US Buy 1 - WildMCQ-***FULL***

n7iss

US Buy 1 - WildMCQ-***FULL***

Post by n7iss »

I have been working with the info on how to do a buy and it seems like I have it figured out. I think I will buy 25 sets. I am not interested in just being a kit supplier. I would like some other people to help source a few of the parts we will need. For instance someone could handle the 3d printing and maybe someone could get the rf connectors speaker and so on. Are there any people interested in this approach. I can put the sets together unless someone wants to do that part. Any interest in this approach? Please DO NOT send me a message telling me you want to buy a kit. I am looking for a few people who want to be a part of getting some of these radios out there...
Rob.

---MOD EDIT---

FULL - NOT ACCEPTING NEW ORDERS
DL2MAN

Re: US Buy

Post by DL2MAN »

Thank you so much for throwing your hat in the ring. Let me know if I can help you !

73 Manuel; DL2MAN
andee32

Post by andee32 »

Do you have the list of folks that signed up for the group buy? Let me know if you need help I'm willing to jump in and help.

Andy
Dave.KE8PXV

Post by Dave.KE8PXV »

I would like to help.
Mitch will be missed, no doubt about it. I'm not sure what to make of the fact that his original list included over 100 people and now picking up this project and moving forward is looking difficult. So, the demand is there for a kit but the interest is only in placing an order?
Obviously Mitch had big shoes. Let me know what I can do.
If the place to start is an email to everyone on Mitch's list I can give that a go.
Dave KE8PXV
KD8CGH

Post by KD8CGH »

I would like a kit and would like to help. I can do some 3D printing.
Bob KD8CGH
andee32

Post by andee32 »

what do you think about setting up a zoom to discuss how we want to go about getting this going?
kj7zmp

Post by kj7zmp »

I am also interested in a kit.
lscalpati@gmail.com

Post by lscalpati@gmail.com »

I was on the original list and would like to sign up for 2 kits
KI5FTY
lscalpati@gmail.com

Post by lscalpati@gmail.com »

and I am glad to help sourcing parts
WildMcQ

Post by WildMcQ »

I'd be very interested in participating and would happily lend print time! I'd be interested in 2-3 kits!
USMCSS

Post by USMCSS »

I can help with 3 D Printing. Let me know.
NT1K

Post by NT1K »

Somewhat willing to throw my hat in the ring. I design and fabricate sheet metal enclosures for a living. I am willing to design a sheet metal enclosure and keeping up with it being open source, I'm more than willing to release blueprints and flat patterns for all to use. Of course I'll need a couple units (that I'll pay for).

That way if someone wants to use a local or online fabrication service instead of 3D printing, they'll have everything they need that would avoid a lot of CAD/Engineering time.

However, I don't want to be involved with fabrication and distribution. At this moment in my life, I just don't have the time to deal with long lead times and the tedious logistics involved with tracking everyone and their shipments.
TU, 73' DE NT1K - JEFF :D
Ward K7PO

Post by Ward K7PO »

I'm in. Willing to source parts, etc. Whatever will help the project.

Ward K7PO
DL2MAN

Post by DL2MAN »

NT1K wrote: 03 Jan 2022, 19:55 Somewhat willing to throw my hat in the ring. I design and fabricate sheet metal enclosures for a living. I am willing to design a sheet metal enclosure and keeping up with it being open source, I'm more than willing to release blueprints and flat patterns for all to use.
The license for my published enclosure is a little bit more open (CC-BY-SA) compared to the license of the Schematic, PCBs and SOftware (CC-BY ND)
This was done for a reason: Sou you can design different housings.
So I´m happy to supply you with the Step-File of the (tr)uSDX, so you can design your own housing around it.

73 Manuel; DL2MAN
Wb8yxf

Post by Wb8yxf »

I was in the original list, backed out, (still on the list that was passed around after Mitch became a SK, God rest his soul), but willing to get another kit. Not sure what I can do, as I do not have the time to order things etc. I'm also now 70 though my Church keeps me busy and occupied. (lots of excuses)

thought I'd chime in and say I would still take 1 kit................
NT1K

Post by NT1K »

DL2MAN wrote: 03 Jan 2022, 21:12
NT1K wrote: 03 Jan 2022, 19:55 Somewhat willing to throw my hat in the ring. I design and fabricate sheet metal enclosures for a living. I am willing to design a sheet metal enclosure and keeping up with it being open source, I'm more than willing to release blueprints and flat patterns for all to use.
The license for my published enclosure is a little bit more open (CC-BY-SA) compared to the license of the Schematic, PCBs and SOftware (CC-BY ND)
This was done for a reason: Sou you can design different housings.
So I´m happy to supply you with the Step-File of the (tr)uSDX, so you can design your own housing around it.

