US Buy 1 - WildMCQ-***FULL***

NT1K

Re: US Buy

Post by NT1K »

KD9MDL Bill wrote: 04 Jan 2022, 14:53
Love the idea of the metal inclosure, my crude toolage and skills should make that an adventure
I'm aiming to make 3 versions of the case.

One someone can do at home with mostly hand tools. Basically print the flat pattern 1:1 on piece of paper, glue stick it onto a piece of metal and cut/drill on the lines. The hardest part will be bending. You can purchase what's known as a "hand seamer" (used in HVAC Duct work) that will bend thin gauges. You can also take a dremel with a cut off wheel and "score" the bend line and bend by hand (I'm avoiding at all costs due to fast spinny bits that can shatter).

2nd version will be a flat pattern (in .dxf format) that you can give to a local metal shop and have them cut you a flat pattern. It will have relief cuts on the bend lines that will allow you to bend it by hand.

3rd version will be a full case with pressed (PEM) fittings and possibly a silk screen overlay. That way if someone decides to bulk fabricate, they'll have everything they need.

I'm not going to tie up this thread anymore, when I get a draft finished, I'll make a new thread for discussion and/or rev changes.

If anyone that is willing to head up a US Buy for the boards/components, I'd put my name in for 2 units. Even though I have the 3d model of the board/parts, I'd like to have an actual unit in my hands before I throw any official plans up.
TU, 73' DE NT1K - JEFF :D
K9NN

Post by K9NN »

Hello,
I also was on Mitch's original list and would like to buy a kit. I will also watch the sheet metal discussion as I would prefer that type of case. Thanks !!
Dale K9NN
dalehammer@indy.rr.com
va3rr

Post by va3rr »

I also will be keeping an eye out for NT1K's work. I have a lightly used metal brake and a hydraulic press, but no way to nicely cut sheet metal. I don't have a shear, and my hacksaw skills are rudimentary...

If my son could use the plasma cutter at work for hobby use, I would be a happy pappy. Will look at buying some PEM nuts on Aliexpress.
va3rr
Slava Ukraini!
Steve_N1SR

Post by Steve_N1SR »

Hello,

I am interested in 2 "kits".

It looks like Terry, VE5HF/ KN4UWE, has a good start on tasks necessary to complete the job.

Depending on how the project breaks out, and how many volunteer, I'm willing to get involved in the parts inventory/status effort and/or the financial tracking. Likely use "Google Sheets" or equivalent.

I'm located in Western Massachusetts, so physical presence is unlikely.

Let me know.

Steve - N1SR
Krapolla

Post by Krapolla »

I'd be interested in a kit. Could also help with the 3d printing.

KD8ZZJ
KD9PII

Post by KD9PII »

My 3D printer is busted, but I'm willing to help.
Not sure what I could do other than organizing parts and shipping them out.

Phil
KD9PII
AE0OU

Post by AE0OU »

Hi all. I hope I'm not too late but I would like to throw in for one kit also. I'm traveling quite a bit right now so I don't know how much I would be able to help organize.
N1MID

Post by N1MID »

I tried the google dock in a post from 1/3/22, but was unable to access it. (Maybe it's a permissions thing or perhaps the problem is me?) I'd be glad to create a google sheet to track the needs of the group buy, and a google form to act as a "request form," capturing names, addresses, contact numbers etc.

I'd also like to get one kit of my own. :D

Attached a sample of what I mean. That said, I don't know a thing about ordering PCBs or components, so I'd be more of a scribe than an experienced hand.
Screenshot 2022-01-04 222722.jpg
Screenshot 2022-01-04 222722.jpg (69.32 KiB) Viewed 4676 times
WildMcQ

Post by WildMcQ »

Thats odd I dont know what the issue would be with the previous form. I have received results as recently as today from another individual.

Currently I have scraped this thread for all interested parties and have shared the list created by my form and scraping with Terry (VE5HF), who had received the information after the previous US group buy was unable to continue. Right Now I think we are gauging interest for the US market in general and hoping to create a template for future group buys as demand dictates.

