Sticky: Post (tr)uSDX questions for the developers (Manuel DL2MAN and Guido PE1NNZ) in here

yo3ggx

Re: Sticky: Post (tr)uSDX questions for the developers (Manuel DL2MAN and Guido PE1NNZ) in here

Post by yo3ggx »

Hello Guido,

Tried to contact you directly several times by email, but I didn't received any answer for you , so I post here again. I currently have one (tr)uSDX borrowed from a friend. I really want to fully support it in Pocket RxTx v4 I'm working on. For the ones interested, it is available for download as an experimental version here: https://prxtx.yo3ggx.ro/exp.html and already has minimal support for (tr)uSDX) (frequency, mode and PTT). Please just tell me if you are still interested. if not, then I will return it as I keep it just for this purpose.

Thank you,
73 Dan YO3GGX
pe1nnz wrote: 20 Jun 2022, 10:12 Hi Dan,

Thanks for congrats and reaching out to us.

It would indeed be great to have Pocket RxTx support for the (tr)uSDX.
The (tr)uSDX is loosly implementing the TS480 CAT protocol [1]; make sure to keep DTR stable (as it is used for resetting the rig during programming). RTS is used for keying the rig in CW. The list of currently supported cmds is [2].

We are having a development firmware that also is capable of streaming audio over the same CAT connection, a special CAT command is used to enable it and to make distinction between the other CAT commands. In this way Pocket RxTx could make the receiver audio audible via the phone speaker and use this for showing a waterfall and/or doing some digital modes decoding (is Pocket RxTx supporting digit modes?). Also audio streaming for TX is coming.

Please reach out in private to my personal email: pe1nnz (at) amsat.org and we can work together if you like.

73, Guido

[1] https://www.kenwood.com/i/products/info ... 480_pc.pdf

[2] FA, FAx, IF, ID, PS, AI, AI0, MD, MDx, RX, TXx, AG0, XT1, RT1, RC, FL0, RS, VXx, UKx, UD, UAx, US
ik6den

Re: Sticky: Post (tr)uSDX questions for the developers (Manuel DL2MAN and Guido PE1NNZ) in here

Post by ik6den »

hello, to do the tests on the high bands, without tampering with the original version, I would like to buy only the pcb with the RF part, is it possible?
best 73 de ik6den
DL2MAN

Post by DL2MAN »

Classic and High Band RF Boards are on the Way to me for evaluation.
Once we have tested, they will be available via Sunny.

73 Maneul, DL2MAN
N6WLM

Post by N6WLM »

Is the source code for the (tr)uSDX available? I tried compiling the uSDX (https://github.com/threeme3/usdx) with various flags but it is not quite the same as the official firmware. The repo has not been updated for 4 months. Is there another repository somewhere housing the latest (tr)uSDX source code?
RichardB

Post by RichardB »

Why can't one search for that contain relevant keywords? Most of my searches end with being told the word is too common. For example, I am in the General Information for 'firmware' and it won't do it because it is too common. Maybe so, but it is also relevant to my search and about the only keyword I can think of to find information on the firmware.
DL2MAN

Post by DL2MAN »

@N6WLM
No, the source code for (tr)uSDX is not available. (tr)uSDX is Creative Commons, but not open source.

@RichardB:
This setting was enabled by default in the forum software. I´ve disabled it now.

73 Manuel; DL2MAN
UR5TLZ

Post by UR5TLZ »

Hi! What is the safe range of antenna SWR that uSDX can operate with?
Ohwenzelph

Post by Ohwenzelph »

How closely should the 470nF C25-28 caps be matched to keep the two sides of the Tayloe detector tightly balanced?
0.1%, 1%, 2%, 5%,10%, or 20% caps? Some times it's cheaper to buy a bunch of 10% parts than to get four 1% ones, and then out of the bunch find four that are within a couple percent of each other, so not spot on for the nominal value, but pretty well matched to each other.
So the question how closely matched to each other, do you think the parts need to be to get the best performance you can when listening by ear (as opposed to measuring with high tech precision equipment).
Last edited by Ohwenzelph on 29 Aug 2022, 05:00, edited 1 time in total.
K5RAB

Post by K5RAB »

Hi Manuel,

Please take a look at this thread:

viewtopic.php?t=602

I'm hoping you could implement this modification in the next revision of the PCB. I'm interested in your thoughts about it.

Also, I'm curious what Layout software you used to design the PCB. I'm a professional PCB designer (New Horizon's Probe, Mars Rover, Kepler, and many more). I couldn't help but inspect the gerbers. ;)

Robb
K5RAB
K5RAB

Post by K5RAB »

Oh, nevermind. KiCad. I see it in the schematics title block.