73 Manuel; DL2MAN
I realize (just a few moments ago ) that the licensing can be a touchy subject about this project and by no means was I implying anything. I'm new to both forums and to this particular radio and I am not only interested in purchasing/building this unit but I would also like to help out. Only way I can help out is by designing a metal case for this project.

Step file would be a nice start. I'll send you an e-mail8

My concern is non-commercial. So I would be going after CC-BY-NC-SA. I'll release .step (.stp) of the assembly (not including your step), .dxf and .dwg of the flats and pdf prints with both SAE/Metric dims. Right now I am looking at 5052 1.5mm (0.060" or 16ga) aluminum

That way anyone could take it to a fab shop and avoid a lot of the up front costs. I'll even attempt to provide various cases to be done as a home project with hand tools.

Thanks for your time and effort!

73' DE NT1K - Jeff

Edit: Here was my uBitx design
https://grabcad.com/library/ubitx-case-board-assy-1
TU, 73' DE NT1K - JEFF :D
DL2MAN

Post by DL2MAN »

Hi Jeff,

Yes, there have been issues around the licence in the past, but you did not hurt anything or anyone.
I´ve uploaded the step-files of the truSDX to my Page:
https://dl2man.de/1-trusdx-group-buy/
(scroll to the very bottom)

Also added Info about Q4 and Q5 as well as required copper enamel wire.

73 Manuel; DL2MAN
WildMcQ

Post by WildMcQ »

Would a Google form be appropriate to coordinate the groups interest?

Given 100+ people were organizing prior to Mitch's unfortunate passing there may be enough interest to coordinate multiple.

Batching in this way might make it easier to iron out hiccups in the group buy process l think. It could also make it easier to find individuals who are able to offer services like printing or the time to coordinate easier.

I made a quick form that will populate a spreadsheet if it's useful it can be added to the first post for people to sign up with.

TO BE CLEAR THIS FORM IS LIVE BUT NOT CONFIRMED FOR USE IN THIS GROUP BUY

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... sp=sf_link
Last edited by WildMcQ on 04 Jan 2022, 01:29, edited 3 times in total.
Josiahclemence

Post by Josiahclemence »

I would be interested in something like this depending on cost and timing.
VE5HF

Post by VE5HF »

Hi All, I am very sorry to hear about Mitch as well. Seems like it was very sudden and this time of year would be hard for the family to enjoy a New Years for some time. I am very grateful for his wife to even think of our group at this time but it showed how much interest Mitch had in this project.

I am already on the 1st group spreadsheet and had been trying to help Mitch with things and was prepared to resume where he had left off. But I am very glad to hear people are willing to volunteer. I reviewed the great advice that Manuel has already provided us on how to set up the group buy, and it is just a matter of getting things rolling.

We have the list of people that have signed up already to start from, and I suggest we get going with that list. We can take additional names for the next group (if we can fit them in this first round by the time we make the order that would be great), but priority is to get the ball going make progress on making this happen. We can source for 203 kits based on the current spreadsheet count. If some people have dropped off the list, others would be happy to join so a count of 200 should be a safe bet for sourcing and figuring out the final unit price.

I don't know enough about 3D printing or metal fabrication, but it sounds like there is interest in this group with that. I don't like messing with finances, but my wife is a VP of Finance and has graciously volunteered to help us out with this. I am fine doing the logistics of bagging and shipping, and could even distribute that work with others if there were interest. If someone wants to take on ordering Printed Circuit Boards with Surface Mounted component preinstalled (whatever is viable) that would be great. If we have 2-3 people volunteer for Sourcing the remaining parts we can split the work up. Once we have the PCBs sourced and the rest of the parts sourced we will have a blueprint for repeating the ordering process much faster on subsequent buys.

WildMcQ created a google form for volunteering, that I think is a great idea.
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... sp=sf_link

Here is a draft Task List that I had shared with Mitch which can help identify what could be volunteered ...

Compose a parts checklist.
Checkbox, part name, size, quantity, description to help builder identify each part.
Include links to the online build instructions on this website .

Determine the size and cost of standard USPS shipping box/package
single kit vs. multi kit package
Determine the standard shipping method. ( is there any bulk shipping option for regular USPS)
Figure out how to divide the kit components into labelled bags. (ziplocks and padding)

Source the parts
Source the PCBs SMD components, upload the PCB drawings to vendor.
Source all the remaining the components. (Mouser, Digikey, …)

Tally the total cost, divide by 203 to get per person cost.
Covers cost of PCB, components, taxes and shipping costs from the vendors.
Covers the postage, labels, and boxing that will be used
Covers cost of intermediate shipping bulk bags to distribution volunteers (if we use them)
Covers the potential cost of at least two lost/damaged kits .