Here is the form again.

US Group Buy Sign Up Form

My plan was to collect information like shipping addresses closer to when money starts changing hands, but once emails are collected getting it is as easy as sending out a blast to the group.
WildMcQ

Post by WildMcQ »

So Far I have

*N7ISS -- OP Purchase of 25 planned
VE5HF -- 2 (Volunteered Coordination)
KB4WCP -- 1
W4NDK -- 1
WB8YXF -- 1
KE8PXV -- 1 (Volunteered help)
KJ7RUP -- 2
KD9MDL -- 2
KI5FTY -- 2
K0WDB -- 1
KK4KRU -- 2
KE8SWO -- 1
KD8YMQ -- 2
W2STA -- 4 (volunteered printing)
KC2EDH -- 1
AC2LI -- 1
W2NDG -- 2
NT1K -- 2 (Working on Metal Case Plans)
KD9PII -- 1
VE7ZN -- 2 (volunteered coordination)
kc3rhh -- 1
AC9VC -- 2 (volunteered printing)
AE0OU -- 1
N1SR -- 2
N1MID -- 1
W7MJK -- 1
KG4TTQ -- 1
K7PO -- 1 (Volunteered Parts Sourcing)
KD2YAZ -- 1
W6LKB -- 1
*KD8CGH -- 1
*KJ7ZMP -- 1
*K7RAN -- 1
*KN99 -- 1
*KD8ZZJ -- 1 (volunteered printing)
*W2NDG -- 2
*N6ALT -- 1
*Andy -- ? (Volunteered help)
Myself -- 3 (volunteered printing)

This would be more than 25 kits

I am editing the list to keep it current though we definitely may need to coordinate multiple purchases at this point. Thanks to KD9MDL and KI5FTY for testing the form, I see its working!

This is nearly a full order if all of the unknown quantities only want one. Terry had said the previous order was nearly 100 interested parties. Perhaps this group can be the initial test run then help the rest of the list get through the process.

It would also help if anyone with an asterisk next to their name could fill out the form linked above if the group wants to go in this direction.

It seems like a discord is the next logical step for those who wish to coordinate this!
Last edited by WildMcQ on 06 Jan 2022, 03:08, edited 7 times in total.
W2NDG

Post by W2NDG »

Rob,

I run a Makers class for the W2LCW group weekly, and have been keeping the members up to date on this project, plus I speak for other groups on the subject when I can. I don't have a ton of time to offer, but can offer whatever logistics support you may need. I do the same for my XYL's little craft business, so there must be something I can do. I had originally opted for 2 of the kits from Mitch's group buy. So sad what happened, and the kits are secondary to that, but if you can squeeze one more in, I would be grateful. Please let me know what you need assistance with. Thanks!

Neil, W2NDG radiokitguide.com
Ward K7PO

Post by Ward K7PO »

Saw the ? by my call,interested in 1 kit and will be happy to volunteer wherever needed.

Ward K7PO
KD8YMQ

Post by KD8YMQ »

Condolences to Mitch's family. I was in the original buy, and just submitted the form for 2 kits as part of this buy. Thanks for coordinating :D
miltonics

Post by miltonics »

I was on the original group buy, sad to hear of Mitch's passing.

I've added my name via the google form for the new buy.

I'm interested in one kit and can help organize as needed.
USMCSS

Post by USMCSS »

WildMcQ I just filled out the form. I’d be in for 4 Kits.

I also will help with 3D Printing, which depending on how many kits are ordered, I would assume we will need a good amount of volunteers as 3D Printing can be time consuming. Although maybe not for the size of this radio.

Question On the subject of 3D Printing to whoever created the STL File; I looked at the File and it says to use PETG. I am setup for PLA+ and haven’t dialed in for PETG, was that just listed as what the creator used or is PETG what is recommended? If so why? PLA + is very strong. Is it because of heat issues?

