Sticky: Post (tr)uSDX questions for the developers (Manuel DL2MAN and Guido PE1NNZ) in here

Faraaz VK4JJ

Sticky: Post (tr)uSDX questions for the developers (Manuel DL2MAN and Guido PE1NNZ) in here

Post by Faraaz VK4JJ »

Dear all,

Please use this thread to ask specific questions to Manuel and Guido regarding the (tr)usdx.
This is NOT for troubleshooting - use the appropriate forum.

--------

Will the initial trusdx programming be able to be done over USB? Or will it have to be done via the ISP?

Faraaz
DL2MAN

Re: Initial programming over USB?

Post by DL2MAN »

Hello Faraaz,

The initial Programming contains the Bootloader, that makes subsequent programming via USB possible.
This initial programming (Uploading Bootloader) can only be done via ISP. This can be done by the Group buy organizer, so his customers donßt need ISP Programming equipment.
But as you know from the uSDX: All it takes is an Arduino UNO, so even that is no big thing.

73 Manuel; DL2MAN
PY2BND

LCD display 1602

Post by PY2BND »

Hi Manuel, congrats for (tr)uSDX. As I understood (tr)uSDX FW will be closed and supplied as binary. I guess it's necessary as a ripoff countermeasure. Is there any expectations to get (one day) a FW that is able to drive a 1602 LCD instead of OLED? The reason for my request is that small OLED displays are quite hard to read under direct sunlight without shadow, conditions that are common when I'm doing SOTA activations on a mountain top.
DL2MAN

Re: LCD display 1602

Post by DL2MAN »

Hello PY2BND,

unfortunately there will be no Version with LCD.
For one, we decided to standardize Hardware of the (tr)uSDX and another reason is the spcae requirement on the existing Form Factor.
In your case I´d suggest to built a uSDX Sandwich with 5 or 8 Band Board and the LCD IO Board.

73 Manuel; DL2MAN
w1wk

Re: Sticky: Post (tr)uSDX questions for the developers (Manuel DL2MAN and Guido PE1NNZ) in here

Post by w1wk »

Does it seem correct that it'd be reasonable to use some kind of USB-C Power Delivery Adapter (something like https://www.amazon.com/2-Pack-JacobsPar ... B08NS491XW, with an additional plug adapter to correct the dimensions) to allow usage off of a USB-C (PD-enabled) battery while also allowing for more than 0.5W of output?
DL2MAN

Re: Sticky: Post (tr)uSDX questions for the developers (Manuel DL2MAN and Guido PE1NNZ) in here

Post by DL2MAN »

Hi, first of all:
It is not USB C type connector on the trusdx, and max allowed Voltage on USB Micro port of trusdx is 5V.
If you want to supply the device with more voltage, it needs to be done via barrel jack.

73 Manuel DL2MAN
w1wk

Post by w1wk »

Got it. So as long as I can find an appropriate adapter to get the USB-C power pack to negotiate to a proper voltage and deliver DC via a barrel jack -- something like the thing I linked above -- it seems like it'll work. Thanks!

Last question -- USB-C PD can do 15V, but not 12V or 13.8V. Do you have a sense of if, ultimately, it'd be more efficient to just run the trusdx at 15V (if I'm reading the overview on the manual right that's still within acceptable limits), or if it'd be wiser to use a step-down regulator to 13.8V before passing it to the radio's power supply?
DL2MAN

Post by DL2MAN »

I just have put it on 15V (for Science) and tested it. Efficiency doesn´t increase. I decreases around 1%. But Output Power is higher of course. But we´re still fine. As long as you do not tweak the coils for 6W @12V you should be safe at 15V.
My advise would be: Don´t use a step down converter. This costs efficiency and most likely will create noise.

73 Manuel; DL2MAN
PY2BND

Post by PY2BND »

Is there a way, or make it sense to port uSDX open source FW from Guidos GitHub to the latest (tr)uSDX HW from You. What would be the disadvantage regarding the latest (tr)uSDX FW binary that Guido released?
BrendonHills

Post by BrendonHills »

Hi,

First of all thanks for your hard work with this project!

I have been lucky enough to join the UK group buy. As I understand it the (tru)SDX covers 80-20m. I have been looking through your website but can't seem to find an answer to the question "Why does it stop at 20m?" Is there a reason for this, as I thought the original SDX was 80-10m? Are there any plans to extend coverage later? If so how will this be acheived - will it mean a new rig or re-designed RF board within the existing footprint?

