bus-0:\\.\libusb0-0001--0x1781-0x0c9f

edit:
I use the usbtiny so I cant say for sure, but the usbasp should work with the atmega. Try using that port address with the usbasp. If that doesnt work, try to see if you can find your specific address for the usbasp.

IME, the reduced_core_tiny message can either mean that the chip really is dead, or that there is a communication error. I wouldn't bet on it being dead just yet.
KO4DNM
ke1g

Post by ke1g »

Just a note, on linux, at least, you need not specify the port for usbasp. arvdude (at least version 6.4) just knows how to find it. It doesn't show up as a serial port for me. So you might try it without the -P and its argument.

Your mileage (kilometer-age, fuel economy?) may vary.