Thank You!!!
NT1K

Post by NT1K »

USMCSS wrote: 05 Jan 2022, 13:18 Question On the subject of 3D Printing to whoever created the STL File; I looked at the File and it says to use PETG. I am setup for PLA+ and haven’t dialed in for PETG, was that just listed as what the creator used or is PETG what is recommended? If so why? PLA + is very strong. Is it because of heat issues?

Thank You!!!
PETG is better than PLA for this particular use. (I'm not a thermoplastics/polymer engineer so take the following with a grain of salt). PLA is excellent for beginners because it's easy to print with. However since PLA is corn based, it's not as strong, not as water resistant and is more sensitive to UV damage compared to PETG.

You can print the enclosure with PLA and shouldn't be much of an issue. However, I would coat the case with a UV blocking clear coat/resin. Even more so if you're going to be /p

I love PETG because it's similar to ABS in some aspects but it doesn't smell as bad as ABS during printing. It's a bit of a pain to setup but once it's dialed in, you should be fine. Much better to setup compared to nylon or tpu.
TU, 73' DE NT1K - JEFF :D
WildMcQ

Post by WildMcQ »

NT1K wrote: 05 Jan 2022, 14:19
USMCSS wrote: 05 Jan 2022, 13:18 Question On the subject of 3D Printing to whoever created the STL File; I looked at the File and it says to use PETG. I am setup for PLA+ and haven’t dialed in for PETG, was that just listed as what the creator used or is PETG what is recommended? If so why? PLA + is very strong. Is it because of heat issues?

Thank You!!!
PETG is better than PLA for this particular use. (I'm not a thermoplastics/polymer engineer so take the following with a grain of salt). PLA is excellent for beginners because it's easy to print with. However since PLA is corn based, it's not as strong, not as water resistant and is more sensitive to UV damage compared to PETG.

You can print the enclosure with PLA and shouldn't be much of an issue. However, I would coat the case with a UV blocking clear coat/resin. Even more so if you're going to be /p

I love PETG because it's similar to ABS in some aspects but it doesn't smell as bad as ABS during printing. It's a bit of a pain to setup but once it's dialed in, you should be fine. Much better to setup compared to nylon or tpu.
According to this article PLA is subject to massive swings in its print quality based on filament storage conditions (though it can exceed PETG in the right hands). Even with this being the case I think for the most part a good PLA+ would probably be sufficient for most peoples use cases (as long as its not printed in black). I have done some long term exposure testing (2yr+) with basic stuff and in the end PLA is still a very resilient material. I'm willing to spool up PETG if that's the direction the group goes, as like you said it really isn't a huge issue from a printing perspective.

I think ultimately it would be wise for us to have a lead print coordinator who can verify print quality of those who want to help out in this way.
Raydeeoh

Post by Raydeeoh »

I was in the original Group Buy list for 2 kits as well, sent to my US a address. I’ve tried to access the fillable Google folder and have the same issue as others, it says it is “not shared”.

I’d still like to buy the kits but if the buy is limited to 25 then I suppose I’m too late. :(
Raydeeoh

Post by Raydeeoh »

I figured one had to open the form in a new tab. Not having used Google Forms before, after submission I'm guessing it can be read by the organizer; however, I have attached a printout of my completed form here.
Robert VE7ZN
US Group Buy Form.JPG
US Group Buy Form.JPG (25.53 KiB) Viewed 4670 times
N6ALT

Post by N6ALT »

Hi All,

I would so like to get in on one complete kit for the US buy but I'm highly confused by all this. If someone could put me down for one kit I would really appreciate it. Thanks from Joel, N6ALT
WildMcQ

Post by WildMcQ »

