UK GROUP BUY 2- ***looking for leader***

M0VMK

Re: UK GROUP BUY 2- **expressions of interest**

Post by M0VMK »

Hi - removing my initial interest now they are available to buy.

Thanks.

M0VMK wrote: 04 Jan 2022, 19:45 Hi,

I would like to express interest for 2 kits with 2 enclosures.

Thanks,
M0VMK
M0XMT

Post by M0XMT »

ive ordered but will still stay true to this group with my order
mg4991

Post by mg4991 »

I am interested in one as well. A complete kit including the enclosure

Thanks,

G1HYO
scubafrique

Post by scubafrique »

Hi Nir,

Can I suggest that you look into the commercially available kits that is listed on the forum rather than at a Group Buy for the UK?
Nir_4x6fk wrote: 11 Jan 2022, 11:20 Hello,

I'm from ISRAEL, Is it possible to have the full kit with enclosure, from this group?
Thank you
Nir 4X6FK
G4FSX / ZS1FSX
scubafrique

Post by scubafrique »

Hi Stefano,

this is a group buy kit for the UK, can I suggest that you consider a European (thank you Brexit) group, or the now commercially available one listed on the DL2MAN forum?

iw2lmj wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 13:15 Hello to everyone,
I,m really interested in full kit and enclosure
Regards
IW2LMJ Stefano
G4FSX / ZS1FSX
scubafrique

Post by scubafrique »

Done, and please let us here know how it goes.
M0VMK wrote: 13 Jan 2022, 15:59 Hi - removing my initial interest now they are available to buy.

Thanks.

M0VMK wrote: 04 Jan 2022, 19:45 Hi,

I would like to express interest for 2 kits with 2 enclosures.

Thanks,
M0VMK
G4FSX / ZS1FSX
scubafrique

Post by scubafrique »

For those not in the UK who have expressed an interest here's a link to the thread for the commercially available kit:

viewtopic.php?t=62

Theyre making a €30 markup per unit, not too bad I say but apparently they have all the SMD's connected, and apparently have all the parts included to ship worldwide.
So its an option for those interested in not waiting for this group which is estimated at ordering March 2022.

We have 4 units available before we move to the next stage.

I have contacted a 3D printing company that made parts for the movies, the likes of Starwars etc and they'll be providing a cost per printed unit, with the option of having your call sign printed on the face plate too. Quote to follow for those of us with no knowledge and experienc3 of 3d Printing
G4FSX / ZS1FSX
G4MJW

Post by G4MJW »

I am interested in 2 kits
Steve/G4MJW
M0ITN

Post by M0ITN »

I'd like to join the group. Just one kit for me please. M0ITN
G7NQL

Post by G7NQL »

I'd like two kits. One with enclosure.
Would prefer the SMDs pre-mounted, as I haven't done any SMD for quite a while

What's the situation on parts etc?
Thanks,
G7NQL
scubafrique

Post by scubafrique »

Ok Guys that’s 50 kits requested between 39 people. 11 of us ordering 2 kits.

Please check to see if I’ve misinterpreted anything but I think we’re pretty much there.

M0WID has stated that he’s willing to let someone else have his Unit and I don’t have a Call sign for “Peter” so maybe room for another 2 buyers.

Guys moving into the next step :-

Finding the Group Buyer.
G4FSX / ZS1FSX
scubafrique

Post by scubafrique »

ENCLOSURES:

I dont have access to nor own a 3D printer but in my network came across someone who prints £D Movie Props commercially and they're going to send me a quote for the Enclosures -if this interests you please let me know?

Also if youve a colour preference (obviously a unified colour option would benefit from a cost point) But theres also the opportunity to have your call sign printed on the unit as well if anyones interested? or even if its allowed?

Once they've comeback to me I'll feed back prices here, but at this stage trying to establish the level of interest.

PS I am not the Organiser and I do not have the necessary experience or skill set to be the organiser, Im merely a coordinator / facilitator / motivator
G4FSX / ZS1FSX
Faraaz VK4JJ

Post by Faraaz VK4JJ »

Guys,

This is not a group buy thread. It is a thread full of people saying 'I want', but no-one willing to offer to put themselves forward and donate a little time and energy to drive it forward.