Note: We have all likely had kits arrive in boxing destroyed by the mail system,
so packaging needs to be secure enough to avoid parts loss.

Order the PCBs (including upload the drawings)

Order the additional parts, standard size shipping packages, packing materials, Ziplock bags, component bag labels.

Financial Volunteer:
Establish payment methods. (Venmo account, Zelle, Paypal account, Check)
Email invoices to everyone in group buy.
Track the payments coming in (Venmo, PayPal, Checks)
Track the shipping costs by distribution volunteers (if used)

Print mailing labels for list of people that have paid.
include number of kits to mail on the label after their name (as a checksum).

Note: will gather mailing address information again since that is not available on the spreadsheet
we have.

Print copies of the checklist for distribution to each kit builder.

Bulk Packaging volunteer: (if we split up the work of shipping)
Divide components into bulk packages. (enough for 50 kits?)

Alternatively you could have a bulk coordinator bag up individual kits
so no sorting, part identification and bag labelling required by distribution volunteer.

Mail bulk parts (bagged kits), and mailing labels to distribution volunteers.

Distribution Volunteers:
Gets enough boxes from USPS for his/her mailing group,
divides bulk parts into individual kit bags
labels each component group bag.
boxes the kit, checklist and mailing label
Goes to post office and to get postage and mails the kit packages
Emails you with number of kit packages mailed and total shipping cost.

If there is something you would like to volunteer with on this list, and if it is ok to use that google form, please do so.

Thank you
---------------------
Terry Shuya. VE5HF/ KN4UWE
Faraaz VK4JJ

Post by Faraaz VK4JJ »

My two cents on this in the final stages of a group buy:

Google tools is invaluable.

Set up a Google Spreadsheet that you can share live with the other administrative members of the group buy - 200 pieces is no small undertaking.

Set up a Google Forms linked to a spreadsheet to collect responses. In this form, take basic details like name, callsign, address, number of units requested. I then include a long page of agreements (such as, this is experimental, I am not providing tech support etc) which individuals have to check boxes to agree.

Separate the form into stages.

The final stage is where you release your payment details by whatever provider you wish. I made individuals tell me their callsign, trusdx and a random character string I included in the Form in the final box to prove that they had read everything carefully.

Then, once you have a list of people, export the 'initial interest' spreadsheet to CSV and use Thunderbird with the Mail Merge addon or whatever Mail Merge client you like to send out an email saying are you still interested? This is how many SMD components you are going to have to solder, this is the rough cost so far.

Add a separate column in your spreadsheet for the 'still interested' parties (you will have an attrition rate here).

Then send THIS list, the link to your Google Form and mail-merge in the number of units they have agreed with you.

Collect payment. Be sure to factor in costs like sales tax, import fees - I have been stung twice with unexpected tax and duties and have had to reach out for extra payment once, with another request for money coming shortly due to import duties on the boards. It gets very confusing tracking everyone's payments and donations so try to get one single payment - it will make your life easier.

Faraaz VK4JJ

Post by Faraaz VK4JJ »

NT1K wrote: 03 Jan 2022, 23:46 Step file would be a nice start. I'll send you an e-mail8

My concern is non-commercial. So I would be going after CC-BY-NC-SA. I'll release .step (.stp) of the assembly (not including your step), .dxf and .dwg of the flats and pdf prints with both SAE/Metric dims. Right now I am looking at 5052 1.5mm (0.060" or 16ga) aluminum

That way anyone could take it to a fab shop and avoid a lot of the up front costs. I'll even attempt to provide various cases to be done as a home project with hand tools.
Jeff,

Thanks for this. This will make a valuable contribution!
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

Rob, I am willing to help. What do you need and how can I help?

Thank you.

Jim Pruitt
WA7DUY
K7RAN

Post by K7RAN »

Would be very grateful to be included!
K7RAN
KD9MDL Bill

Post by KD9MDL Bill »

Sad news about Mitch, God bless his family.. I hope for his wifes sake he didnt have a bunch of parts in the mail?!

I wish to be on the list for 2 kits

Love the idea of the metal inclosure, my crude toolage and skills should make that an adventure

I am willing to help, sounds like there is plenty of help already.. I had offered to help Mitch with sorting parts into kits and getting them sent to individuals.. I have built plenty of kits but never ordered PCBs or components.. willing to learn

Bill Lamm
kd9mdl@gmail.com