Many thanks

Daimon. G4USI
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

EDIT: I might have found the answer myself after some more internet research. In Manuel's assembly youtube video, unfortunately the part numbers are not visible. However, he refers to SMT versions which are a bit cheaper than the THT models. A comparison of the models at other suppliers (e.g., Farnell, with a more useful datasheet https://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1717896.pdf) suggest that the IM43TS is actually a DPDT type relay, too. Furthermore, the only difference seems to be that it is THT compared to SMT mount.
Consequently, it seems that the corresponding tech spec entry on Mouser is not fully correct.
73 de Stefan DF3ST

Original Question:
Hi,
I've got a question regarding the relays of the (tr)uSDX. In the BOM CSV of the RF PCB, the relay model link points to the model IM43GR, which is a 2 Form C (DPDT-NO, NC) type (https://www.mouser.de/ProductDetail/655-IM43GR), whereas the link on the (tr)uSDX website points to the model IM43TS, a 1 Form C (SPDT-NO, NC) type (https://www.mouser.de/ProductDetail/TE- ... 4eqmXj8M7P).

I guess, the one on the home page is the model to be used. Could you please confirm?

Thanks a lot for all your efforts - great work! :)

vy 73 de Stefan DF3ST
DL2MAN

Post by DL2MAN »

PY2BND wrote: 04 Jan 2022, 15:43 Is there a way, or make it sense to port uSDX open source FW from Guidos GitHub to the latest (tr)uSDX HW from You. What would be the disadvantage regarding the latest (tr)uSDX FW binary that Guido released?
Hi, It´s possible if you have some programming skills, but it´s not wanted or supported by us.
We want to provide a standardized rig. If you want to rape firmware, you´re on your own.

73 Manuel; DL2MAN
DL2MAN

Post by DL2MAN »

BrendonHills wrote: 04 Jan 2022, 15:57 "Why does it stop at 20m?" Is there a reason for this, as I thought the original SDX was 80-10m? Are there any plans to extend coverage later? If so how will this be acheived - will it mean a new rig or re-designed RF board within the existing footprint?

Many thanks

Daimon. G4USI
Hello Daimon,

I have stated at my front page: (dl2man.de)
Right now it covers 80/60/40/30/20m and in Future there will be support for 17/15/12/10m as well
The reason to limit the amount of Bands was the available Space of the Cretit Card Sized PCB´s together with the new SWR and Current measurement Hardware. I could not fit more on there.
And 80m-20m are the classical Bands, that majority of people use.
Support of the upper Bands will come in Form of a new BOM, using the same PCB´s. They just need to carry different coils and Capacitors. And of course the software will be changed to be able to select the Bands.

73 Manuel; DL2MAN
DL2MAN

Post by DL2MAN »

Stefan wrote: 04 Jan 2022, 18:15 (...)IM43GR vs IM43TS(...)

vy 73 de Stefan DF3ST
I originally suggested to use IM43GR SMT Relays and bend out the legs to use them as THT Parts. That always worked for me.
However: The most problems from my test builders were caused by the too short feet of the bent SMT Relay feet. If you do not 120% take care about correct soldering, it causes the issue of "Band not working".
No big deal, easy to find and easy fix, but a lot of Mails for me to answer....
In Order to prevent that, I now suggest to use IM43TS (the THT Version of this Relay) to reduce your failure rate.

73 Manuel; DL2MAN
EA5HQ

Post by EA5HQ »

Hi

It looks like I am on the hook for 3D printing the enclosures for the PL / EU group buy that is going on at the moment (just closed with 70 kits). I saw some mention that somebody had to print with a 1.01 factor scale in order to get the boards to fit.

Do the 3D models have some clearance in order to allow for variations in the 3D printing process? I will be printing with PET-G on an Ender 3 / Ender 5 using 0.4mm nozzle.

It would be a bummer to print 25+ enclosures to find that I get 25 complaints that they need to sand the PCB / enclosure to get them to fit. I have a bit of a catch - 22 that I won't have a PCB set to test my prints with until all the kits have been sent out, so I have to make some leap of faith.

Cheers

Marcus EA5HQ
DL2MAN

Post by DL2MAN »

Hello Marcus,

The 3D Models have clearance according good design practices. But they cannot compensate if your printer is calibrated 1-2% off.... I printed everything on a Prusa i3 MK3S+ at100% and everything came out perfectly.