If I, a critical care doctor in the middle of a COVID pandemic, can organise a group buy, you reading this certainly can find the time to do it. It requires zero skill. Just motivation.

So come on, pull the proverbial finger out and someone come forward, take ownership and get this started.
M7HMR

Post by M7HMR »

scubafrique,

Good day mate..... with all due respect, you did a lot of efforts for this group hence I am humbly suggesting you to continue your dedication to serve us all as our "Group Buyer".

I fully understand that... as you said, you're not an organizer but we can all successfully implement this tiny buying project if we will help each other by giving you a suggestions.

Suggestion examples:
0. Maybe we can ask other groups who did it before, on how can we go on about it (short cut approach) but if not,
1. mybe we should know how to coordinate with PCB manufacturer with respect to secured payment via paypal etc - you might have an idea about it.
2. One important thing is where are we going to pay for the kit(s)? Might be utilizing a centralized account that we can use to deposit our payments like paypal etc - this is to pay PCB manufacturer in one go.
3. Collecting each and everyone's UK mailing address so that once PCB arrived in our country (UK of course), we can easily dispatch it via UK wide Royal Mail delivery service.... and the list goes on and on....
That is just my tiny idea from my tiny curly brain.

Now for example. If I am the "Group Buyer", I cannot do it by myself because I also work like everybody else to feed my family and maintain roof on top of my coconut shell head. What I am saying is, that you can dedicate some of the loads to us so that you can do other matters just to make this tiny project a successful one.

Who knows, we might be having another type of this group buying in the near future of/for our hobby - at least we can use our group buying experience in the future just in case it will happen now.

Yes you're "just" a coordinator or facilitator but you did motivate me and other fellow HAMs out there to experience a sort of semi technical project that involves soldering, schematic diagram reading etc etc - very important as an amateur radio operator (not always buying ready to eat meals.... let's cook/do
some soldering sometimes).

Your dedication to serve and motivate us all is so wonderful therefore, please accept my humble suggestion for you to become our "Group Buyer". - thank you in advance best friend.

And I am willing to be one of your helper - just please let me know the task.

William - M7HMR/2E0HMR for UK call
and 4F1HMR for my Philippine call sign
Promoting HAM Radio Worldwide:
https://www.qrz.com/db/4F1HMR
and International PGGHe Safety:
PGGHe Safety Instructor - 4F1HMR
https://pgghe.microtron.net/

BTW scubafrique, what is your call sign?
G7NQL

Post by G7NQL »

@Faraaz et al
I thought this was a group buy. Are there any notes or a guide on how to run one (I could work it out, but if the works has been done already, no point re-inventing the wheel). List of suppliers etc.

I'll reach out to Ian MM0GYX to see how far he has got and what the situation on availability of components etc.

G7NQL
Last edited by G7NQL on 31 Jan 2022, 13:58, edited 1 time in total.
G7NQL

Post by G7NQL »

@MM0GYX,
I can't send DM/PM yet, don't have enough posts.
but I've found your email address. Message inbound.
M7HMR

Post by M7HMR »

G7NQL,

You said: """but if the works has been done already, no point re-inventing the wheel)."""

Exactly mate!... That's what I called "short cut approach" that i did say a while ago!

"""Suggestion examples:
0. Maybe we can ask other groups who did it before, on how can we go on about it (short cut approach) but if not,"""

Cheers G7NQL matey and thanks in advance for contacting Ian MM0GYX about this matter.
Now we're starting to be in business fellas.

BTW scubafrique, what is your call sign?
G7NQL

Post by G7NQL »

No point popping the champagne corks yet. I want to check the viability of this and make sure we can get all the bits in a reasonable timeframe or at least set people's expectations. Money will be involved, so it needs to be right.
M7HMR

Post by M7HMR »

G7NQL

Of course totally no point and just a waste of corks.... as I said, we're just starting to be in business. We're not even in a sort of first stage yet. Looking forward for your efforts my friend.