Robb
K5RAB
SP3BTC

Post by SP3BTC »

Two questions to the development team:
  • 1. I believe that you are working on adding USB audio streaming. Do you have any, even rough ETA on a stable firmware release with that feature? Use case: single-cable operation reduces cables clutter and weight for digital modes SOTA-kind of operations.
  • 2. By any chance, are you also working on adding FULL support for CAT control or any other serial commands via USB? I believe some CAT commands work, like changing the frequency but not all. It would be great if it was possible to change mode, enable VOX, measure SWR just by running some commands via USB. Use case: operating the radio remotely.
Thanks
N1CJ

Post by N1CJ »

Hello,
I have a question and I have a request.

Question: Just to confirm, does the menu button have any other functions assigned to it for double-press or long-press?

Request: I only run the (tr)uSDX on battery power. I know I can check the voltage by setting the SWR display to show PWR-VSS and then pressing PTT in CW mode, but I prefer it to show SWR, and it's kind of a hassle to switch between them, and of course that only works in CW mode. Would it be possible to update the firmware to show VSS when long pressing the menu button? Hopefully that could work in SSB mode as well.

Thanks for the consideration.
73 - N1CJ
DH2LAB

Post by DH2LAB »

Information could be displayed in the lower "CW-decoder line" in the phone-modes or CW-decoder OFF.
73 de Matt, DH2LAB
N1CJ

Post by N1CJ »

DH2LAB wrote: 17 Oct 2022, 22:50 Information could be displayed in the lower "CW-decoder line" in the phone-modes or CW-decoder OFF.
Hi Manuel. That would also be a great place for the voltage to display.
73 - N1CJ
Ohwenzelph

Post by Ohwenzelph »

Could 1uF caps be substituted for the 470nF ones at C25-28?
s54mtb

Post by s54mtb »

I hope I am not asking something what one should never ask :)

Is there KiCad source available?

I would like to play around with some alternative components (just for myself, no posting online).
N6WLM

Post by N6WLM »

For debugging purposes can you run the (tr)uSDX without the RF board attached? Is it okay to transmit into nothing with no RF board? I would like to debug an issue I am having and it would be easier to probe without the RF board attached.
DL2MAN

Post by DL2MAN »

Ohwenzelph wrote: 03 Dec 2022, 02:09 Could 1uF caps be substituted for the 470nF ones at C25-28?
Should not be done. The caps need to be a specific size, matching the surrounding parts.
s54mtb wrote: 12 Dec 2022, 23:22 Is there KiCad source available?
No, (tr)uSDX is not open SOURCE, it´s creative commons. The KiCad files will not be shared. Once they are out there, there´s no way to keep control over it.
N6WLM wrote: 13 Dec 2022, 10:36 For debugging purposes can you run the (tr)uSDX without the RF board attached? Is it okay to transmit into nothing with no RF board? I would like to debug an issue I am having and it would be easier to probe without the RF board attached.
Absolutely no problem. I do that all the time.

73 Manuel; DL2MAN
Ronan

Post by Ronan »

Is it currently possible to change the CW side-tone frequency to 700Hz? If not, is this something that could be implemented in future firmware?

I can't see this mentioned anywhere so apologies if it has been already dealt with.

Cheers,
Ronan
DL2MAN

Post by DL2MAN »

Hello,

no, CW Pitch and Offset are fix. Since it is a direct mixing device (No IF), the filters are hard coded around a certain Pitch/Offset. For more than 1 Offset, we don´t have enough space.

73 Manuel, DL2MAN
Ronan

Post by Ronan »

Thanks for responding so quickly.
It's a shame that the pitch can't be tweaked as the current tone is quite low and can be difficult to hear. A 700 Hz tone seems to be a good balance of not-too-high and not-too-low....

Great little radio, nonetheless. I bought mine from Up Tech Store on AliExpress and the power output is exactly on spec. I did have to clean up some messy soldering though.

Cheers,
Ronan
jginaz

Post by jginaz »

I use a high band tr(usdx) for FT8 a great deal and was wondering why not have an option for power/swr measurement on SSB since FT8 is essentially CW.
It would be handy for portable use.
DL2MAN

Post by DL2MAN »

This has technical reasons.
It turned out that on SSB TX the AtMega is sooooo busy, that it is very hard to do implement SWR measurement.
It´s top priority on ToDo List, but at this point not sure if we can do it....

73 Manuel; DL2MAN
jginaz

Post by jginaz »

DL2MAN wrote: 31 Dec 2022, 18:10 This has technical reasons.
It turned out that on SSB TX the AtMega is sooooo busy, that it is very hard to do implement SWR measurement.
It´s top priority on ToDo List, but at this point not sure if we can do it....

73 Manuel; DL2MAN
Manuel, thanks for the succinct answer.
Jay KE7OT