What I would do in your case:
1. Start with calibrating your printer. Use https://teachingtechyt.github.io/calibration.html as a Guide.
2. AFter calibrating your printer as good as you can, start with the Bottom Cover. It should be 85x55x1,6mm. Measure with digital caliper and scale your prints until you get those dimensions in reality. This is the exact same dimensions as the PCB´s that are going to be inside the housing.
SO if you manage to print 2 Accurate Bottom Covers, you have a set of stencils to test if all the housings can be assembled and if the PCB´s will fit in there.

73 Manuel; DL2MAN
storyofyouandme

Post by storyofyouandme »

A question about whistling

Hello, dl2man, I found a problem. At present, all versions of USDX do not solve the problem of waijie speaker howling, especially when the volume is greater than 12. When you convert SSB and CW modes, howling will inevitably occur. I am building your new version of trusdx. If nothing happens, this howling will still exist. I observed that you replaced 4562 with 6231. Personally, I don't think howling can be solved by replacing operational amplifier. Of course, you are an expert in this field. I'd like to hear your opinion. Finally, I agree with you that you don't open firmware. You know, not all Chinese hams get something for nothing, which can also keep us real Chinese hams from being ashamed. Finally, I would like to pay tribute to you and thank you for your efforts.
storyofyouandme

Post by storyofyouandme »

DL2MAN wrote: 04 Jan 2022, 21:19
PY2BND wrote: 04 Jan 2022, 15:43 Is there a way, or make it sense to port uSDX open source FW from Guidos GitHub to the latest (tr)uSDX HW from You. What would be the disadvantage regarding the latest (tr)uSDX FW binary that Guido released?
Hi, It´s possible if you have some programming skills, but it´s not wanted or supported by us.
We want to provide a standardized rig. If you want to rape firmware, you´re on your own.

73 Manuel; DL2MAN
To be exact, it can be done. Before dl2man adopted the current display interface, a friend of mine already used a similar interface. Of course, it does not discuss who used whose creativity, but only that if you have certain programming skills, you can do it. However, I still agree that dl2man does not open source firmware, so that this project can really go on healthily.
VE3 VWG

Post by VE3 VWG »

Hi , are we responsible for the case of the radio or is it supplied by the developers? A 3D printer option would be nice to expand the case for a battery option.
Faraaz VK4JJ

Post by Faraaz VK4JJ »

VE3 VWG wrote: 06 Jan 2022, 22:50 Hi , are we responsible for the case of the radio or is it supplied by the developers? A 3D printer option would be nice to expand the case for a battery option.
https://www.prusaprinters.org/prints/10 ... dx-housing
DL2MAN

Post by DL2MAN »

storyofyouandme wrote: 06 Jan 2022, 07:39 speaker howling, especially when the volume is greater than 12.
Yes, this is known, and we will solve this, but it has nothing to do with OP-Amps. More with self resonance effects.

73 Manuel; DL2MAN
DL2MAN

Post by DL2MAN »

VE3 VWG wrote: 06 Jan 2022, 22:50 (...) battery option (...)
Battery option will come. But my day has unfortunately only 24 hours.

73 Manuel; DL2MAN
latewarning

Post by latewarning »

The TCA9555PWR is out of stock in JLC, digikey and mouser. N1SR pointed to PCA9539:

"The PCA9539; PCA9539R is identical to the PCA9555 except for the removal of the
internal I/O pull-up resistor which greatly reduces power consumption when the I/Os are
held LOW, replacement of A2 with RESET and a different address range"

Pin 3 is connected to GND. Would it be possible to use the PCA9539 by cutting the track to pin 2 and connecting it instead to pin 1, so connecting the reset to high?
va3rr

Post by va3rr »

When I tried to order boards from JCLPCB last Friday, the TCA9555PWR was OOS. But when I checked again on Monday, Jan 10, it was available. Take it FWIW, as I haven't received shipping notice yet. 🤞

If the stars come into proper alignment, maybe the part will come back in stock again...
Slava Ukraini!
DF6MZ

Post by DF6MZ »

Manuel, can I ask which external microphone you are using in the youtube video? Is it possible to use a ptt/mic/speaker handset? Or could you tell me the pinout/functions of the 3,5 mm jacks so I can make my own?
73, Martin DF6MZ