And you better save that corks for a while mate. ;-)

Faraaz VK4JJ

Post by Faraaz VK4JJ »

M7HMR wrote: 31 Jan 2022, 13:48 Now for example. If I am the "Group Buyer", I cannot do it by myself because I also work like everybody else to feed my family and maintain roof on top of my coconut shell head.
With respect, this is the same excuse that gets trotted out and is the paralysis for action. We all have commitments. Most of us work. A gentle reminder that Manuel and Guido designed, developed and prototyped the trusdx with full-time jobs, families and other commitments etc.
G7NQL wrote: 31 Jan 2022, 13:53 @Faraaz et al
I thought this was a group buy. Are there any notes or a guide on how to run one (I could work it out, but if the works has been done already, no point re-inventing the wheel). List of suppliers etc.

I'll reach out to Ian MM0GYX to see how far he has got and what the situation on availability of components etc.

G7NQL
As it stands, this is not a group buy. A group buy requires a lead. This thread is just an eight-page list of people saying ''I want". And it will stay like that until someone takes the plunge and steps forward to actually....do a group buy.

Your first starting point is page one of the dl2man.de website: I have linked this for your convenience. https://dl2man.de/1-trusdx-group-buy/

As you have said, there is no point reinventing the wheel. The hard miles have already been done by the first group buy organisers. Manuel has given you a complete list of parts to buy on that page. We have found alternative suppliers with approved parts for things like the speakers, the female headers (believe me when I say, this required a heck of a lot of work and ordering test parts and having them shipped all around the world).

There is the closed Group Buy Organisers forum where you can get help.

I can walk you through my noddy's guide to actually organising it all - using Google Sheets, Google Forms and some mail-merge addon for Thunderbird.

Honestly, a group buy has got to the stage where in an afternoon you can have everything purchased. Few clicks on mouser, LCSC, JLPCB, Aliexpress. Yes, some inguenity and patience may be required when looking for alternate ICs - but I guarantee you''ll learn something in the process. If you can plan and book a holiday, you can organise a group buy.

The Germans are organising their FOURTH!!!!!!! group buy!
DL2MAN

Post by DL2MAN »

Guys, your excuses are so funny to read.... seriously....

If I would have acted like you, I would still ask myself if I should
- Modify a QCX into QCX SSB ?
- learn how to do PCB Design ?
- buy measurement equipment ?
- publish anything as a newbie ?
- start experimenting with more efficient class E ?
- really ignore, I was told that Multiband Class E cannot be done ?
I could continue this list forever.....

Stop making excuses and just Do it, friends.... You´re grown men !

73 Manuel; DL2MAN
G7NQL

Post by G7NQL »

Thanks for your comprehensive reply Faraaz.
I normally leave the holiday arrangements to my lady wife :D

I have benefitted from GB organised by other people, I've been building audio gear mainly. So it's my turn to do the organising this time. I'm going for it.

Giving back something to the designers
I'd also like to build in £2 each for the designers (Guido, PE1NNZ and Manuel, DL2MAN) who have put so much of their time and effort.

Target
The target is 50 kits.

I'll start a GB thread later.
Faraaz VK4JJ

Post by Faraaz VK4JJ »

G7NQL wrote: 31 Jan 2022, 23:28 Thanks for your comprehensive reply Faraaz.
I normally leave the holiday arrangements to my lady wife :D

I have benefitted from GB organised by other people, I've been building audio gear mainly. So it's my turn to do the organising this time. I'm going for it.

Giving back something to the designers
I'd also like to build in £2 each for the designers (Guido, PE1NNZ and Manuel, DL2MAN) who have put so much of their time and effort.

Target
The target is 50 kits.

I'll start a GB thread later.
Excellent. You'll be fine.

We'll be here to help you out.

No need to start another thread - you can continue it on from here. We will mark you as a group buy organiser and put your name in the title.
M7HMR

Re: UK GROUP BUY 2- G7NQL

Post by M7HMR »

Good day again G7NQL,

Very good my friend - thank you. I think we're getting near in popping your champagne corks :)
As I said on my first message "And I am willing to be one of your helper - just please let me know the task."
I am always here to help if needed.

Papa_Whisky

Re: UK GROUP BUY 2- G7NQL

Post by Papa_Whisky »

Many thanks G7NQL for volunteering as the organiser.

I hope there won't be too many smd parts.

M7PWA now 2E0PWV