WildMcQ wrote: 05 Jan 2022, 04:00 So Far I have

*N7ISS -- OP Purchase of 25 planned
VE5HF -- 2 (Volunteered Coordination)
KB4WCP -- 1
W4NDK -- 1
WB8YXF -- 1
KE8PXV -- 1 (Volunteered help)
KJ7RUP -- 2
KD9MDL -- 2
KI5FTY -- 2
K0WDB -- 1
KK4KRU -- 2
KE8SWO -- 1
KD8YMQ -- 2
W2STA -- 4 (volunteered printing)
KC2EDH -- 1
AC2LI -- 1
W2NDG -- 2
NT1K -- 2 (Working on Metal Case Plans)
KD9PII -- 1
VE7ZN -- 2 (volunteered coordination)
kc3rhh -- 1
AC9VC -- 2 (volunteered printing)
AE0OU -- 1
N1SR -- 2
N1MID -- 1
W7MJK -- 1
KG4TTQ -- 1
K7PO -- 1 (Volunteered Parts Sourcing)
KD2YAZ -- 1
W6LKB -- 1
*KD8CGH -- 1
*KJ7ZMP -- 1
*K7RAN -- 1
*KN99 -- 1
*KD8ZZJ -- 1 (volunteered printing)
*W2NDG -- 2
*N6ALT -- 1
*Andy -- ? (Volunteered help)
Myself -- 3 (volunteered printing)

This would be more than 25 kits
Quoting this to keep it on the most recent page so its easier for everyone to see where it stands. I have shared the sheet with Terry so far. The following signs are willing to help Coordinate

VE5HF
KJ7RUP
KD9MDL
ke8swo
KD9PII
W2NDG
VE7ZN

Though at this stage Im not sure of what that means without hearing back from the Original Poster now that we are over the planned 25 units. Im working for the rest of the business day but Id be happy to hear what others think the next logical step forward is! Until then I will continue to keep as up to date as I can with the interested parties.

EDIT: I am currently putting the list up in the order that they coming through onto the form, given that we are potentially over the initial group buy I think there will need to be discussion on what the final order for this list should look like. When scraping the thread initially I put those parties in chronological order, though some haven't yet completed the form so are listed with an Asterisk towards the bottom as a result. I can resort it later if need be.
Last edited by WildMcQ on 06 Jan 2022, 03:07, edited 2 times in total.
USMCSS

Post by USMCSS »

Thank You!!!

Sounds good Jeff! Thanks!
USMCSS

Post by USMCSS »

WildMcQ wrote: 05 Jan 2022, 15:04

Thank You!!!

According to this article PLA is subject to massive swings in its print quality based on filament storage conditions (though it can exceed PETG in the right hands). Even with this being the case I think for the most part a good PLA+ would probably be sufficient for most peoples use cases (as long as its not printed in black). I have done some long term exposure testing (2yr+) with basic stuff and in the end PLA is still a very resilient material. I'm willing to spool up PETG if that's the direction the group goes, as like you said it really isn't a huge issue from a printing perspective.

I think ultimately it would be wise for us to have a lead print coordinator who can verify print quality of those who want to help out in this way.
I’m willing to go what ever way the group goes. I think everything should be uniform. I’ve only been printing one year and not much but what I have printed so far has come off great in PLA +, including a lower. Haven’t had any field testing though. I think Olive Drab PLA+ would be Awesome!

The more I think about it, these units will be in direct sunlight and I think that will be a problem for some. Especially if left in a car. So I’m leaning toward PETG. Do we need an enclosure with PETG?
N1MID

Post by N1MID »

Must have been me! I was able to click the link you included and it worked... Sadly I am way past #25. Here's hoping we do a few rounds!
WildMcQ wrote: 05 Jan 2022, 03:48 Thats odd I dont know what the issue would be with the previous form. I have received results as recently as today from another individual.

Currently I have scraped this thread for all interested parties and have shared the list created by my form and scraping with Terry (VE5HF), who had received the information after the previous US group buy was unable to continue. Right Now I think we are gauging interest for the US market in general and hoping to create a template for future group buys as demand dictates.

Here is the form again.

US Group Buy Sign Up Form

My plan was to collect information like shipping addresses closer to when money starts changing hands, but once emails are collected getting it is as easy as sending out a blast to the group.
WildMcQ

Post by WildMcQ »

I created a discord for the coordination of US group buys and will blast it our to everyone later tonite. Here is a link for those interested now. As a few of us have said it would be great to take this first experience and use it as a template for others to follow in the future!

https://discord.gg/qk9U3rMvqw